Cuba

Humpy

Currently trying to decide where to go on holiday later this year and Cuba keeps coming up as a possibility. After a holiday that we can spend half time on beach ( crystal clear water ) unwinding and the other half of time doing excursions and doing the cultural thing.

So question is has anyone been to Cuba and give some of their own views and opinions on this destination? Obviously doing some of our own research but nice to hear other views and opinions.

Thanks

Steve.

I looked into Cuba a few years back. I'd like to go there for 5 days or so to relax and see Havana etc then spend the rest of the 2 weeks in Cancun which is much more fun with many many activities due to the Americanisation of it.

I went to Cuba for 2 weeks for a wedding. Amazing place easily the best holiday I have had we went to one of the big resorts out there which was all inclusive food and drinks all day chilling out by the sea which was 5 foot steps away.

The people out there are so friendly, we also did a catmeran out to a small island which allowed you to snorckle that was also amazing the fish you see out there is nothing like you see anywhere else.

Well worth doing! If you want any other info on where we went give me a pm

I went to Cuba for 2 weeks for a wedding. Amazing place easily the best holiday I have had we went to one of the big resorts out there which was all inclusive food and drinks all day chilling out by the sea which was 5 foot steps away.

The people out there are so friendly, we also did a catmeran out to a small island which allowed you to snorckle that was also amazing the fish you see out there is nothing like you see anywhere else.

Well worth doing! If you want any other info on where we went give me a pm

Where did you go/stay exactly?

Thanks

I've been. I stayed on a peninsula called Varadero which is full of all inclusive hotels and nice beaches and you can do day trips out from there. Its about 2-3 hours from Havana by bus. Varadero is off limits to Cubans unless they work on the peninsula so its safe, hassle free and relaxing. The beaches are really good if you're in to that. I went in June and found it too hot to lie in for more than an hour but there's always the pool and pool bar!

Havana is a great place to see as there's nowhere else like it. So many old cars and a big Soviet influence. Lada anyone? You do get hassled a lot by locals, they come across as friendly and helpful but they're only after 1 thing as they are all poor. They love dancing and salsa and there's amazing jazz bars and clubs and things like that. If you do go take the tour of the Partegas factory where they make the cigars.

The food in Cuba is limited. It probably depends on the quality of the hotel you stay at but in Havana you do well to find more than a ham and cheese sandwich. A restaurant will have about 40 things on the menu but will only have 4 or 5 things in stock.

I'm sure there's loads of decent places to go on holiday but Cuba is really nice and I would recommend it, especially if you like looking at the history and museums and @*!# like that.

Viva La Revolucion

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful place.. The Cayo Cocos are beautiful but a little removed from actual Cuban way of life.. Depends what type of holiday you like, if its just chilling on a beach then that's the place and its on a causeway off the main island. The island has its own run ways etc and the only thing bar hotels is Mosquitos.

4 days and I'd had enough. Flew to Havana booked into a hotel and had the time of my life. Great people, friendly, you just have to explore to find the right places to eat etc and keep in mind it's a poor nation.. Not in the fact it's 3rd world as they actually have a better health/education system than ours.. The only thing they have to pay for in Cuba is electricity and food.. But food is expenses due to the yanks.

But like all things in Cuba, they are so colourful with all there creations. If you go I'd say do the split holiday.. Few days in Havana smoking some huge Cubans and pickling yourself in rum then chill on a beach doing exactly the same. Hahaha

Oooh one more thing, Cuba is full of holidaying Canadians. Not as in your face as the yanks and you can have a laugh with them but boy can they drink and they all have bubba keg cups. Ale can disappear very quickly from the bars at the hotel if you ain't got one.. Trip advisor is a great source of info and where I found out about the bubba kegs.. In true Brit style you feel a little guilty at first having a litre of Mojito at your side but that soon disappears as you get pi**ed. Haha

Enjoy

Another one here been to Cayos Coco...got a last minute deal about 5 years ago for £425 for 4* all inc hotel and flights. For that money I would most certainly go again but I don't think I would go there for a honeymoon...I think people on 'special holidays' tend to have higher hopes and requirements and at the time most of the poor reviews on Trip Advisor were from those who'd spent £4k...if you spent that money little things would p!ss you off a lot more than if you only spent 400 quid.

