Type R owner curious to buy 350Z

Hey everyone i'm new to these forums, I just signed up out of interest and curiosity and to find out more about these cars and maybe pick up some new friends on the way.

I currently own and drive a Fn2 Type R (dont kill me) lol. I have to admit I do love my car and i'm not changing it yet although i'm thinking my next car could be a 350Z when the time comes. I've never driven one but they attract me looks wise and I gather nice performance figures and I calculate very affordable to me after selling my car. The only thing that ever worries me is how is the reliability compared to my honda and how is fuel consumption? I do expect some bias as this is a 350 forums but be cool to hear it from people that actually drive them. Also is it worrying that i feel the Type R consumes quite a lot of fuel as it is? I know the V6 is only going to be worse but how much worse?

do love the 350Z

Just sold my 59plate fn2. Would never go back now, the 350z is a different animal. Pm me if you want to ask more questions

woooooooooooooow hey modd1uk!!! it's me from civinfo remember!? small world lol, we had a little debate over mugen parts then made up over tea and biscuits a few months ago haha :p

awesome will get in touch bud

Just sold my 59plate fn2. Would never go back now, the 350z is a different animal. Pm me if you want to ask more questions

woooooooooooooow hey modd1uk!!! it's me from civinfo remember!? small world lol, we had a little debate over mugen parts then made up over tea and biscuits a few months ago haha :p

awesome will get in touch bud

Mugen/fugen ? I've slept since then and don't hold grudges lol. Join the dark side man you won't regret it. I'l drop you a message in the morning, too late to concentrate now.

I came form an ep3 type r, its a good move. a totally different kind of driving experiance though. fuel wise i don't think i'm much worse off and reliability wise the 350z is just as good as the type r's, plus i found insurance to be cheaper!

I get 24-28 in my religiously but use mostly a-roads and motorways.

I think saying you can easily get 32mpg on longer whilst its not untrue from my experience you have to really try to get it into the 30's and any stab of the throttle soon gets you back in to the 20's.

I've had 2 ep3's and to be honest there wont be much in it, the Type R will be better overall but it will be fairly minimal when you work out the extra fuel cost.

They aren't too hideous on fuel but they have a big tank so its pretty depressing filling up near £100 each week.

Edited by S1 HNK

I came form an ep3 type r, its a good move. a totally different kind of driving experiance though. fuel wise i don't think i'm much worse off and reliability wise the 350z is just as good as the type r's, plus i found insurance to be cheaper!

hows the difference in handling and flat out power/speed feel in comparison? I think theres a 0.7s difference in 0-60 compared to the type R as far as book figures are concerned? Your right about the insurance, i do get cheaper insurance quotes with the 350 than with the R.....i can only imagine that's because of the raw high-revving nature of the R which loves a thrashing to the redline so you get loads of chavs racing about in them and their crazy maneuvers = more frequent crashes and dogs balls insurance prices for everyone else :/

frankly i've come to realise, vtec + UK roads = bad combo

because the design of the k20 engine, power delivery is uneven, theres no torque and the power band is high up. This means revving the nuts off and staying in vtec to perform, it just encourages dangerous driving and could mean loss of control especially it being FWD. Of course none of this matters on a racing track but lets face it, we're never on a racing track lol

So this is another point that attracts me to a 350Z, at least theres torque to play with and be lazy on.....i can imagine it being a tamer road car

:welcome:

It's as tame as you want it to be.

The Zed is a good all rounder. I use daily with a mix of town and motorway 45miles a day. I avg about 25mpg. I managed 31.8 whilst going to Dorset, but 28mpg on the way back ;)

The Zed loves to cruise on the motorway, and what's great about the 350 is that whilst the whipper snapper hot hatch is great around town, the 350 will eat hot hatches all day long on the motorway. The beauty is you cruise along in 6th, drop 2 cogs and because of the torque you'll realise why you bought the Zed.

But be VERY careful, the Zed has an inevitable disease called Zeditis (I won't go into it) but you'll soon find out once you get one and reside on the forum for a few months or weeks. Nobody has found a cure btw.

• Like 5

hows the difference in handling and flat out power/speed feel in comparison? I think theres a 0.7s difference in 0-60 compared to the type R as far as book figures are concerned? Your right about the insurance, i do get cheaper insurance quotes with the 350 than with the R.....i can only imagine that's because of the raw high-revving nature of the R which loves a thrashing to the redline so you get loads of chavs racing about in them and their crazy maneuvers = more frequent crashes and dogs balls insurance prices for everyone else :/

frankly i've come to realise, vtec + UK roads = bad combo

because the design of the k20 engine, power delivery is uneven, theres no torque and the power band is high up. This means revving the nuts off and staying in vtec to perform, it just encourages dangerous driving and could mean loss of control especially it being FWD. Of course none of this matters on a racing track but lets face it, we're never on a racing track lol

