Groupon GoPro Hero 3

Jetpilot

I know there is a difference between the black and white versions, hopefully someone can elaborate.

Looking at the website, the white is 1080p @ 30fps and the black is 1080p @ 60fps and also support 4k @ 12 fps, so for video the black is better but I doubt 1080p @ 30fps will be too bad quality for most of us. The black can also take 12MP stills with 30 fps burst, the white is only 5MP with a 3 fps burst. The black also comes with the Wifi remote control which is an optional extra for the white.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but here goes...

I wanted an in car camera to record track days, as well as being used as a dash cam in the future if I ever felt the need. I had a go with a friends Hero 2 and was disappointed with the sound. After reading reviews like this one:

http://www.techmoan....0p-micro-c.html

I bought this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161057520191 and it only took a week to arrive from HK.

Although it isn't as high a spec as some of the equipment listed here, it cost £50, and both the audio and video are definitely better than the GoPro Hero 2 (the owner of the GoPro agrees). Only downside at the moment is that there isnt a waterproof housing for it.

So far, highly recommended :thumbs:

EDIT: there are also UK suppliers if you are in a rush for it :)

Edited by jjt

I wanted an in car camera to record track days, as well as being used as a dash cam in the future if I ever felt the need. I had a go with a friends Hero 2 and was disappointed with the sound. After reading reviews like this one:

I bought this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161057520191 and it only took a week to arrive from HK.

Although it isn't as high a spec as some of the equipment listed here, it cost £50, and both the audio and video are definitely better than the GoPro Hero 2 (the owner of the GoPro agrees). Only downside at the moment is that there isnt a waterproof housing for it.

I just added that to my watch list, looks really good. I keep toying with the idea of a dash cam

That looks a neat bit of kit..did you have to pay any UK duty or vat on it ?. :thumbs:

Got to be careful with Groupon offers, there are some cons amongst the good stuff. Mrs glrnet was going to buy 60 rolls of kitchen paper last week, cracking price, but only half the normal number of sheets on a roll!!! :thumbdown: Unfortunatley they are now known in the Smurf household a s Groupcon now!

I just added that to my watch list, looks really good. I keep toying with the idea of a dash cam

It even has a HDR mode if you want to include yourself and the cockpit in the video. Have a look at this in 1080p...

That looks a neat bit of kit..did you have to pay any UK duty or vat on it ?. :thumbs:

Not yet....

It even has a HDR mode if you want to include yourself and the cockpit in the video. Have a look at this in 1080p...

Not yet....

Great quality, where is this ?. Lovely area. :thumbs:

Have you got any of your own video recordings yet?

Only of me driving around by where I live, which were very impressive. I'm at Oulton on Tuesday so hopefully have something after that :thumbs:

• Like 2

It has a battery pack built in which lasts 80mins, and can be replaced. You can also get external battery packs for longer power. I also bought an extra long usb cable for like 3 quid and it will power from the lighter with a USB adapter, and you can even set the camera up to record automatically when it gets usb power, and re-record over the oldest clips, like on a CCTV system which makes it perfect for dash cam work. Plus its tiny, the size of a keyring, so hopefully not a target to thieves

It has a battery pack built in which lasts 80mins, and can be replaced. You can also get external battery packs for longer power. I also bought an extra long usb cable for like 3 quid and it will power from the lighter with a USB adapter, and you can even set the camera up to record automatically when it gets usb power, and re-record over the oldest clips, like on a CCTV system which makes it perfect for dash cam work. Plus its tiny, the size of a keyring, so hopefully not a target to thieves

Can you get a suction cup mount to attach it to a car panel?

• Like 1

Can you get a suction cup mount to attach it to a car panel?

Yes it's about 4 quid! I got one which allows it to be more securely attached by 3m tape like helmet cams are attached with, also about £4!