Wrong tyres Gromit!

Phlukey

Was cleaning the Zed today and to my horror I noticed, for the first time since I got the car, that some Klucko has fitted 225 tyres all round!!!!

My Zed is a GT pack with Rays 18" wheels and so should be running on 245 rears and 225 fronts I think. I bought the car from the same Nissan dealer (KAP Folkestone) which it was purchased from new by it's last owner and it's only done 23,000 miles. Luckily the car is still within its years warranty, so I'm hoping I have a case to get this issue sorted via that route, as surely a car should be expected to be supplied from a reputable main dealer with the correct factory spec size tyres fitted, on the grounds of safety if nothing else?!

Now the panic set in even more when I started to wonder whether or not the 225 tyres on the rear have been stretcheded onto the correct sized 8.5JJ 33mm offset rim (which I think would be possible) or if, even worse, somehow the car has come to be fitted with 8JJ 30mm offset front sized rims all round!!! :-O I know the Rays rims should be staggered, unlike the standard fit Nissan wheels which I think are 8JJ all round. I really hope the rims are the correct staggered sizes, as otherwise I shall have to try and battle for a new set of rear Rays rims refurbed in sparkle silver to match the fronts AND 2 new 245 section tyres! :-(

So, my question to you knowledgeable bunch is...... is there any way to easily differentiate between the Rays front 8JJ and rear 8.5JJ rims to confirm if I have the correct sized rims or not without having to jack the car up and take the wheels off (lazy I know! lol). Should the difference in the width of the rims be easily visible if they are correct, as it is quite a small amount to spot by eye without the rims side by side for comparison I would think?

Any help / advice would be appreciated muchly ;-)

Edited by Phlukey

Lol sorry, dumb question I know, but just checking I'm not missing a trick, as 0.5" seems like such a small difference. Guess it's enough to effect how the wall of the tyre sits and therefore how the tyre performs.

Also, Do you think I have a good case approaching the dealer over sorting this issue?

Cheers for your advice Doogy :thumbs:

Edited by Phlukey

Also, Do you think I have a good case approaching the dealer over sorting this issue?

Absolutely, Rays should be staggered fitment, I dont know a single Zed with Rays that are any different. If they are not helpful, then just buy a pair that are correct and flog your others on here.

Or buy another 4 (whichever you need) and you will have 2 full sets . . Summer & Winter ;)

• Like 1

Cheers for you help / advice guys. I will have a measure up to confirm. If it does turn out to have 8JJ's all round, it does beg the question.... How the hell has a 23,000 mile car that's only ever been back to the original Nissan main dealer ended up with incorrectly sized rims?! Very worrying! :-/

Cheers for you help / advice guys. I will have a measure up to confirm. If it does turn out to have 8JJ's all round, it does beg the question.... How the hell has a 23,000 mile car that's only ever been back to the original Nissan main dealer ended up with incorrectly sized rims?! Very worrying! :-/

I would expect that you just have the wrong tires, but its worth checking the rims

How the hell has a 23,000 mile car that's only ever been back to the original Nissan main dealer ended up with incorrectly sized rims?! Very worrying! :-/

Was the car supplied with Rays when it was new? If they were fitted afterwards then who knows what you might have. If I was you then I would take all the wheels off and check them myself before going back to the dealer. The size is clearly shown on the back of the wheel. I wouldn't accept any budget tyres either, unless that's what you've got now in which case I'd pay the difference to upgrade to something safe.

I'm sure there was some guy on the forum fairly recently who had the wheels mixed up by someone who should have known better and ended up with one or both of the front wheels on the back of the car and only noticed after the accident. :scare:

Thanks for the explanation. :thumbs: Can you run a 245 on a 8.0 rim?

The Bridgestone Databook says it's okay, plus the standard non-Rays 18" wheels are only 8" and come with 245/45 tyres. I see no reason why you shouldn't do it other than it's an unecessary compromise seeing as 8.5" Rays are so readily available. :blink:

Ok guys, had a bit of a measure up this morning, as suggested by Doogy, and it would seem that the rims are thankfully the correct sizes. From inside lip to outside lip (measuring through the spokes) the front rims measured approx 9" and the rear rims measured approx 9.5" (strange, as I thought it would be 8" and 8.5" due to 8jj and 8.5jj sizes, but at least there appears to be a clear 0.5" difference)

So, at least now I will only have to approach the dealer with fitting some replacement rear tyres, which I hope they'll do without too much argument, as this should of been picked up by the checks they carried out on the car during prep for sale.

Thanks again for your help / advice guys :-)

Also, for anyone else who finds themselves in this unfortunate predicament at any point, the 225 tyres fitted to the 8.5jj rims on the rear do not look ovely stretched, maybe ever so slightly more than the front if you really look hard at it, but certainly not noticeably so.

So moral is.........check your tyres! lol