Fords: the water type

ph 7

Morning all,

I have found a better route to one of my golf clubs that not only avoids traffic but is also brings in some wide and fun country lanes :thumbs:

The downside of all of this is that at the end of the lane there is a ford that regularly runs at 8" and I have seen it as high as 12" I have gone through it a few times now and wouldn't go through it again at 12 inches as there was quite a wave. I get alot of steam coming off my wheels as i sit at the junction after it. To have the fun route I can't avoid the ford without adding miles onto the journey and it then isn't worth it.

How bad is it for the car, specifically the brakes that get rapidly cooled? What depth would you back out of, are you braver than 12 inches?

The steam isn't any worse than any of the other cars passing through it.

Interesting google earth pics

8621776238_03dbac6bda_b.jpg

ford by p_h_7, on Flickr

8620675867_f7bc366013_b.jpg

ford2 by p_h_7, on Flickr

Car will be fine, brakes will cope with that kind of temp change all day unless you've just done a 150mph to standstill stop just before the ford ;)

I don't go through anything that's higher than the bottom of the door.

i drove the xkr down a road that was flooded for 6 miles and it was coming over the bonnet at points. but it was all fine. as long as water doesnt get to the filter most of the rest of the engine is all sealed. only other area of concern is water getting into the bodywork.

Car will be fine, brakes will cope with that kind of temp change all day unless you've just done a 150mph to standstill stop just before the ford ;)

I don't go through anything that's higher than the bottom of the door.

Will take a tape measure to the car later. A friend following me said that my exhaust tips just touched the water as I drove back up the slope (the photos don't show the elevation) when it was just over a foot high.

Yeah I would be comfortable with it asking as its no higher than the door sills. Also I always just keep my revs high to keep water out the exhaust but go slowish so as to not splash water up into the filter