Arrrgh tyres!

brillomaster

So long story short, garage told me i need new front tyres. The inner edges are badly worn due to bad tracking.

On the rear i have Falken FK452s, bought new in November and have done maybe 3000 miles, so still loads of tread (although one now has a puncture repair)

Question is what to put on the front? Can't get hold of FK452s now, been replaced by FK453s... so if i want to keep the rears i'll have mismatching tyres... :headhurt:

From memory it seems reviews of the 453s are not that positive.

After this weekend im a huge huge fan of the michelin pss. God they are good. I think SMD was also similarly impressed.

Sorry to hear about the puncture.

Edited by Will370z

After this weekend i can second the vote for the mpss. Loads and loads of front end grip, felt like the car was on rails.

I'll second this. I had my MPSSs fitted recently and they are very good in both dry and wet conditions. Also soak up the bumps better than Bridgestone Re040s but even grippier. The steering response feels faster as well to me

I've got Dunlop sports max on the rear. didn't find any massive issues with the back being weaker than the front although I had the TCS coming on more often than I've had before. but that might have been because of the spirited driving at the Wales meet. I suppose thinking back sometimes it did feel more wishy washy on the rear but nothing major, but then I'm still a newbie with the car.

once the rears get down to the limit I'll be matching them all up then though.

From memory it seems reviews of the 453s are not that positive.

After this weekend im a huge huge fan of the michelin pss. God they are good. I think SMD was also similarly impressed.

Sorry to hear about the puncture.

A big vote of confidence for the MPPS for me too, I think Will knows why ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The reviews for the 453's are good considering their price point. Id go with them if you already have 452's, but 350Ad is correct really.

im switching my rears from RE040's this weekend to 453's but I have RE050's on the front.

Edited by cs2000

My concern for FK453s is they're a different style of tyre, asymetrical as opposed to directional like the FK452s. I've got a good deal on some Hankook Ventus V12s, so have gone for them... similar budget to FK452s, similar tread pattern, heck they're even from a similar part of the world (south korea and japan). According to tyrereviews they have a better average rating than both falkens and dunlops, so hopefully will be ok!

Can you get a part worn set of Falkens and then replace all 4 at a later date? Or, replace the fronts with MPSS or whatever and then replace your rears with these same tyres when you need to. As long as you're driving to the conditions, then non-matching tyres shouldn't be a massive issue. You could get unpredictable handling at high speed or in bad weather, but if you aren't driving like a complete clown, then you should be ok. Loads of people run with different tyres, not ideal, but perfectly safe to do so (Providing you are driving safely).

I also was in this predicament when I swapped out my rears a few months back, luckily I mange to source some of the last stock and my plan was to sell the car so it didn't matter!!!

Now I'm keeping the car :lol: and doing a full suspension swap out when replacing time comes ill be going with the MPSS as they get great reviews as you've been reading! Are these a replacement for MPS 2's or a alternative though?

Can you get a part worn set of Falkens and then replace all 4 at a later date?

Im sorry, I know some may not agree but this scaremongering over tyres is ridiculous. Matched tyres are the ideal solution, but changing a 452 for a 453 is barely going to be noticeable, never mind steer you off the road. Ive driven in all sorts of conditions on all sorts of tyres and not once has a mismatch of grip been the reason for me going off the grey bit, and I dont know anyone or anywhere that is quite as paranoid as here about it - no-one on SXOC has even mentioned it in 12 years ........ :)

Without being funny if you are worrying to that extent Id advise only driving the car when its bone dry, over 10C and Id also suggest keeping below 50mph just to be sure :lol:

• Like 1

Can you get a part worn set of Falkens and then replace all 4 at a later date?

Im sorry, I know some may not agree but this scaremongering over tyres is ridiculous. Matched tyres are the ideal solution, but changing a 452 for a 453 is barely going to be noticeable, never mind steer you off the road. Ive driven in all sorts of conditions on all sorts of tyres and not once has a mismatch of grip been the reason for me going off the grey bit, and I dont know anyone or anywhere that is quite as paranoid as here about it - no-one on SXOC has even mentioned it in 12 years ........ :)

Without being funny if you are worrying to that extent Id advise only driving the car when its bone dry, over 10C and Id also suggest keeping below 50mph just to be sure :lol:

I totally agree, I was just suggesting an option if he wanted to keep the fronts and rears matched. You're far more likely to crash / lose control through bad driving than mis-matched tyres.

I've just fitted 453's all round and so far they are really good. Camskills got a good price.

If in doubt call Falken or a supplier and ask. I think 452 and 453 will be fine together.

I've just come off miss matched tires and theres not much difference except the grip of course lol.

I had RE040's on the front and Vreds on the rear. No problems with that set up at all. Except the Vreds ran down in 9K as they're sooooo soft!!!

Or maybe my driving lol :lol:

nah im already decided on the hankooks lol, ordered them last tuesday, getting them fitted tomorrow! will let you know if i end up backwards in a hedge.

PS POST 1000! happy veterans day to me!

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 1