Spacers... More than 30mm?

kris

On my last zed I had a set of 30mm spacers made up by driftworks. They spaced out the rays nicely. Now I'm pretty sure I was the first person to have these and I had no issues with them whatsoever.

Driftworks now list spacers for our fitment up to 55mm. Is there any definitive size that is just too big and would cause problems?

http://www.driftworks.com/nissan-5x114-pcd-bolt-on-wheel-spacers-15-55mm.html

Anything that pushes the wheels out beyond the arch will just look silly I think....

I have 25mm on the rear and 30mm wouldn't look out of place I reckon....

Aren't spacers dangerous for the wheel chassis in the long run?! I was told this by one mechanic(no names here,but you probably guess Dave who I'm talking about)..

Think the only purpose of spacers is the styling ,nothing else...

I am sure Andy at Kudos had 60mm spacers, but that was only as he had the wide arch kit. They are just for show really, some say they ruin the handling, but I had 25/30 on my Zed and did not really notice a difference.

My only rule when it comes to spacers would be to buy the best quality ones :thumbs: I would not go over 30mm and given the choice of spacers or new rims with the correct offset's . . . rims win hands down :thumbs:

Here we go again!

The problem is people who fit them and go "omg my cars ruined" not realising that they might have put the toe out slightly. Nothing to do with the spacers...

I run 25mm and my car is planted with no issues because I had a full alignment done afterwards.

I might go to 30mm as the standard wheels are such a weak offset.

Edited by Dave-350
  • Like 1

I ran 25/30 and it was completely fine. Driftworks quality is fine by me unless anybody has ever had any issues with them? They have always been reputable as far as I know.

Obviously new wheels with the right offset is better, however I was wondering of there was any definitive sizes to avoid.

Anything that pushes the wheels out beyond the arch will just look silly I think....

Aren't spacers dangerous for the wheel chassis in the long run?! I was told this by one mechanic(no names here,but you probably guess Dave who I'm talking about)..

I think as long as you don't go crazy, I have had spacers 20/25mm on my Zed for almost all of the 40k I have done in it, yes they are for styling but they don't ruin the handling of the car in any way :thumbs:

I think as long as you don't go crazy, I have had spacers 20/25mm on my Zed for almost all of the 40k I have done in it, yes they are for styling but they don't ruin the handling of the car in any way :thumbs:

Yep,they don't ruin the handling but they put lots of force on something on the chassis,can't remember the name of those things...in the long run it can damage it and then it can couse more serious problems...well,that's the opinion of highly reputable person...

I personally love the look of car when spacers installed,but not sure if I would buy them for the reason above..

Yep,they don't ruin the handling but they put lots of force on something on the chassis,can't remember the name of those things...in the long run it can damage it and then it can couse more serious problems...well,that's the opinion of highly reputable person...

I personally love the look of car when spacers installed,but not sure if I would buy them for the reason above..

Would it not be the wheel bearings leading to premature ware?

I'm a bit of a mechanical spod though so probably not!

Yep,they don't ruin the handling but they put lots of force on something on the chassis,can't remember the name of those things...

Bearings, hubs and potentially the axle too depending on the size of the spacers. More likely to cause premature/accelerated wear rather than cause outright damage unless you're adding ridiculous size spacers.

As for the handling, you're adding unsprung weight, so they will affect handling... it might not necessarily be a noticeable difference, of course. ;)

How about bigger wider heavier wheels would they not do the same :shrug:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I expect if you track your car it could be an issue, but you would probably not run spacers then anyway.

The more rubber on the road the better in my mind.

What thats got to do with spacers I neither know nor care:)

:wacko:

How about bigger wider heavier wheels would they not do the same :shrug:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I expect if you track your car it could be an issue, but you would probably not run spacers then anyway.

I thought this too, and I don't plan on tracking the zed.

Interesting views on the topic. People warned me about using 30mm spacers saying they were too big blah blah, but now alot of others run them with no problems. I wouldn't mind trying 35mm or 40mm.

Edited by kris

• 2 weeks later...

those wheels are available in 18x10et20 and et30, and 18x9 et25 and et30

i have 18x12 et20 on the rear of my zed without any arch work at present and it is lowered with stretch with a 275 tyre. it has a similar rear stance to that with no spacers.

if those wheels have 45mm spacers on them i can only assume the wheels are not the widest and offsets not meant for wide stance. i look at the 30mm i have in stock and they are thick, and quite heavy

here is mine

350sv.jpg

These are the sizes, a bit of a stretch on both front and rear. Would have thought that the TC would have been a bit confused as well.

Pete

Rota SVN 18x10 et.30 with 245.40.18 all round...

Edited by JetSet