Monaro Vxr

Sized

Anyone got any thoughts/experience of the Vauxhall Monaro Vxr as an ownership proposition and Vs. 350z? Followed one for a bit tonight and it sounded absolutely epic......thought I liked the sound of my zed but this thing was on another level! Owning a V8 is is an itch I want to scratch too...........

Can't really trade the zed in just yet but probably could in the not too distant future and the VXRs look amazing value to me.......

Thanks all!

Fantastic cars, this was one i was looking at too before the zed.

Go to monkfish performance website, there's a whole load of tuning stuff for them, probably could spend upwards of 30k!

Walkinshaw even do superchargers with warranty too!

And the bi-modal exhaust is exquisite.

Cheers for the thoughts guys. I think a visit to the Monkfish website is in order today :)

The interior looks pretty decent from pics and they seem to come with a decent amount of toys - if it's slightly low rent Vs the usual German suspects and a bit vectra-esq, that doesn't bother me too much - probs still better plastics than the MY03 zed trim! :)

@Jetset yeah I think Lexx had a VXR8 but probs worth me getting his take - I'd be looking at a late model Monaro and I don't think the VXR8 is that different in terms of performance/handling/specs etc :)

The fuel consumption is a little on the heavy side for my liking though :surrender:

That will be the old school US, 16 Valve, V8 engdidn'tn't buy oneor you.

I remember looking at a VXR8. It had 5 miles on the clock when I took it out for a test drive. After about 20 miles the average fuel consumption had risen from 5 to 9 miles per gallon. I know it was a new car and the engine still had to bed in but 9 mpg. Needless to say I didn't buy it.......................

Barge-tastic.

They're a wafter rather than a sports car, but by god that engine is stunning and the car has bags full of character. I'd have one in a heartbeat, and I don't particularly like barges!

Yeah I had a VXR8.

Spent a lot of time around Monaros too. If you had the budget, I'd go for a VXR8. Better refinement inside and much more of a sleeper car.

As for the comment earlier about quality being bad because they're a Vauxhall......neither the Monaro or VXR8 are actually Vauxhall. I can't be chewed going over all that again though. :lol:

VXR8 with custom exhaust (with cut outs), monkfish road response pack (pedders poly bushes and coilovers), and a basic EFI live map will give you an epic car.

If you don't plan on massively modifying the engine then save a little money and get an LS2 rather than LS3.

As for Monaro. Get the LS2 rather than LS1. For me the VXR edition doesn't justify the extra cash. You could buy a standard CV8 and pay Monkfish or LSV8 to modify to your liking.

pm me with any questions :thumbs:

Oh, and fuel economy isn't as bad as rumoured.

I averaged 14mpg round town with a heavy foot. And 30mpg on a motorway cruise.

I would have a VXR8 again in a heartbeat. Just don't have the funds.

Edited by Lexx

I was given the keys to a Monaro whilst i was in Australia a few years ago and told to "have some fun". I was out in the blue mountains on the east coast so plenty of bendy roads.

I have to say I was totally underwelmed by it and sure the engine sounded nice & was very torquey, but compared to my zed it was pretty boring to drive, felt slow, heavy and didnt handle great.. Very low rev limit if i remember rightly, and you kept hitting it quickly so was forever changing gear.

I think I did a review on it on here at the time.

I do quite like the looks of the VXR8 though and having seen a few they do sound good. Whether or not they would be any more exciting than the Monaro i dunno, as ive not driven one.

Edited by rabbitstew

I actually prefer the looks of the Monaro to the VXR8, more sleek and less in-your-face.

Interior is better on the VXR8, though.

Yea if I had the choice it would be a Monaro. My neighbor had a Black Monaro that he was selling a few months ago. Had a plate PR0 6LTR. It looked nice but the interior was boring and some of the exterior parts like rear clusters etc looked cheap.

Apart from the V8 the rest of the car isn't that exciting.