Handy tools !

RobPhoboS

And I would have a look on eBay, I picked up a silverline torque wrench for just over 20 pound and even comes with something the halfords ser didn't come with a 1/2 to 3/8 socket adapter and also it has a lifetime guarentee. Not the best quality but does the job

That sounds good, I got a Draper torque wrench but had to buy a socket adapter.

The Halfords one is supposed to be good bets value / accuracy I had a cheap torque wrench that snapped a bolt dialled in at a low setting - bloody thing was miles out of spec :rant:

The Halfords one is supposed to be good bets value / accuracy I had a cheap torque wrench that snapped a bolt dialled in at a low setting - bloody thing was miles out of spec :rant:

What make was it? Name and shame them dude!

The halfords one will be good but there expensive think there around £70 pound.

This is the one I have for £20 pound I can't complain also torques upto 210nm

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=380606564289&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=38501691746

silverline tools are average tools but they all come with lifetime guarentees so they can be that bad.

silverline tools are average tools but they all come with lifetime guarentees so they can be that bad.

I never knew that. I assumed as they were mega cheap that if they broke (ive broken a few of their sockets in the past) that you just bin it and buy another one. I knew Halfords Pro have lifetime warranties so ive been trying to buy them instead now for a lot of my stuff.

One mistake I made when I first started buying tools is picking bits up from here & there. For example, with my air tools. I bought a impact wrench & all the sockets, an air sander, a nibbler, an air chisel, spray gun, tyre inflater etc. etc. etc. Then I walked into Halfords 6 months later and they do a starter kit containing nearly all those bits for a fraction I paid. Doh.

One of my favourite purchases has to be my black/gold pimp edition tool chest, with roller bearing drawers. Very nice, and keeps all my tools under lock & key.

One of my favourite purchases has to be my black/gold pimp edition tool chest, with roller bearing drawers. Very nice, and keeps all my tools under lock & key.

Bloomin expensive though tool boxes! I want another / bigger one it will probably be my next major purchase for the ZedShed - although I'm planning an extension on the shed at the moment :ninja:

Ah, any recommended torque wrenches ?

I had one but I've lost the bugger.

I've got a small and medium Teng, can't fault them.

Can't remember the Nm ranges off the top of my head.

They say torque wrenchs are only really accurate when used in the middle of their setting e.g. 1-100nm will be most accurate at 40-80ish.

Bloomin expensive though tool boxes! I want another / bigger one it will probably be my next major purchase for the ZedShed - although I'm planning an extension on the shed at the moment :ninja:

I know mate. I kept thinking just how many tools I could buy for the cost of the box to keep them all in. But, it was a Christmas treat. It is lovely though, on wheels, has 6 or 7 drawers and its so strong you can stick an engine on top of it and rebuild it. Sometimes I find myself just opening & closing the drawers, or taking it for a "walk" around the garage..... :) Also gave me an excuse to buy more tools to fill up the drawers!

Its this baby...

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cbb217bgb-7-drawer-tool-cabinet-black

Edited by rabbitstew

• 4 months later...

I'd be happy with a socket set that doesn't have the disappearing 10 and 13mm socket combo!!. Every fooking set!!

Oh and a good set of calipers is handy, when rummaging through that big box of spare nuts and bolts.

Fully trained mechanic also comes in handy.

• 1 year later...

My Mac Allister 'grip tite' sockets and Plusgas turned up today :D

I shall report on how useful these sockets are on Saturday/Sunday (I already know the Plusgas is great). I managed to start rounding a few minor bolts last weekend, so lets see if these suckers work !

Adding to the thread:

Grip Tite Sockets (there are copies, I've just bought Mac Allister ones from ebay) for rounded nuts !

(very cheesy but you can see how it works)

Cordless impact wrench (plus impact sockets)

WOAH! Why didnt I know about these. These would be so handy. The amount of times ive spent hours trying to undo rounded bolts off. Let us know how they workout as I need some of these!

Adding to the thread:

Grip Tite Sockets (there are copies, I've just bought Mac Allister ones from ebay) for rounded nuts !

(very cheesy but you can see how it works)

Cordless impact wrench (plus impact sockets)

WOAH! Why didnt I know about these. These would be so handy. The amount of times ive spent hours trying to undo rounded bolts off. Let us know how they workout as I need some of these!

I certainly will.

And tomorrow I'm picking up an impact wrench (to undo bits, save time!) as well as a torque wrench.

Probably snowing this weekend as well :lol:

Here, for the first time on the internet are a couple of photo's of my nuts.

:teeth:

IMAG0472_zpspibn2c8p.jpg

IMAG0471_zpsditgrngo.jpg

They aren't horrendously rounded but the torque required to undo them would have just utterly destroyed them if I carried on using the normal sockets.

The grip tite sockets were really useful on some other ones as well, especially as they grip the nut/bolt when you don't want to drop them !

The impact wrench would have gotten them out first time but they are still super useful to have.