So this is another point that attracts me to a 350Z, at least theres torque to play with and be lazy on.....i can imagine it being a tamer road car

I got my 350 5days ago, and i came from a modded premier edition ep3 (gruppeM+DCsports mani (decat) + Mugen twinloop) to a stock 350z with and exhaust and speedwise the 350 is faster but you dont feel the speed. In the ep3 it was alot more raw, less refined then the 350. which has its pros and cons i.e.

long journeys are easy in the 350, whilst in the civic it was go kart like esp when lowered, and was really loud when driving.

but then you dont have to change down two gears to get moving in the 350, you can just put your foot down and go. although you need to always keep an eye on the speedo, as you dont realise what speed your doing and can get carried away.

mpg wise, well i mainly do short journeys, and dont like hanging about. i averaged 18mpg in my ep3 (roughly 180 miles a tank) and now im getting an indicated 13-17mpg but thats very short journeys and blasting the car around as its still new, and showing mates etc. id guess it would be similar enough to the civic once i get over the newness factor.

anymore Qs let me know mate

0-60 stats don't give any indication of how good a car is. I haven't driven a Type R so can't say if you'll prefer the Zed, but I do like big, lazy, torquey engines. Obviously the biggest difference from CTR to 350Z is the driven wheels and whether you prefer power from the front or back. Personally I prefer RWD because it gives you more options :thumbs:

I actually think the 350Z has the ideal amount of power for the road - you can use all of it most of the time on the right road.

Id say coming from a Type R to a 350 you are going to feel its slower. But only because its deceptive.

I spent the first 2-3 weeks regularly traveling at above 90MPH not even realising what I was doing as the zed gains speed without any hassle at all, different to my Celica I owned before it which need some severe thrashing, was another high revving car.

All in all, 350 is much better. By far the most refined thing ive ever driven in my 4 car history. The engines are good for around 200,000 miles, reliability is pretty good, Japanese after all.

As above, the most noticeable difference is the refinement and decpetive speed.

I get roughly 27MPG weekly on my 15 minute commute to work, and my route is national speed limit countries roads, so all in all it was better than I expected.

Compared to hot hatches and such like, with the zed you don't have to constantly 'be on it' like you would with a small revvy hatch, the torque and the grunt is enough to travel as fast as neccesary without putting any strain on the engine.

Even when your right foot is flat to the floor, it feels fast but not rapid. Only when you look down at the speedo you will realise they really do shift

Still love Honda's they just don't make a car I need at the moment.

VTEC days are gone, the future for Honda is going to be small boosted and hybrid cars.

B18/K20/F20 will be the best units Honda ever produce I believe.

Yeah I know what you mean! I just wish i bought the Nsx 5years ago when they were around 12grand, now they have rocketed to 30+grand!

Yeah honda have just went with technology and energy saving route, while other hot hatches are pushing 300+bhp!?! But i suppose thats the scene in Japan right now and its what dictates the japanese market these days, the prices you see on evos and skylines etc are dirt cheap you would be surprised at what you could pick up for a couple of grand! Most of them just sitting on forecourts with huge specs and top parts for cheap! Importers are raking in the money btw! haha

Im glad i started driving in the vtec era those named engines are possibly the best na powerplants made in history! however if they do pick up there boots and start bringing out supercharged this and turbocharged that with vtec... that would definately get my attention! Or il just go ahead with my plans and build a toy... a bullet shaped CRX Mugen kitted, drop in an S2000 dash in there, dc5 buckets, then engine wise il drop in a k20 head bolted to accord k24 bottomend and strap a big supercharger on it! :teeth: and with the 800kg curb weight im sure i will take out those Vxr, ST's and RS's and what not! :boxing:

but realistically that would be years away before i can start that as im on project Skyline now :teeth:

Edited by SkylineV35
  • Like 1

Honda like to see themselves as the front runners in whatever's flavour of the month, which is good to a certain degree.

They seem to believe that the way forward is eco, which is fair enough. The new NSX will have a combustion engine of sorts and 4 electric motors, also, the new S2000 replacement will be a hybrid, so they say.

What we can look forward to is the new Civic Type R, which is due about 2015 I believe and is due to be a turbo of sorts, but with the aim of being the quickest FWD car around the Nurburgring, if the Ring is still open then.

Also, with the FI engines, turbo at least don't expect to see the VTEC system, there will just be no need for it with a Turbo.

You won't get typical revvy engine with a K24 bottom end, it just wont do it. It will, but it won't feel like you want it too.

Unless you get the Mugen version of it, but that's stupid money.

If I was to choose it would be a charged K20, crica 300hp, not after huge figures, just progressive strong power all the way to 9000rpm, in a stripped EP3.

• Like 1