Write off?

Luke0549

The one positive it that it happened here and not on the Ring. That would've been much worse on the wallet.

As long as you're okay, that's the main thing, it's a cliche but it's still very true. Might be worth buying it back and repairing it yourself if the money works out right.

Sorry to hear about this and hope you get it fixed. You say there was another car involved that cut you up. It's seeing stuff like this that makes me think getting some onboard cameras fitted to the works vans would be a good idea.

One problem with a DIY approach to dealing with repairs is the small print on most insurance policies: providers generally say that customers should report any and all accidents, whether they want to make a claim or not.

If you fail to come clean about an accident and the insurer finds out, it could cancel your policy or refuse to pay out on a subsequent claim.

But even if you aren’t claiming, your premiums may still increase in future because you have been involved in an accident – albeit one that didn’t leave the insurer out of pocket. Strictly speaking, you should declare all events, whether you claim or not, to your insurer.

thats not saying that i havent done the very same thing in the past but i will say it was for a much more minor incident

One problem with a DIY approach to dealing with repairs is the small print on most insurance policies: providers generally say that customers should report any and all accidents, whether they want to make a claim or not.

If you fail to come clean about an accident and the insurer finds out, it could cancel your policy or refuse to pay out on a subsequent claim.

But even if you aren’t claiming, your premiums may still increase in future because you have been involved in an accident – albeit one that didn’t leave the insurer out of pocket. Strictly speaking, you should declare all events, whether you claim or not, to your insurer.

thats not saying that i havent done the very same thing in the past but i will say it was for a much more minor incident

I did this too, I just had some wheel arch damage on a old shed of a car so I just kicked it out, but the other party reported the accident as he has more damage. Took them a few weeks but I got a call saying "we've been informed you have been involved in an accident and you haven't reported it" I explained I had no substantial damage and I repaired it myself but they told me off for failing to report :( To be fair, it was my first ever accident and I didn't know.

Edited by cs2000

That's what you pay your insurance for, surely the hit cannot be worth the thousands of pounds you're talking about to repair the car yourself?

No at 20 years old you paying insurance in case you hit someone and so you can tax the car and not get stopped by police

at his/my age you put a claim in you see your premiums double for a good few years and at what i can guess is the higher side of £1500 thats alot

That's what you pay your insurance for, surely the hit cannot be worth the thousands of pounds you're talking about to repair the car yourself?

No at 20 years old you paying insurance in case you hit someone and so you can tax the car and not get stopped by police

at his/my age you put a claim in you see your premiums double for a good few years and at what i can guess is the higher side of £1500 thats alot

Then drive a cheaper car or suck it up :shrug:

• Like 1

Then drive a cheaper car or suck it up :shrug:

I can suck it up but if my premium got put up to £4k, then yea i would get a cheaper car

But im not going see my zed to buy a fiesta 1.0 on the idea of if i did bin it and get claim against me it would double it id rather drive the Zed around for now and do me best not to crash

it will be effectivley cheaper to not go through insurance.

a 3-4k payout, then double insurance, so may aswell be a 2-3k payout. then have to find 2-3k to buy a new zed.

or repair for approx 2k

Yes but as already said if you don't go through the insurance and do a major repair your insurance could be null and void :shrug:

Also I would like to see all that damage repaired and painted to a decent standard for £2k....

Edited by spursmaddave

Ahah, like previously stated, the car will now by converted into a track car. having a good quality paint job is seriously the least of my worries right now. and if its a track car, it may potentially never even see the road again.

Wow, the size of that rear wing on that car im surprised the car didnt fly off and into space.

On a serious side though, my vote is to just either scrap the car or sell it on yourself as it is. As others have said if you go through the insurance you`ll never be able to afford even a fiat 500 again in the future. If the car was worth more undamaged, then id re-consider, but as it is, when you weigh up the cost of what you`d get for scrapping it and selling the bits off, compared to the increase in insurance if you had them repair it then its a no brainer.

My missus ran into the back of someone in her 206 Gti a few years back and the insurance went up by so much she was unable to insure the car again and so had to sell it and buy a family diesel car - and even that cost more to insure than her 206 Gti cost the previous year.

• Like 2

If you bought the parts 2nd hand you may find it fairly cheap to repair,

£150 each for the front wings

£150 each for the rear wings

£200 each for the doors

£150 each for the bumpers

I'd say the prices are a rough estimate but your looking at about £1k in parts even 2nd hand.

front wings just bolt on and off, doors arent too bad and can be unbolted, but rear wings are welded on. and will need someone who knows what they are doing to replace them; as they will need cutting off and the new ones welded on.

front and re bumpers are easy to swap.

average paint cost to repair a panel is roughly £200 a panel, your looking at £1600 worth of paint. so if you did most yourself your still looking at a bill of about £2.5k

if it was me, i would call my insurers and write it off. take the hit and buy a cheaper car to run for now. cheaper doenst have to mean less fun. within 3 years you can be in another one.

• Like 1