Are there any Welsh speakers coming to Wales 2013?

Sorry mods if this is in the wrong place. I wasn't quite sure where I should post it. Please will you move it if I have got it wrong :blush: Thanks.

I just wondered if there would be any Welsh speaking Zed drivers (or partners) coming along as I would love to learn a few useful Welsh words or simply learn how to pronounce the road signs properly :D I find it really frustrating that I can understand the meaning of the road signs (because I have seen the bilingual ones so often) but have absolutely no idea of the correct pronunciation. I bought myself a "Teach Yourself Welsh" book but it was impossible to follow without hearing the words spoken and I had to give up :surrender:

I am childish too because I can still remember a conversation I overheard in Wales where, after a stream of words that were completely incomprensible to me, one of the women said 'swimming costume' and 'sandwiches' :lol: I thought I must suddenly have learnt how to understand Welsh. Bear in mind that I was only about 7 years old at the time ;)

Despite having lived in Wales for the vast majority of my life I don't speak any Welsh and neither does Caroline. Most of the population around here speak English only, you have to travel to the smaller villages to the South of Mold before you hear any Welsh. In Flintshire where I live, Polish speakers outnumber Welsh speakers about 20 to one :scare: . However, I know that ChrisS's son Liam speaks fluent Welsh and new member jonny the mod who will be popping down with me on Friday afternoon has some Welsh.

Pete

JetSet, Polish is the main language in my nearest town too but I hadn't realised that it was common in Flintshire. The part of Wales where I always stay seems to be entirely Welsh speaking and I feel quite ignorant sometimes because I daren't even try a "Good morning" in case my accent is so bad that everyone laughs at me :blush:

If anyone has the patience to teach me how to pronounce a few words I would be very grateful :)

Rydw i'n galli siared cymraeg, ond rydwi i wedi anghofio mwyafryd ohono rwan. mean problem achos rydw i ddym yn gwybod beth dywnrod rydw in mynd. (i think i got that close enough.. its been a long time since i spoke welsh on a daily basis.... i do know all the swear words if you interested)

I am childish too because I can still remember a conversation I overheard in Wales where, after a stream of words that were completely incomprensible to me, one of the women said 'swimming costume' and 'sandwiches' :lol: I thought I must suddenly have learnt how to understand Welsh. Bear in mind that I was only about 7 years old at the time ;)

in hindsight, was she perhaps referring to a gentleman who she thought had stuffed his sandwiches down his swimming costume to make him look, let's say, more manly ?

:getmicoat: :innocent::sorry::banned::byebye:

Ha ha, hopefully I will have no need to swear at anyone in Welsh and I haven't a clue what you have written (like I said, I only know 'slow down' and 'police') but you could teach me how to say "Hello" and "Thank you" instead if you like :)

Bore dda is correct.. ive no cowing idea what the old smugglers mean twobears, but hello is actually HELLO !!! (dont laugh). thank you will be hard for a begginer but have a go at this.... DEE....OL CH ERN VAWER (the ch is pronounced as if you were bringing up a greenie!,sorry but thats the way it sounds) If you can say that well done mate

I am childish too because I can still remember a conversation I overheard in Wales where, after a stream of words that were completely incomprensible to me, one of the women said 'swimming costume' and 'sandwiches' :lol:

There are 2 explanations. As Ekona has said there are quite often no Welsh equivalent words and the Welsh (unlike The French) seem quite happy to express things in English. Welsh isn't a dynamic ever changing language like English as apart from a small Welsh speaking population in Patagonia there aren't any outside influences. The other explanation is that what is known as "code switching" is fairly common in Wales especially among younger people. I recently travelled to Cardiff on a train that originated in North West Wales a Welsh speaking stronghold and some of the youngsters were speaking whole sentences in English before lapsing back into Welsh......really weird.

Pete

I can help with the pronu....pronoun ................. the way its said

but I'm not fluent at all - my son is (same as liam) but he won't be there :blush:

however, south walean welsh and north walean (aka GOG) are completely different :dry: