350z roadster drinking more fuel then it should

Y23DRH

The mpg does vary massively depending on whether its around town or on a run. On a run its around 34mpg, but around town about 21. Id say if all I do to a tank is urban driving, I would get about 260 miles out of the £80 tank, up to 360+ on a run.

I get 20.7 mpg on motorway i should be getting 35mpg ??? So something must be wrong then ???

Might be right... if you're doing double the speed limit on the motorway?!

Well, for a start the roadster is heavier than the coupe so there's one or two MPG down the drain. Next, the CD is considerably higher, it's 0.34 compared to the coupe at 0.30, at motorway speeds say 75 that's got to be at least another 2 MPG, maybe more? That obviously doesn't account for all the missing MPG but I know Caroline's roadster only gets an overall average of 21.1 (and I do around 50% of the driving in that car) compared to my coupe's 26.1.

Pete

You say you've removed the cats. I'm no expert but I thought the cats were fitted with pre and post lambda sensors who's job it is to adjust the fuel mixture to keep the emissions in limits. Could this be a possible cause?

You say you've removed the cats. I'm no expert but I thought the cats were fitted with pre and post lambda sensors who's job it is to adjust the fuel mixture to keep the emissions in limits. Could this be a possible cause?

Hi yea i have decats on the car and jez at Horsham's sorted the fuel and air mixture and every thing else out at the same time as the remap and I'm 100% happy he set the car up correctly as he definitely knows what he's doing

He also has software that removes the engine management light from coming on due to decats being fitted Aswell

So I'm still no closer to finding the problem out no lights on dash and nothing comes up when diagnostics is plugged in either :/ maybe my car just likes to drink a bit more then the rest :/

My roadster averaged around 20mpg over the 2 years I logged whenever I filled up.

This was mixed driving however the mpg went down in this weather for some reason.... Ok it was probably due to the nice weather, roof down and fabulous roads and I would expect about 250 miles per tank under those circumstances.

I think you need to book some time at Horsham and let the experts actually look at the car

Good luck.

My roadster, albiet a newer 313 model used to average about 24->26mpg on a tank full. My weekly trip was identical each day. Id do 3 miles of 30mph, then about 6 miles of 40/50mph then 30miles of 60mph->80mph, than back down to 2 miles of 30/40mph. Id repeat that twice a day, so id be doing about 450 miles a week just of that. Fuel was costing me nearly £450 a month. :scare:

If i went out for a weekend thrash when id be driving a bit more spirited, id get it down to 15->17mpg, but normally on a "drive like a nun" weekday commute it would be 24->26mpg.

Edited by rabbitstew

Just checked mine on the m25 roadworks this morning, immediately after the trip comp reset I got 54mpg! That quickly dropped to 30 ish though... And after filling up today I got 300+ miles left showing, can't remember the exact figure.

Just to clarify my figures were derived using an app whereby I logged the odometer reading, the amount of fuel, price per liter and total cost.

This gave me a very detailed view of the period I logged the data. I typically brimmed on each visit but the app took into account partial fills based on the data provided.

I did not use the cars the computer. I believe they way my figure is reached is a lot more reliable than the onboard computers figure which could suggest the varying levels of percieved economy.

Just to clarify my figures were derived using an app whereby I logged the odometer reading, the amount of fuel, price per liter and total cost.

This gave me a very detailed view of the period I logged the data. I typically brimmed on each visit but the app took into account partial fills based on the data provided.

I did not use the cars the computer. I believe they way my figure is reached is a lot more reliable than the onboard computers figure which could suggest the varying levels of percieved economy.

I use fuelly to work out mine and prior to that always worked it out manually rather than trust the onboard computer.

Yeah I mentioned it as I get the impression most are using the onboard compuguessestimator :)

I use "road trip" on IOS. I also have a heavy right foot even when trying to save fuel so it's all about measuring correctly and then taking into account differing driving styles as well as engines.

The zeds sorted :)

Had my mate bring his uber exoensive diagnostic computer around pluged the car in

And this is what come up

5th spark plugs was not sparking very well at all turned out to be a very minor miss-fire that wasn't noticeable at all for some reason:/

Any way i have now

fitted a new set of spark-plugs best quality ones i could find

drained all oil and filled with mobil one and fitted new oil filter

fitted a new fuel filter at same time and rechecked the new coil plugs to make sure they were all on correctly and tight

Started the car and all was good noticed a difference straight away

Filled the car up tonight £105 of shell v power nitro and drive it down the motor way at 70mph and i have for the first time since i owned it got 30 mpg on motor way and 25.6 on town roads :)

And the fuel distance says just under 380 miles

Also car feels so much more responsive

Would like to thank every one for there help and advice

You guys and girls are what make this forum so great :)

Interesting thread.

Mine used to do 35 to the Gallon on a run.

It now does a constant 23.45 as I to have the app.

Admitedly it has a S/C fitted but even so thats one heck of a drop.

One thing that has happened of late is it's starting to race in traffic which is really annoying as it's 1500 - 2000 RPM.

It does go back down to 10.85 which is what it's set at but takes a good 10 secs.

I am wondering if the dump valve has some @*!# in it or one of the pipe is damaged?

It's situated down the right side beow the front headlight, and in an ideal word needs relocating to a more suitable

place?

Any constructive ideas from people running S/C would be appreciated as I am away on Tuesday and will be covering about 1000 miles?

Cheers.