Which sounds best? F-Type

Mikesding

Well out of my price range but can't wait to hear some of these on the road. Might even say that the V6 model sounds nicer than the zed (which was by far my favourite V6 I'd heard until now)

The base V6 model pushes out about the same horsepower as the 370z, but is about £30,000 more! The V8 is almost 500bhp.

Very nice car though - hopefully there will be one at goodwood Edited by Mikesding

I'd buy the V8 a couple of years down the line, then the massive hit has already happened and you'll be getting a proper car for a fairly reasonable price. There's tons of carbon fibre trim available from the factory too!

I cannot get excited by one, sorry. Tiny boot, lots of weight, unappealing engines unless you spend £80K+ on the V8, and Jag dealerships to deal with.

A coupe could be a more interesting proposition, but at what cost? Do they do a Porsche and price it higher a la Cayman, or go lower? If I'm spending £80K on a V8 sports car I'm getting an R8, if I want a 2 seat convertible I'm buying the Boxster and saving a fortune whilst having a better drive.

I want to be so excited about it, but I just can't :( I'll go and drive one of course, just to see. Be rude not to.

Both V6 and V8 sound distinctive. The V6 sounds much nicer than a stock 350Z does! The price puts it in a different market to the 370Z though, will be really interesting to see how well this sells, as JLR marketing/business strategy seems to have been on the money the last few years.

will be really interesting to see how well this sells, as JLR marketing/business strategy seems to have been on the money the last few years.

See, I'd disagree with that.

Look how good the XK looks. Just the normal one, ignoring the stunning R version. Then look at the XF. It's a muscular, handsome beast. And the XJ. Revolution of the name, but it works so very well. All great cars, yes?

Then why isn't there one on every corner?

They should have done better with what they've got. Much better.

The price of the F-type makes no sense at all to me. I think it's treading on the toes of the XK quite a bit, and the price compared to other similar sized roadsters will make it appeal to only a small niche following IMHO.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some serious price drops, or giveaway finance offers. First run purchasers are not going to be happy IMHO. Just like the new FFRR, they seem to be hiking the price before they shake the image which causes rapid depreciation.

I'd have thought waiting a couple more years or so to shake the image before hiking prices would have been better. If they seriously sting new RR and Jag owners, they may never shake the rapid depreciation stigma.

will be really interesting to see how well this sells, as JLR marketing/business strategy seems to have been on the money the last few years.

Look how good the XK looks. Just the normal one, ignoring the stunning R version. Then look at the XF. It's a muscular, handsome beast. And the XJ. Revolution of the name, but it works so very well. All great cars, yes?

The financial reports for JLR suggest that as a business they're doing very well, as does their continued expansion and lengthy waiting lists for new models.

They're not out to compete with the likes of the VW Group for world domination in terms of overall sales - they just don't have the manufacturing capacity. Nor should they try to - a cheapo Ford Focus rival from Jag would be pointless and at total odds with the brand, whereas a market-topping premium A4/3-series/C-class rival might. Doesn't mean it'll trounce the others in sales figures, but if they're selling all they can build and are making the business more profitable - I'd say they're doing something right.

I think jag screwed up any image it had with its crappy cars in the last 10-15 years. I'm talking about its normal cars not its sports cars. The normal old ones are driven by gangsters from LAAAAAAndaaaan and need scrapping every mot and the newer ones are horrible things which IMO dented the brand badly.

I have to say I like the look and sound of it, namely the V6 S. I do however think it is overpriced. Given that it is supposed to be the successor to the E type, it is this vital point that Jaguar have missed all together. The E type was a gorgeous ( even by Enzo's admission ) car but more importantly it was keenly priced against its rivals of the day.

I have to say I like the look and sound of it, namely the V6 S. I do however think it is overpriced. Given that it is supposed to be the successor to the E type, it is this vital point that Jaguar have missed all together. The E type was a gorgeous ( even by Enzo's admission ) car but more importantly it was keenly priced against its rivals of the day.

Isn't it keenly priced against it's rivals? We are talking about; M6, Vantage, 911, California, SL500 etc. £80K is reasonable compared to these, or am I missing where this car is aimed?

A lot of the journalists seem to be getting wound up about the fact that the pricing doesn't neatly pigeon-hole the car into an existing price category. Expensive Boxster rival, or cheap 911 alternative?! Going to be interesting to see how it sells. At a guess the new XK will be priced above it, making that even more expensive - which would then suggest they're gunning for Aston territory?