tracktoy/daily runner

garetgax

well having been made redundant and then done the perfect thing of getting a better job and starting it prior to my gardening leave finishing I will now be in need of a new motor as the new job (8 miles from my house) doesnt come with the company oil burner.......which means I can have whatever I like (within reason ££££) It does mean I get to do some trackdays again and have a few options:-

buy michelle a new car and track prep the zed (craigs old car for any that dont know us etc) I reckon this is an expensive option..

daily driver and track toy potentials:-

3.2v6 quattro tt and prep it and use it as my daily driver as well

buy a stage 2 vx220 turbo (wont need much preping)

02-04 lotus elise

decent type r impreza similar spec to my last 400/400 i.e 2.5,6speed etc (this will be a pain day to day though)

forged evo6 maybe stretch to a 7 possibly a fq again reckon this is a costly option day to day

r33 skyline

rx8 ( cheap to buy not sure about preping one for trackwork though etc)

any other ideas guys.

also maybe e30 plus a daily driver or possibly even stretch to a e46 as both daily and tracktoy.

Forget TT for track, dull and pointless. Tracking the Zed would be better IMHO.

If you're not doing a massive commute, Elise or VXT is a no-brainer. Perfect for track out of the box, plenty of tuning option later down the line.

lol forgot about the z4 half the cost of a vx or elise which would leave some wiggle room for bigger brakes coilovers. dont know if z4s have a easy sc option etc. stage 2 vx turbo generates 240 bhp but as rich says are a bit tinny or I could buy a my99 type r for 7k bang a forged 2.5 in it for 3k (engine tuner) 20g td05 and have 450/450 out of the box motor for 10-12k

tough decisions.

looked at 996's but there a bit too much money atm we are thinking that will be the next main car in 3 or 4 years when a few more funds have been freed up looked at cayman s as an option as well but again a bit too much right now etc

didnt think boxsters even the s were very quick and as they are still a porker will cost more to run/fix/mod etc i discounted the z4 for the same reason. VX is looking more likely as a stage 2 (240 bhp) turbo version has some power as well as the handling aspects and there easy to mod. Ive been told im not allowed to sc the zed so that out as its way to heavy with its current power. Evo is out as im a bit long in the tooth for evos. So I think the next stage is to go look and drive a few of the candidates as I might get in a vx/elise and hate it lol. My heart would go with the type r and build it up but ive been there and know what it ended up costing me lol

M3 is still a possibility though

You're worried about parts costs but are considering an M3?

986 2.7 stripped out for £5K, gives you £5K for go faster bits/repairs.

+1. Unless you have researched Porsche parts in comparison to other cars you will be shocked. Porsche parts are cheaper tha parts for the 350 and way cheaper than m3 parts. Dealers can be reasonable priced for small things and for everything else there are 100's of people who deal with cheap parts and ecps stock everything for them.

I'd go for a 6k 3.2 s over the 2.7. Personally. The chassis is that good you will think it still can cope with more power.

cheers guys we are going to look at a 3.2 boxter this weekend so it may be a good option. lol Ian never said I intended to go fast.......especially with michelle as a passenger.........lol

I never mentioned fast, hope your cornering has improved :stir: