Focus ST

scobie140

Thinking of trading in the mrs little ibiza sc for a older style st since the prices have dropped loads for the earlyer ones, so she'll have a nice car and it'l be futureproof if/when we have a child. Anyone came from one of them to here could offer any words of wisdom on what to look out for when looking for one? i'll do the usual and have a look through thier forums for common faults etc but always nice to here from someone whos got experiance but nolonger blinded by the faults due to owning one.

Thanks for help or advice folks

I've not heard any horror stories tbh. Someone on another forum I used to use recently bought one cheap with over 100k on the clock and is happy with it.

One of my mates had an early one from new and a facelift before trading to an RS but tbh he only had them for a few thousand miles so not really enough time to develop faults.

I'd consider a 5 door when I need more space.

And they are Fords so parts and labour are cheap, cheap, cheap.

I swapped in my roadstar for an ST3 and it's a good car. Easy to get in and out, nice looking, good owners club, but it's greedy.

TBH I was getting pretty anal about leaving the Z anywhere in case it was scratched or dinged in the supermarket. I have no fears with the Focus, common as poo, some barsteward has already keyed it and made a good job of it but i don't care, it's a Ford. Had it been my Z I'd still be in orbit.

Good vibes then, would probably go for a st2 or st3 for the slight extra specs. Not fussed on the petrol consumption she struggles to reach 5k a year. Seems there's a few common issues to do with the power steering and some diaphram so will need to look into that a bit more.

I had a 57plate 3door st2 in silver before getting the Z it's was a good car and fun to drive the v5 sounded ace as well ,had it since new for 5 years. I had no problems with it at all. The only thing was the low mpg I got about 18 to 24 mpg out off it and only ever got 30mpg ones or twice on a motor way run . I also needed new tyres every 7000 miles. Hope that helps at all, I was told if u chip it i would gain 5mpg and + the obverse more power

Been to see loads of these the past week, all apart from two had rust at the rear arch and the rest were all in pretty poor nick apart from this one http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201244491132783/sort/default/usedcars/price-from/4000/price-to/8000/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/model/focus/make/ford/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/30/page/1/postcode/fk29tl/keywords/st?logcode=p So going to phone up today and arrange a test drive for the weekend, overall seem pretty reliable cars so just need to see if it feels ok and if the mrs likes driving it. Shes not been to keen on my type r or 350 as there heavy on the pedals and steering, but she liked her dads normal focus so should be fine

didn't get it, needs new disks and pads soon of the front, belts are squeeling like mad, and one front tyre has a slit in the sidewall, oil filler cap was full of emulsified oil and dip stick was stuck solid and took a lot of force to get out. salesman turned from sound guy to bit of a knob when all this was pointed out, especially when I said It would need to be two new tyres as its poor practice to have different tyres on the same axle. being honest wasn't bothered about the brakes really as there not too expensive and a doddle to change but belts looked a nightmare to get into. had he change the belts and tyres he'd probably have been quids in. His loss

Astra vxr, 30 mpg town driving and i got around 38 on motorway!

But its a Vauxhaull!

Once again you are aware that your driving a Nissan yes?!?!?!

Have you ever driven a vauxhall? I'm not a badge snob but I don't like vauxhalls much at all. They have a very fisher price feel to them. The brakes are always way way way over servo'd the gearbox never feels real and they are just ughh no matter how fast they are. I do like the vx220 though.

• Like 1

But its a Vauxhaull!

Have you ever driven a vauxhall? I'm not a badge snob but I don't like vauxhalls much at all. They have a very fisher price feel to them. The brakes are always way way way over servo'd the gearbox never feels real and they are just ughh no matter how fast they are. I do like the vx220 though.

Penty of times......utter shite but I don't get the badge snobbery! Nissan ain't exactly premium!

For the record the zed is my all time favourite car.

But its a Vauxhaull!

Penty of times......utter shite but I don't get the badge snobbery! Nissan ain't exactly premium!

I agree but maybe he isn't a badge snob either they do make some bad cars :lol:

I seriously considered an ST as long ago as 2003 and went as far as having a fairly long test drive. Despite the fact I was offered a really good deal I found the car to be uninspiring and pretty bland really.

Pete

I agree but maybe he isn't a badge snob either they do make some bad cars :lol:

What a ball-bag... You literally just assumed I was being a snob, the reason I made the commenet was down to the fact that every Vauxhuall I have driven, drove like a bag of $hit.

My 'Nissan' does not drive like a bag of $hit, in fact its lovely compared the Vauxhualls I have driven - Hence the comment.

If i was a snob I would go back to my BMW.