Square front plates ?

modd1uk

I have a private reg that hasn't been fitted yet, its a 6 digit plate so can go on two lines and look good. My question is has anybody fitted a square plate to the front of their 350z, if so do you have pictures ? Google was a little scarce. Plan on having both bumpers sprayed at some point in the future anyway but for now i am thinking about fitting a square legal sized front plate.

Is your car an import?

If so it's fine. If not, a square front plate will be illegal regardless of it's size.

Search for JDM 350z on google for pics of square plates.

As far as i'm aware there isn't anything in the law that states whether you can/can't have a square plate. Just that the plate has to have legal sized lettering (in the correct font), with legal spaced letters, with legal white/yellow space around it. Plenty of cars use square plates, landrovers are one example.

Same thing with metal plates, they are legal as long as they have the stamp as the law doesn't say what material the plate has to be made out of just that it has to be legal size.

Taxi cabs are another example of square plates ;) They use them so they can mount their taxi license next to it etc.

Edited by modd1uk

Here are the rules and regs, as I read them as long as the fonts and sizes are right then you can have plates with two lines on them, I'd forgotten that at one time number plates could have 3 lines but this is no longer allowed for vehicles made after 1974.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

Pete

Here are the rules and regs, as I read them as long as the fonts and sizes are right then you can have plates with two lines on them, I'd forgotten that at one time number plates could have 3 lines but this is no longer allowed for vehicles made after 1974.

http://www.direct.go...t/dg_067666.pdf

Pete

Just what i was looking for, cheers pete :).

I believe that my UK model has had the square plate on for 9 years.

Still illegal ;)

Is your car an import?

If so it's fine. If not, a square front plate will be illegal regardless of it's size.

As far as i'm aware there isn't anything in the law that states whether you can/can't have a square plate. Just that the plate has to have legal sized lettering (in the correct font), with legal spaced letters, with legal white/yellow space around it. Plenty of cars use square plates, landrovers are one example.

Same thing with metal plates, they are legal as long as they have the stamp as the law doesn't say what material the plate has to be made out of just that it has to be legal size.

Taxi cabs are another example of square plates ;) They use them so they can mount their taxi license next to it etc.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

Pete

Is that this one nipped in the bud then? Thought it was a bit strange that JDMs are allowed but UK cars cannot. :wacko:

I believe that my UK model has had the square plate on for 9 years.

Still illegal ;)

On what grounds as alot of Seat dealers fitted square plates on Leon and ibiza fr and cupra models bumpers could take both shapes and there not imports ?

also Late model Evos where supplied in UKDM form with square plates?

Edited by StevoD

Is your car an import?

How do the Police know when you drive by whether your car is an import or not!!!

Lexx is right, it is technically illegal. However the only way you're likely to get pulled by the police for it is if you still have the rectangular mount fitted.

A particularly mardy MOT tester could fail it, if you happen to catch him on the wrong day, but that's also unlikely.

Its not technically illegal at all. There is nothing in the law that states your number plates HAVE to be rectangle unless its an import. All the law states is that the characters have to be a certain height, a certain width with certain spacing in between the characters and a certain size gap around the characters on the correct material (or thereabouts) and have the BS stamps. I don't mean to sound rude but please do your research before coming out with nonsense.

I will point out again...land rovers, some 4x4's, taxi cabs...these all use square plates, taxi's use them so they can mount another square plate next to it containing their license information.

Edited by modd1uk

/end thread here.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/contents/made#note13

http://www.legislati...20010561_en.pdf

The above PDF is worth a read to any doubters. Page 14,15, 16 etc. Diagram 2b refers to my private plate (P** AFR),

" A group consisting of a single letter and not more than 3 numbers Diagrams 2a, 2b and 2c.

followed by a group of 3 letters (for example A123 ABC). "

Edited by modd1uk

/end thread here.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/contents/made#note13

http://www.legislati...20010561_en.pdf

The above PDF is worth a read to any doubters. Page 14,15, 16 etc. Diagram 2b refers to my private plate (P** AFR),

" A group consisting of a single letter and not more than 3 numbers Diagrams 2a, 2b and 2c.

followed by a group of 3 letters (for example A123 ABC). "

Good find, but that is some seriously dry reading! I love the 3 level "square" plates. I want 3c.

I think there is some law regarding the 3 level square plates, can't remember what it was though and you can get to feck if you think i'm reading all that again lol. You have met me..i'm not a stuck up arsehole just like making people aware of something if they are wrong, no harm in learning something new everyday right ?

• Like 1