WARNING..WARNING..WARNING.

WhackyWill

My mate was worried last year as he has a Beemer, BMW responded with software update which prevented the thefts

What's the next bit of sensational news?

***STOP PRESS***STOP PRESS***STOP PRESS***

Chinese man spotted that can pronounce........."R"

Its funny how they cant isnt it lol they usually replace R with a W and make a choking noise! :lol:

Reminds me of this

I shouldn't laugh, but the American woman was so stupid she bloody read it out.

Holy Crap is this real on live broadcast? wow! Was it an April Fools? classic Sum Ting Wong!

My mate was worried last year as he has a Beemer, BMW responded with software update which prevented the thefts

Its funny how they cant isnt it lol they usually replace R with a W and make a choking noise! :lol:

True, but that's like only for those proper mainlanders or HK-ers that never left their home countries.

No probs with "R" pronounciation here :D

True, but that's like only for those proper mainlanders or HK-ers that never left their home countries.

No probs with "R" pronounciation here :D

Yeh im BBC so my R are perfect lol!

Reminds me of this

I shouldn't laugh, but the American woman was so stupid she bloody read it out.

holy sh!t !! how the hell did she not click? you shouldn't laugh but its hard not to at something like that. what an idiot :bangin:

Yeah, the airline is currently sueing the broadcasting station for racism......but to be fair you still crashed a plane, so don't get too high and mighty....

Lol Unless the pilots were actually chinese i doubt they will have a case, and even if it were it should be the pilots families sueing! Did they ever find out the cause for the crash?

Yeah, the airline is currently sueing the broadcasting station for racism......but to be fair you still crashed a plane, so don't get too high and mighty....

Lol Unless the pilots were actually chinese i doubt they will have a case, and even if it were it should be the pilots families sueing! Did they ever find out the cause for the crash?

Yep the co pilot dropped his noodles.

Yep the co pilot dropped his noodles.

LOL :lol:

The scam is simple. Crims buy car-key programming devices (the internet is full of them) and pick their victim.

As the innocent motorist tries to lock the car, the signal is blocked by an RF jammer. The punter walks away, unknowingly leaving the car open, the crim then plugs an information reader into the onboard diagnostic socket and reprograms a blank key and drives it away.

I repair keys for a hobby and although this method was once used to detect the alarm and locking signal and allow a cloned signal to be sent to disable the alarm, it’s not going to help anyone start a car with a modern immobiliser system and is defunct for any modern car. As a rough rule only decent cars designed about 20 years ago will have alarm systems that are not encrypted and can have the alarm systems compromised with a scanning system. Some cheaper models still do use poor security system but they tend to be the models no-one wants to steal :lol:

As far as stealing the car is concerned, nowadays just about any decent car uses a passive chip in the key which powers up only when in very close proximity to an aerial in the car - usually round the steering column or the slot you push the key into. Some use similar but still short range systems that check if the key is in your pocket. All activate only when the ignition is active which is not going to be when you have stopped the engine. I know people on this forum have tried moving the immobiliser chip for the Z into flip-style keys and had some problems as the chip is too far from the power-up induction aerial, they are that sensitive and short-range. Even if the scanner could pick up the signal which is extremely doubtful, the signal is heavily encrypted and uses a rolling code system (which incidentally so do modern remote alarm/locking too). Systems like this can be fiendish to clone and usually require a 3-5 step process with relatively expensive equipment and the original key (easy to do if you give someone your key and car though, obviously).

In addition, for a very long time the majority cars have had locked ECUs. You simply can’t get into the ECU and program the car to accept a new key without the ECU code. That’s not something a scanner in the street is going to pick up.

So this article is simply not accurate for higher end cars like BMW, Mercedes etc where getting round the immobiliser definitely cannot be done so simply. I suspect its based on information from a time when modern immobiliser systems were not used and when it was possible to scan for alarm key signals in the street where the signals were not encrypted. That’s got to be at least 20 years ago and maybe more for the higher end manufactures.

Edited by Toon Chris

How are the cars been stolen then Toon Chris.

As there is no sign of breaking into the cars no glass around, they were driven away. :scare:

Most popular method is to steal the key, either by breaking in, or fishing through the letterbox

How are the cars been stolen then Toon Chris.

As there is no sign of breaking into the cars no glass around, they were driven away. :scare:

As mentioned before, last year BMW had a software glitch in their security systems.

The thieves gained access by exploiting this glitch which exploited remote unlocking of the car for emergency reasons and then resetting the alert and driving away with a master coded key.

BMW fixed this glitch with a software update