chubby ninjas supercharged build, update page 5!

well I thought I better start a build thread, ive been meaning to do it since last year but never seem to have the time and its been a VERY stressful time for me. by leaving it this long im sure I will miss things out so if theres any questions please ask away :) .well I had an evo 8 FQ300 running 390hp before the zed and I owned it for 3 1/2 years. it was very fast but somewhat unrefined, its hard to explain but when pushing it felt like it was on edge and you always had the feeling that you were going to be killed! :scare: . the main reason I sold it was because the sheer cost of keeping it on the road was unbelievable and when buying a house then loosing my job the next week, times were hard so decided id sell it and buy my first ever sensible car and get an audi A4 diesel estate. well while on autotrader I got bored looking at audis and thought its just not me so started looking at different options and ended up with the zed last minute :lol: . my plan was that its a nice car and it would be the first car I ever kept standard :blush: .here she is when I first took her to crail. surprisingly it got a lot of looks and people taking photos

IMG_0182_zps4ee6af02.png

DSCF6353_zpsc2b9e7ec.jpg

I had the car about a month and I had the cats ripped off and a set of japspeed decats put on and fitted by myself. my first real job id really done on a car. then I bought and fitted a japspeed k1 exhaust and hated it from the second I started the car(infact I hated it while fitting it as it didn't line up with the decats properly and the tailpipes rested on the bumper. totally crap quality and far too loud for my liking. Then the decats cracked after being on the car for about two months so I got them replaced and then bought silenced ones aswell (3rd and final mistake!) I also bought a megan racing y pipe from America and that rattled from day 1 and had the hissing rattle at 2k revs.

IMG_0309_zps60209098.jpg

I fitted the silenced decats and they lasted 3 months before they started rattling so I took them off and the silencers had melted, all the baffles had blown out and there was little bits of metal stuck in the silencers. so I fitted the replacement unsilenced decats from japspeed and they are a different design now and still holding up. I also heat wrapped them but that's whats probably holding them together :lol: .

IMG_0660_zps5f7ab16d.jpg

The megan y pipe finally blew out the flexis after 6 months so I got a cobra y pipe from tarmac and its fitted great, the quality is brilliant and it still looks new today :D .

I was starting to feel that the car needed something in the looks department so I decided to source some wheels. I ended up buying a set of ROTA fighters off rare rims finished in titanium chrome, at first they looked a lot shinier than they did in the photos but they quickly grew on me.

IMG_0176_zps01e744d9.png

IMG_0208_zps883c4e03.jpg

I fancied a little project so I tried my first attempt at polishing metal and done my plenum and strut brace.

468_zps76308052.jpg

IMG_0538_zps9050d544.jpg

IMG_0581_zpsfb372d46.jpg

Its not perfect but im quite happy with it for now. I also got a custom wasso plenum spacer at the same time and fitted that. got it in gold and it looks awesome, great quality too.

After 6 months the japspeed k1 snapped in half! :scare: they wanted to send me a new one but I insisted on a refund and bought a cobra resonated instead and love it. ive heard people saying that the resonated cobra is quiet but fitted with the y pipe and un silenced decats it pretty damn loud! So after getting used to that sound I wanted a little extra noise so went online to look at air filter options one night and that's where it all went downhill from there!!

after trailing through different sections on websites I came to the conclusion that my zed was going to be CHARGED!!!!

After doing a good bit of research I jumped in and placed my order with an American company called Assaultech (biggest mistake!) I ordered a vortech V-3 Sci tuner kit,smaller pulley for more boost, Deatschwerks 600cc injectors, Walbro 255L/Hr fuel pump, AAM stage 0 fuel return system, and some other bits and bobs. They told me my order would take 3-4 weeks to get from vortech to them then a week from them to me. Well, 7 1/2 months of stress with them not replying to my emails, or when they did it was blatant lies, and they never answered their phone. the usual excuse was to blame vortech for messing them about. but after all that time this finally arrived!

