Vanity Light LED Upgrade

BulletMagnet

Decided to do something about this

55F8A6EA-8D88-4FC8-B302-B54965E1E9DB-23195-000002C80321D890_zps26a38f01.jpg

So I went and ordered these off eBay

http://bit.ly/11JXhOe

First I took the sun visor off it's mounting point and disconnected the power cable.

Then carefully remove the light diffuser, pay close attention to the two tabs near the bulb as they can snap with too much force, also be careful with the mirror glass as it is not very thick.

BFBBBE87-F066-48C0-9F0E-3E82743AFBBB-23195-000002C8244C2135_zps90f310e2.jpg

Then you should see this

07F2DC20-BC92-4B8E-A926-1C317F9FD401-23195-000002C82B3A4CE9_zpsd47ba45e.jpg

Replace candescent bulb with LED item

77A7BEB9-1C43-4031-B0C3-174C0D030E90-23195-000002C831C242E8_zps143a441e.jpg

Plug the wire in to test you put the LED bulb in the correct way

16FB0912-A44B-4669-981F-47970DC86723-23195-000002C83F7DC8DC_zpsdf774a01.jpg

When refitting the light diffuser take care again with the two tabs.

I found it easier to work it in from one side to the other.

And all back together

5298DF77-1BC6-4DDE-BD82-3208CA23B265-23195-000002C844AF7D70_zpsb10fe530.jpg

Hope this helps anybody who is looking to do this

• Like 3

UPDATE

Have since found out that the JDM models have a bulb soldered in rather than a bulb fitting.

Reason I know was cos I broke drivers mirror, saw a visor on eBay, bought it, received today, opened it up, went "MEH!" upon seeing soldered bulb, went to extract mirror glass, went to put mirror glass into my visor, cracked that, went "MEH!" again, went to Nissan to ask if they sold the mirror glass after looking in local motor factors, was told I would have to buy whole sun visor, asked how much, they didn't want to say, asked them again how much, they said £200 + VAT, went "MEH!!!" inside my head, thanked them and walked out, went to a local glass & mirror maker to see if they had off cuts, they did, cut me a piece for £3, was happy and went home, fitted new mirror glass and pointed LEDs upward by 45 degrees, less glare now much better, reassembled everything and job done :)

Edited by BulletMagnet

• 7 months later...

Good info, did this today, exactly the same on the 370z

I used a very small screwdriver between the hinge and glass frame (small gap on the side) to lever the light cover off, this way you are nowhere near that thin mirror glass

Edited by GIXXERUK

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
UPDATE

Have since found out that the JDM models have a bulb soldered in rather than a bulb fitting.

Reason I know was cos I broke drivers mirror, saw a visor on eBay, bought it, received today, opened it up, went "MEH!" upon seeing soldered bulb, went to extract mirror glass, went to put mirror glass into my visor, cracked that, went "MEH!" again, went to Nissan to ask if they sold the mirror glass after looking in local motor factors, was told I would have to buy whole sun visor, asked how much, they didn't want to say, asked them again how much, they said £200 + VAT, went "MEH!!!" inside my head, thanked them and walked out, went to a local glass & mirror maker to see if they had off cuts, they did, cut me a piece for £3, was happy and went home, fitted new mirror glass and pointed LEDs upward by 45 degrees, less glare now much better, reassembled everything and job done :)

Is the specific to JDM? Mine is defo not a JDM (HPI, Chassis, & VIN confirmed) yet today I went to perform this Mod and found I too have soldered in bulb??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Just Bought this kit from Ebay for all the interior + number plate lights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400844199521

Any idea if these will fit the 370z ?

Thanks in advance

Honestly not sure, interior lights are pretty standard across all vehicles as far as I know / see, so I don't see why not. Maybe post link in the 370z forum and ask someone?

Just Bought this kit from Ebay for all the interior + number plate lights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400844199521

Any idea if these will fit the 370z ?

Thanks in advance

Honestly not sure, interior lights are pretty standard across all vehicles as far as I know / see, so I don't see why not. Maybe post link in the 370z forum and ask someone?

ok thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Reason I know was cos I broke drivers mirror, saw a visor on eBay, bought it, received today, opened it up, went "MEH!" upon seeing soldered bulb, went to extract mirror glass, went to put mirror glass into my visor, cracked that, went "MEH!" again, went to Nissan to ask if they sold the mirror glass after looking in local motor factors, was told I would have to buy whole sun visor, asked how much, they didn't want to say, asked them again how much, they said £200 + VAT, went "MEH!!!" inside my head, thanked them and walked out, :scare::)

MEH!!! LMAO.. Gotta love Nissan OEM prices..

Nice guide, Thanks.

Hope your not superstitious.

Reason I know was cos I broke drivers mirror, saw a visor on eBay, bought it, received today, opened it up, went "MEH!" upon seeing soldered bulb, went to extract mirror glass, went to put mirror glass into my visor, cracked that, went "MEH!" again, went to Nissan to ask if they sold the mirror glass after looking in local motor factors, was told I would have to buy whole sun visor, asked how much, they didn't want to say, asked them again how much, they said £200 + VAT, went "MEH!!!" inside my head, thanked them and walked out, :scare::)

MEH!!! LMAO.. Gotta love Nissan OEM prices..

Nice guide, Thanks.

Hope your not superstitious.

Well, it was 2013 when it happened, have since moved within an hours drive from the Nürburgring, so I think I'm good, thanks tho :lol:

Edited by BulletMagnet