Roadster or Coupe

maxi-glasgow

I am about to buy a 350 hopefully before next weekend and undecided whether to go for a coupe or roadster as I have never owned a convertible before.

I am buying around the £7k range so seen some 05 and 55 cars in both coupe and roadsters in that price range and they tend to be around the 50k-60k in miles so that's fine I can live with that, as I won't put that many miles on it anyway.

So what I wanted to ask is what peoples opinions are of the roadster, is it a lot noisier? Do you lose any of the already small boot space with it being a convertible? Any other drawbacks to having a convertible than a coupe? Are the hoods usually in good condition or is there anything I should look out for that's a common fault?

I would go for the coupe just not a big fan of convertibles anyway, think they should come with a set of hair straighteners and styling mousse lol. Joking aside its personal preference don't think we get the weather to support convertibles in this country. I am sure anyone with the roadster will disagree but the coupe looks better.

Would I still be able to fit my golf clubs in the boot of a roadster. I know they just fit into a coupe.

I do agree that Coupe's look better vs roadster with roof up, but when you put the roof down the Roadster just shades it in looks. But it looks a bit strange with roof up.

Edited by maxi-glasgow

Or enjoy those glorious sunny days or chilly winter ones with the roof down and the wind blowing in your hair... Oh wait, yes you can! :p

Downsides to the ragtop are limited to the extra weight really. Other than that they're as good a GT as the coupe, but only personal preference will decide whether you can live with the slightly rediced bootspace (don't forget you have the Tardis when the roof is up), and risk of a dodgy roof mechanism. You can get golf clubs into a ragtop, yes.

Put it this way, I'd have another ragtop in an instant, but if I was buying again I'd buy the coupe because of the superior driving dynamics.

If you have the opportunity have a drive in both, we all have opinions but its you that's buying it. Either way I am sure you will enjoy the zed. I have had mine around 3 months and absolutely love it. However I have started to show symptoms of zeditus

• Like 1

Roadster all the way, yes you can get golf clubs in, theres a diagram on the inside of the boot lid on mine showing you how. When the roof is down you can hear the exhaust more, thats the biggest selling point. :)

I chose the roadster purely because never had one and the z on the hole is a limited mode of transport being a two seater....so why not.

Try both but youd be hard pushed to tell the difference.

Yep the coupe is a little quiter.

I had the same choice to make when I bought my 350z, and the roadster at the time was an extra couple of grand over the same year coupe. They were also a lot rarer. I went for the newer 313 model and there was only something like 250 of them in the UK and only ever 1 or 2 appearing for sale on Autotrader.

So, after some consideration, I went for the roadster. It does weigh a fraction more than the coupe, but around a track the reviews / road tests I read said that handling is identical as the extra weight is low & strengthens the chasis over the coupe. 0-60 performance was only something like 0.4 seconds slower also, so hardly anything.

I found the roadster to be great fun and I had the roof down nearly day unless it was raining. I remember driving home from work when it was frosty with the roof down many nights. It was great fun. The noise with the roof up was fine, certainly nothing to worry about, until I fitted a K1 exhaust then it was incrediblely loud. over 100db inside the cabin from the exhaust alone. :lol:

The roadster does have a smaller boot, but you have the massive compartment where the roof folds down into. You can use that for storage too and its amazing how much you can fit in there. Golf clubs do fit in the boot fine, as someone else said theres a sticker on the inside of the boot lid with a diagram showing you how.

So, at the end of the day, its personal choice. Some dont like the looks of the roadster, but personally with the roof down I thought it looked pretty good. Sure, some of my mates started up with the "does it come with hair dryer & scissors" jokes, but when they drove things like Vauxhall Vectra Diesels it was more a case of jealousy than anything.

Another thing to consider is the insurance. I had 20 years ncb and was still stung for nearly a grand for insurance on my 313 roadster. Compared to quotes I was getting of around £500 for a M3 or £600 for a Boxster S. So, you may find the roadster will cost you more to insure than a coupe.

Problem wise, the hood can have problems. Nissan recommend it not be used when its cold weather as it puts a strain on the motors. One of the motors can get weak which stops the hood folding fully. The other 2 things are there are big elastic bands above your head which add tension on the roof when it folds back. These can also get weak and stop the roof working correctly. Finally I noticed that the metal support beam above your head has a piece of metal which folds around it and supports the roof. With use, this metal can peel back. So, they are things to look out for.

I treated my hood every 6 months with special hood sealant & conditioner and never once had any problems with leaks or tears.

I'm driving to Italy via Switzerland in a couple of months in my coupe, wish I had a roadster... for the bits south of Paris.

Loved having a convertible in the States last year, perfect conditions for it in California. Too hot for it in parts of Nevada, had to roof up to get some AC goodness in Death Valley, not a UK problem! I personally wouldn't bother up North, but if I lived 1000 miles south of Blackpool I'd be angle grinding my roof off as we speak.

The roadster every time!!

The 350z was originall designed as a roadster I believe, especially for the USA California market, hence thr reference to the golf clubs stowage instructions on the boot lid.

I've had mine nearly a year now and every time I drive it I have the roof down. Great exhaust note and the roadsters are quite rare.

Check the hood is in good condition as it is very expensive to replace.

Nissan recommend that the hood shouldn't be retracted when the temperature is below 5 deg C, as it can stick. Otherwise no problems.

Whether you get the roadster or the coupe, you'll enjoy every minute driving it!

Good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide.

I had a 54 plate coupe for 2 years before I done a move to a Jaguar XKR and then a year later to the 370Z.

So I know how much I loved the coupe and wonder if it's time to take my first step into a convertible or does it make you look too much like a douche :lol:

The 350z was originall designed as a roadster I believe, especially for the USA California market, hence thr reference to the golf clubs stowage instructions on the boot lid.

I don't think that's correct, the roadster was released after the coupe for a start. The sticker on the boot lid is common for any Jap car with a small boot, it's pretty much a japanese car requirement that a set of golf clubs must fit in the boot... considering the Japanese I'm suprised there isn't a requirement to fit a bound and gagged school girl in the boot and a place to hold a bottle of Saki. :scare:

• Like 1

Roadster? Why would you want something that weighs more and requires significant upgrading on the bracing and suspension to let it handle the way a coupe does? Or are you just wanting to pose in yer old age? :p

• Like 1

I had a 54 plate coupe for 2 years before I done a move to a Jaguar XKR and then a year later to the 370Z.

So I know how much I loved the coupe and wonder if it's time to take my first step into a convertible or does it make you look too much like a douche :lol:

On you go and waft around ...

If you are looking for a roadster, I always check whats for sale around glasgow neck of the woods. There is a red roadster for 8.5K that has been for sale when I bought my ZED away back in feb. So they aint having much luck punting it so maybe worth a go trying to get it down to the 7K your looking to pay. Also I prefer the coupe, don't like the look of it with the roof up, and it is scotland after all,,,, when will it be down?

Roadster? Why would you want something that weighs more and requires significant upgrading on the bracing and suspension to let it handle the way a coupe does? Or are you just wanting to pose in yer old age? :p

Alex's roadster could go not too bad ;)

Quick question, every roadster I look at never have steering wheel control on the left hand side, can't remember now, is that the bluetooth handfree controls? Can you not get BT on a roadster?

If you are looking for a roadster, I always check whats for sale around glasgow neck of the woods. There is a red roadster for 8.5K that has been for sale when I bought my ZED away back in feb. So they aint having much luck punting it so maybe worth a go trying to get it down to the 7K your looking to pay. Also I prefer the coupe, don't like the look of it with the roof up, and it is scotland after all,,,, when will it be down?

Seen that red one but it's not a GT. Won't entertain not buying a GT model. Why did they possibly make a convertible with cloth seats, not very easy to clean up a bird poo is it :lol:

Quick question, every roadster I look at never have steering wheel control on the left hand side, can't remember now, is that the bluetooth handfree controls? Can you not get BT on a roadster?

Aye bu

Aye he had GT braces and fancy pants suspension etc IIRC its the cruise that is missing from the earlier roadsters