charger_zpsbdaf6e08.jpg

IMG_0748_zpsca71f9b4.jpg

I was told all my fuelling stuff was a day or two away so I got the car stripped and started fitting the charger. well a week went by and still no fuelling stuff, they had sent it to my address in Scotland, Ireland??? so it was stuck in irish customs for another month it finally got re sent to me. so a month later my felling stuff arrived

contents_zpsb13cbf3a.jpg

BRILLIANT!!! I thought, until I realised the fuel return system was missing! assaultech yet again blamed their distributors. after another 5 weeks of getting messed about and having to borrow a car from my parents and pay monthly insurance on top of my own it finally arrived so got right to work

Edited by The Chubby Ninja

I sent my ecu away to mark at abbey motorsport to get a base map put on it and get a GT MAF sensor sent back aswell. hopefully in a couple of weeks il be taking the long drive down from Scotland to abbey in surrey for a mapping session and il put up some figures when I get them :D

Least you finally got it, I've used them in the past as it was cheaper to have a trade account with them rather than the $X0,000 buy in for a lower discount tier at Vortech, they messed me about with Gary's and we both ended up dealing direct with Vortech to sort it, needless to say I wouldn't pee on that dirty sh1tty company if it was on fire !! I now deal direct and pay more to ensure I get the kits within a month. Might do a group buy across three forums soon do get the better tier :lol:

• Like 2

thanks for the comments guys, its a great sense of achievement to do all this work myself and with some help from my mate. if I were to do it again id order through tarmac (or if it was right now id just buy octets :lol: ) as its seriously not worth the stress dealing with assaultech. I considered making a big post on my350z.com slating them and how bad they are but ive just decided to learn from my mistakes and put the word on here and hopefully no one else on the forum falls for these useless conmen.

I thought u didnt take any photos =) when you booked into abbey?

I took a couple lol but not as much as I really should of. once I get working I get in the zone and forget to take pics :lol: . were just trying to get the base map near perfect for driving down via an Osiris uprev cable and mark making changes to the map for me. its running perfect around town but at 70mph its too rich running at 10 on the AFR but marks editing the map today for me and once all is well ill get booked up. probably be a couple of weeks yet as I want to wait til vlads back from mother Russia as im meeting him on the way back from mapping and staying at a hotel near leamington spa and were going to have a little meet and maybe a few drinks. anyones welcome if they are in the area. il put a topic up for it when I know dates etc

This is awesome!

Out of interest, how did you polish up the upper plenum?

cheers mate. I got a few different grades of flappy sanding wheels that go in a drill to get the worst of the cast off, then an orbital sander to get it all smooth and a dremel to get the more awkward bits. then wet and dry sanding paper working my way from rough right up to very fine. then blue and brown metal polish and polishing wheels on a drill and finished it off with some meguiars metal polish by hand. it must of took me about 20 hours of work and its not perfect yet so eventually il take it off and start again :wacko: . wasso on here does an exchange service where you give him your plenum and he gives you a polished one back. his are exceptional and look awesome and for what he charges is an absolute steal as hes basicly robbing himself with the amount of time he puts into them

• Like 2

You just need the Custom Vortech Charge Pipe now :lol: :lol:

Well done mate!

I really would like the charge pipe but im absolutely skint the now. ive got a few hundred pound cash for fuel to abbey and the mappings going on the credit card :lol: . unless you would trade me it for a live haggis and some magic beans :lol:

another thing I forgot to add was that it failed an MOT due to a worn bush so got the full front of the car poly bushed and it wasn't cheap. unfortunately no pics of this though :dry:

Also bought a mishimoto racing thermostat from bennet (gt4zed) and fitted that just before the charger. I keep forgetting things so il add them as i go. I think my brain deliveratly forgets so as not to add up the cost :lol:

Edited by The Chubby Ninja

Atleast its finally coming together mate! It must have been stressful. Not to worry you are going to enjoy the car when is all done :D

Thanks bennet. I cant wait til its done. It just starts getting good at 4k rpm then i need to change up a gear. Im desperate for some high revving high boost. Where have you been lately? Youve been quite quiet on the forum and all these rumours of your twin charged blown engine lol. What stage is the car at now?

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh stage!!

Great thread matey.

The gold spacer actually looks really nice. Plenum needs a bit more work but I'd say that anyway :lol:

haha cheers ian. I know the plenum needs sanded back down to get rid of some of the scratch marks but I just haven't got the time. its not just that, you then have to sand it about a million times with different grades and its just so much effort to get the shine. I take my hat off to you mate