Are there any Welsh speakers coming to Wales 2013?

http://www.350z-uk.c...zedley__st__120

this one for twobears to get her started

ok - scroll down to my post of zedley sat on the road name sign - no cheating by going further (well you can look at the rest of the photo's :D )

Can't pronounce that, just looks like a random sequence of letters to me :surrender:. Of course, having lived in Wales for so long I'm pretty keyed up on Welsh place names pronunciations and am forever pulling up people who don't pronounce them correctly :lol: .

Pete

Of course, having lived in Wales for so long I'm pretty keyed up on Welsh place names pronunciations and am forever pulling up people who don't pronounce them correctly :lol: .

Pete

My mate always does that to me, I just do it on purpose now to annoy him :lol:

I've lived here all my life & I barely speak a word of Welsh. My Spanish is better than my Welsh :lol:

Of course, having lived in Wales for so long I'm pretty keyed up on Welsh place names pronunciations and am forever pulling up people who don't pronounce them correctly :lol: .

Pete

I've lived here all my life & I barely speak a word of Welsh. My Spanish is better than my Welsh :lol:

Hola Ian :wave:

• Like 1

My parents are from the Manchester area - but we've lived down here most of my life and they still pronounce things like a newbie english person

they pronounce "cleddau" as "cledai" - when as you all know should be phonetically "clethai" - it drives me nuts ................. unless they do it on purpose ????

Edited by ioneabee

Pete

Hola Ian :wave:

Hola Senor :wave:

• Like 1

ionabee, I'm afraid that I have failed hopelessly on my starter question. Not a hope of me pronouncing that one :scare: Some beautiful photos though. Maybe I should move to Wales and join a Welsh class? I can't think of any other way to learn unless there is someone here in East Yorks who gives lessons and I've not found anyone yet.

If I meet any Welsh people that insist on talking foreign I will use the tried and tested Englishman abroad tactic of saying the same thing slightly slower and slightly louder over and over again until I am understood :teeth:

Edited by spursmaddave

Different approach to me then. At least I am trying. I may not be succeeding mind you ... :blush:

I have a couple of paintings that I bought in Wales last year. One is of Borth-Y-Gest, a place I know well and can pronounce but the other place is impossible for me to say and the gallery owner couldn't say it either. Can I send you the name and ask for a phonetic breakdown please as I would love to know how to say it?

One is of Borth-Y-Gest, a place I know well

+1 A lovely place right by Porthmadog. Been there several times, lovely to sit on one of those benches and to look across the bay to Harlech castle in the distance on a sunny day.

Yes, it is one of my favourite places too. I have been going there since I was a small child when I used to have a little clinker built dinghy to row around the harbour in. It has changed in some ways but, in others, remains exactly the same. Shame the harbourmaster's cottage is no longer a working cottage but the views across the bay are wonderful.