Zed Extended Road Trip: Scotland (well, most of it)

Stutopia

So the warranty is up on my Zed at the end of May. Apart from a couple of 2 hour trips over the Pennines I've not really driven her for extended periods and I want to reveal any camouflaged problems before the 3 months is up (and possibly test out my roadside assistance policy too!). I've seen a few roads on TV/movies that looked awesome, and having visited more of Colombia than I have of the North of Scotland, I thought why not do a bit of a road trip and take a few days off work?

This initial route might be a bit ambitious (I can get carried away with maps) but I've had a sniff around the web and this takes in what others have described as some of the best roads in Scotland. Anyone got any suggested route changes, must see landmarks, or simply a big list of petrol stations with super on tap, that they can suggest?

http://goo.gl/maps/kFtf0

As usual, thanks for any comments.

image_zpsa3387eb1.jpg

Edited by SuperStu

Is the octane booster any good, or just a better alternative than regular?

Just quickly browsing shell, esso & BP store locators, looks pretty low on ANY kind of station north of Inverness. Maybe an emergency jerry can for the boot, as well as booster, I bet there's only enough petrol in one of them for about 12 miles in the Zed!

Here you go stu, just one of a few previous threads relating to doing the highlands (you could also check out some "post Hoon" ones) but Colin and Stew have both mentioned a few stations that sell super in this one. :thumbs:

http://www.350z-uk.c...ner#entry885998

As for octane booster, it certainly wouldn't do any harm having some with you incase you stop somewhere that only sell normal unleaded. :) You'll also not be disappointed with the food at the Applecross Inn.

You won't get super in the highliands, full stop. I'm glad I took plenty of OB with me when I went, you'll want a bottle per fillup.

That route will be awesome, although I'd suggest dropping down through the Cairngorms if you have the time instead of coming straight down from Inverness (towards N on your map), it's a far more exciting drive and coming over the mountains is incredible. I'll dig out my TT files for you that I used on my LeJog trip a couple of years ago if you like?

Can't get your intended route to show on this phone, but the dalwhinnie to spean bridge road always raises a few smiles regardless what car you drive.

+1 and two others you should take in is the Applecross Pass after point 'H' on your route and eat here: http://www.applecross.uk.com/inn/tariffs.htm Then take the coastal road north from there back onto your planned route. B)

And no visit across the border should be made without a visit to theTrossachs (turn westwards onto the A821 before Callender - point Q on your map) Either way, the flowing bends at the western end of that road are just made for the ZEDs :D (pull over and wait if you come up behind the Morris Minor outing ;):lol: )

You won't get super in the highliands, full stop. I'm glad I took plenty of OB with me when I went, you'll want a bottle per fillup.

That route will be awesome, although I'd suggest dropping down through the Cairngorms if you have the time instead of coming straight down from Inverness (towards N on your map), it's a far more exciting drive and coming over the mountains is incredible. I'll dig out my TT files for you that I used on my LeJog trip a couple of years ago if you like?

Thanks mate, that'd be great.

Did some of the Cairngorms as a youth, but will be able to squeeze it in. I remember learning to windsurf on a loch up there, and it started snowing whilst I was out there. Think the water was quite cold!

Applecross and Trossachs added, thanks!

Nice one Ewan, added also. Didn't really think about Zed owner pitstops along the way, great idea.

Downloaded a bunch of oil company apps, at this rate it'll be a route of Scotland's best petrol stations, well Partridge, mustn't forget my Toblerone and remember to add Dundee. Ahhhh haaaaa!!!

Please don't mention the price of petrol, at this rate, it'll be cheaper to have two weeks in Cuba, contraceptives included.

I'm on my own (unless anyone else fancies it at practically zero notice?) with Zed, camera and toothbrush an OB (passport?) starting in Blackpool, but I've added too many stops to the list that google maps can't deal with it. Pretty sure I can find Glasgow from here though, generally south west yeah? :teeth:

http://tinyurl.com/c7d9v5a

Updated route, looks like Cairngorms might be a mountain range too far. I've been there before and it'll mean missing out me capturing Nessie on the way home and getting to do my Quint speech from Jaws in a local pub. Also the new route accommodates General Wade's Military Road - with a name like that, it must be good.

Thanks all for the tips, not sure how much more can go in, it'll be over 1000 miles by the time I add in getting to Glasgow and back from Annan - I only planned for 4 days, might go for 5. Just got to cross ref the fuel stops with the route now.

image_zpsf21eb925.jpg

Edited by SuperStu

FYI anyone who reads this in future planning a road trip north of Inverness/Fort William. I emailed Gleaner filling stations looking for Super in the highlands. They kindly replied with the following:

"In response to your email below I can confirm the following Gleaner Branded Filling Stations sell Super Unleaded:

Fort William to Mallaig

Onich Service, Onich, PH33 6RZ & Ben Nevis Services Fort William PH33 6TF

Armadale to Kyle of Lochalsh

Kyle Filling Station, Kyle of Lochalsh, IV40 8AG

Applecross to Ullapool

Lochbroom Filling Station, Ullapool, IV26 2SX

Ullapool Durness to Thurso

Bridgend Filling Station, Thurso, KW14 8PP

Thurso to Inverness

Skiach Services & Restaurant Evanton IV16 9XH

Hope the above information is of help and you have a pleasant trip in the Highlands"

Clearly it may not always be in stock, I accept no responsibility for anyone running out of fuel, or not taking octane booster with them!

Your last part back down the A9 will be pretty boring - I'd come down via the Cairngorms if I had the time - unless of course you're stopping off to see zmanalex to get some goodies ;) As Gary has already said if you can somehow fit in the A86 it is a good run but looking at your current route unless you reverse it it isn't really do-able.

As you have found out already plenty of the petrol stations do have super - it is really no biggie :thumbs:

Have you looked at the Hoon threads?

:drive1

I did the upper part of that route 2 years ago and it was absolutely fantastic. Having been in Scotland my whole life I was taken aback my some of the scenery north of fort william. The difference between the east and west coast is amazing. Il find a thread with some pics

I was in the Trossachs on Monday with some great roads and scenery, glad you've added them in