How do you photograph reflective surfaces e.g. glass?

twobears

I am trying to photograph some pictures I've made in order to put them on my website, but I can't get any good shots because of reflections on the glass of the picture frames. Some have come out better than others but even the very best ones have a reflection of me in the glass. It's driving me mad but I simply can't figure out how to do it properly :wacko: I know there are some good photographers on here so can anyone advise me if there are any techniques to improve the quality of my images please?

That won't work I'm afraid as I photographed them out of the frame as soon as I'd made them i.e. before they were framed :) I need photos of them in the frames as well or customers won't know what they look like framed!

Edited by twobears

You need to make something like this . . . .

LightBox1.jpg

And have enough diffused light so you dont need a flash. You cant get reflections if there is nothing to reflect ;) Although in your case just minimizing the reflections, have a white wall behind the camera . . etc

Right, I think I've got it sorted so thanks to everyone for the advice :thumbs: I'm going to get a polarising filter for my DSLR and I have unearthed a sort of small white pop-up tent in one of my many sheds that I think is actually designed to diffuse light when photographing objects close-up :teeth:

Hugh, I have got non-reflective glass in one of the frames but not sure if I like it as it is a bit dull and matte looking. Interesting article though and, being a geek (allegedly) I had to read all of it :blush:

Try scanning them if you can fit them on a scanner...I've had success with that method for some things that are awkward to photograph due to reflective/shiny surfaces (jewellery and keyrings to name a couple!). Good look :)

S.

Been all you need to do is make sure the frame even with glass is point slightly down or up from he camera and the flash won't get reflected back into the camera, also called specular reflection, I was a Navy Photographer & still am a Pro photographer and I did is sort of stuff all the time. no need for a light box or a polarising filter, just make sure that subject isn't square on so it gets reflected back. Hope this helps

Thanks so much everyone for all the tips :teeth: Will try putting pictures on an angle to photograph them this morning as that sounds really sensible. I'd just been hanging them on the wall and standing square on to them.

Pics are too big to fit in scanner Squee but going to try that for the small glass photo prints that I do as I am intrigued as to the result :D

Photman, just wanted to say a big 'Thank you' for your advice :teeth: I have re-photographed all the pictures, propping them up on an angle rather than trying to stand straight on to them and am pleased to say that it has worked :thumbs: Got some good pics now which I can use on my website so thanks again!

May seem like a stupid suggestion for future, but what about using a scanner? I scanned my ipad screen once (don't ask!) and it worked!

At least you didn't photo copy your bottom - or maybe you did :scare::lol:

These pictures are a lot bigger than my scanner bed but am definitely going to try scanning smaller pics if I need to :)

I'm not a pro but some sort of polarised filter might help. You'll still get some glare but it might help.

http://www.cambridge...ing-filters.htm

Polarised lens, very good accessory. Makes blue skies bluer and reduces reflections too. You will find this an invaluable purchase with many uses.

I've ordered it, not arrived yet, but looking forward to expanding my repertoire with the camera a bit :teeth: All I seem to take these days is close up product shots but I do fancy doing a few more landscapey type projects if Mr Two Bears fancies a trip out somewhere nice this weekend B)

• Like 1