Wheel alignment - Worth a check!

Jacko

Hi chaps (and chapesses) :D

Just to let you know that seeing as I put the 19" on recently, thought it was about time that I better go get my alignment checked. Its never been done in the time I've had the car, so thought it was hightime.

Anyway went to the place in Wigan (DP Tyres) that a few of the guys have used, has one of these new fangled four wheel laser alignment Supertracker systems.

Long story short, it was well out. Now fair enough, I've gone from the optional 18" Rays (8" front & 8.5" rear) to 19" (9" front and 10.5" rear) so assuming that has an effect but look at the difference....anything in red is out, green is in!

BEFORE:

Front -

Total Toe (mm): +1.9! (tolerance +0.0 to +1.2)

Toe Left (mm): +3.1!! (tolerance +0.0 to +0.6)

Toe Right (mm): -1.2! (tolerance +0.0 to +0.6)

Camber Left (degrees): -1.1 (tolerance -1.3 to +0.2)

Camber Right (degrees): -0.9 (tolerance -1.3 to +0.2)

Cross Camber (degrees): -0.1 (tolerance -0.5 to +0.5)

Rear

Total Toe (mm): +4.6!! (tolerance +0.5 to + 1.7)

Toe Left (mm): +2.5! (tolerance +0.3 to +0.8)

Toe Right (mm): +2.1! (tolerance +0.3 to +0.8)

Camber Left (degrees): -2.2 (tolerance -2.1 to -1.1)

Camber Right (degrees): -1.8 (tolerance -2.1 to -1.1)

Cross Camber (degrees): -0.4 (tolerance -0.5 to +0.5)

Thust Angle (ON) (degrees): +0.1 (tolerance -0.5 to +0.5)

:scare: I expected it to be out, but not by that much......

Anyway Darren at DP Tyres got his magic spanners out and sorted it.....

AFTER:

Front -

Total Toe (mm): +0.6 (tolerance +0.0 to +1.2)

Toe Left (mm): +0.3 (tolerance +0.0 to +0.6)

Toe Right (mm): +0.3 (tolerance +0.0 to +0.6)

Camber Left (degrees): -1.1 (tolerance -1.3 to +0.2)

Camber Right (degrees): -0.9 (tolerance -1.3 to +0.2)

Cross Camber (degrees): -0.3 (tolerance -0.5 to +0.5)

Rear

Total Toe (mm): +1.1 (tolerance +0.5 to + 1.7)

Toe Left (mm): +0.6 (tolerance +0.3 to +0.8)

Toe Right (mm): +0.5 (tolerance +0.3 to +0.8)

Camber Left (degrees): -1.6 (tolerance -2.1 to -1.1)

Camber Right (degrees): -1.8 (tolerance -2.1 to -1.1)

Cross Camber (degrees): -0.2 (tolerance -0.5 to +0.5)

Thust Angle (ON) (degrees): +0.0 (tolerance -0.5 to +0.5)

Needless to say, as soon as I set off, i could "feel" the difference in the car. I'd noticed a resistance to corner in the car in some type of situations before, but now I could really how much that had been and issue and tell the difference..... was like the car is on tip toes now, really got a lot more feel.

And she wants to drift a lot easier as well! :thumbs:B)

All I can say is that its the best £35 I've spent for a long while. Will get more than that back in save tyre wear, and the car definitely feels a lot better! :teeth:

I know that Nissan change the wheel alignment when changing the OEM tyres to the new tread pattern under warranty. Wonder if that is something to do with the inaccuracies.
Now that is interesting, when the dealer changed my rears just as i bought the car, would they have carried this out?

They should of done. I found this out last weekend as my tyres were changed under warranty and the alignment is also adjusted. Unfortunately when they did change mine to the new pattern one of them was still the old pattern and I now have the feathering and noise issue.

Going to get toyo's on the front and the dealership is contributing to the costs

Haha Jacko cost me over 1K but I'm slowly gettin him bk, or not as the case may be hey Mark ;)
What have you done?

Ha ha Liam..... just think of the money you saved in "one off" wheels! :p

Louis, he bought some wheels off me that I decided I didn't want, and then got em refurbed and tyred etc... :teeth:

(his lovely black volks he on now!)

Not happy with the tracking i've had done. They had the Supertracker system but were unable to give me before and after readings and just said that the front was out by 2 degrees and the back by 3. Then upon driving the zed the steering wheel is off centre. I think I may go to the guy in Wigan on the 26th when i come up to manchester :blush:

Not happy with the tracking i've had done. They had the Supertracker system but were unable to give me before and after readings and just said that the front was out by 2 degrees and the back by 3. Then upon driving the zed the steering wheel is off centre. I think I may go to the guy in Wigan on the 26th when i come up to manchester :blush:

It's likely that the steering wheel is off centre because they didn't have it centered when they made the adjustments. Best to get it double checked though.

if anyone is in the Bristol/Bath area, I can recommend ProTyre. Nice lads, just turned up on a Sat morning with no booking, 40 mins and 6 cups of coffee later I had nice pre/post readout, minor adjustments done (did camber for free), 35 quid, talked me through the whole process. ;)

Worthwhile if you can mate.....

He asks you about the size of wheels in rim width as well and very thorough. Shows you all on the screen, before and after..... definitely worth £35 in piece of mind! :thumbs:

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Had the Audi done a couple of months ago as I thought car was pulling a bit to one side and was only a little out but cost £20 plus lovely VAT.

Maybe it is my imagination but I thought you could tell when driving to/fro on flatish straight road and lightly turning.

Maybe because Zed steering feels heavier it is harder to tell, I'm going to have to see if I can feel for this on next trip.

• 4 weeks later...

It's likely that the steering wheel is off centre because they didn't have it centered when they made the adjustments. Best to get it double checked though.

Many of them are lazy grease monkeys who adjust front tracking at one rod end only. What they should do is centre the wheel and check and adjust both sides. What they actually do is put one wheel straight and adjust the opposite side to suit. Bingo, wonky and annoying steering wheel :angry:

i had two new tyres and the tracking done at demon tweeks, it made the world of difference B) the car before tended to wander and felt twitchy when pushed, feels much more planted now :teeth:

well worth getting done esp if you changed wheels