Although I enjoyed it some of the stuff in Ricey's review sounds very familar...the food was pretty crap but you're on a (virtually) communist island with a massive trade embargo against it so they do have problems getting fresh food in (this is particularly the case in the Coco Is apparently). I'm so glad I saw Havana tho, that was amazing as it's probably gonna be dragged into the 21st century pretty quick after the Castro bro's pop off so seeing the place in it's 50's splendor was well worth the £425 alone.

In Cuba pretty much all the hotels are all-inc and to be honest that's not my cup of tea...if I was going to honeymoon in the Caribbean I'd probs go to somewhere like Barbados or Bermuda where there's resorts where you wander around the towns and go to rum shacks and get trollied with the locals.

S.

Edit: sorry, thought I'd read in first post you were considering it for a honeymoon rather than just a regular hol

In Cuba pretty much all the hotels are all-inc and to be honest that's not my cup of tea...if I was going to honeymoon in the Caribbean I'd probs go to somewhere like Barbados or Bermuda where there's resorts where you wander around the towns and go to rum shacks and get trollied with the locals.

S.

Edit: sorry, thought I'd read in first post you were considering it for a honeymoon rather than just a regular hol

Started to panic there for a minute, thought you knew something I didnt!

Havanna has to be on the list of things to do whislt were out there so we are now thinking that Cayo cocos etc is to far out. Might have a look into what Devilz said and investigate that area a little more as it is closer to Havana. Thanks for the input all!

Thanks all for the opinions and reviews. Holiday now booked to Cuba :teeth:

You will enjoy it I went to varadero a few years back mainly to do the Havana two day excursion as its only two hours away more or less.It was heaven for me sun, sea, rum and those lovely Cohibas .if you can get to do a speed boat trip its a blast in your own little two seater through the mangroves and then our guide took us out further to watch the dolphins right beside our boat .

Food wise it can get a little tired but I love pork and fish so ok by me and the biggest plus point is that Americans cant travel . And the Canadians that can are the politest people I've met.

• Like 1

I also went to the Cayos and it was beautiful but once you had done the speedboat and smorkeling around the mangroves and the trip to the sugar cane plantation there wasnt much else to do. Did take a trip to the nearest town which was called Moron (made me chuckle) but despite taking loads of cash there was nothing to buy!!!

The people are great and I would def go back but probably to Veradero like the others said. Have a fab time and drink lots of mojito's

• Like 1

I also went to the Cayos and it was beautiful but once you had done the speedboat and smorkeling around the mangroves and the trip to the sugar cane plantation there wasnt much else to do. Did take a trip to the nearest town which was called Moron (made me chuckle) but despite taking loads of cash there was nothing to buy!!!

The people are great and I would def go back but probably to Veradero like the others said. Have a fab time and drink lots of mojito's

We have booked at Varadero as we want to be semi close to Havana. Already planning on staying at Havana for 3 nights, then the excursions like you said above plus seeing the dolphins, jeep safari etc.

Havana trip is good coco cabana great night out and explore the old city as the markets are great fun got my humordor from there . Just bring me back some Cohibas lol.

I will try to put some pics up if I can work out how to .

Edited by raduv66

Oh and take out little trinkets such as crayons travel soaps shampoo etc have a look on trip advisor for examples and lay on the bed for the maids the people are poor and appreciate it and will decorate your room out special and even leave you a nice thank you . And you get a well stocked fridge . Tip the waiter at your bar and never have to get up from your seat trust me its worth it and it a pittance but not for them.

Edited by raduv66
  • Like 1

Oh and take out little trinkets such as crayons travel soaps shampoo etc have a look on trip advisor for examples and lay on the bed for the maids the people are poor and appreciate it and will decorate your room out special and even leave you a nice thank you . And you get a well stocked fridge . Tip the waiter at your bar and never have to get up from your seat trust me its worth it and it a pittance but not for them.

Oh yeah - forgot about that - we took pencils and pens etc and also left some toiletries and clothing behind for the maids. And yes tip the bar staff - they really so appreciate it

Excellent tips there and I have read on trip advisor about leaving things for the maids etc and especially the tipping the bar staff ;)

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't stay in a resort all inclusive thing if you paid me, but do what you want. I went back there in 2006 I think, and spent 3 weeks travelling around and staying in casa particulares. Spent time in Havana, Vinales, Cienfuegos, Tinidad, and a few other places. We did pop over to Varadero for a day trip, but wasn't bothered by it.

It's a fab place, so much to see, so much culture, history, and it's so beautiful and interesting. The people are fab too. I you like rum you'll be in heaven too!

Have a fantastic holiday!

Edited by wmr1980