Wheel Sealant

SteveW

Just wondering what wheel sealants people use and recommend?

I've done some searches but 'Wheel Sealant' only returned threads about wheel refurbs and steering wheels lol.

Looking on google I've seen some threads about nanolex alloy sealant, Gtechnic C5 wheel armour, poorbous wheel sealant and FK1000P.

Thoughts, opinions and suggestions please.

Thanks

I use Poorboys Wheel Sealant and it's good stuff.

Usually apply first coat and leave for about 20mins before buffing off and the apply a second coat.

You will notice that the surface has already become a bit slippery after the first coat.

Again leave for about 15mins before buffing off.

Usually use a foam applicator to apy and a microfibre to buff off.

Plus Poorboys smells nice :D

The poorboys stuff is excellent. While the wheels were off, I left a coat on overnight before removing and then for 20min the next day. It lasted a few months! Reapplied only once over the last 6months and still seems good. Use only water and diluted car shampoo to clean the wheels inbetween and it lasts ages. Also, because it's pink, you can easily see if you've left some behind

The poorboys stuff is excellent. While the wheels were off, I left a coat on overnight before removing and then for 20min the next day. It lasted a few months! Reapplied only once over the last 6months and still seems good. Use only water and diluted car shampoo to clean the wheels inbetween and it lasts ages. Also, because it's pink, you can easily see if you've left some behind

Pretty in pink!

It depends on what you're after really. If durability is the main priority you'll want to look at the nano-sealants (Nanolex, GTechniq, Wolf's, 22PLE, etc) which can last up to a year between applications, but they tend to be considerably more expensive as a result. If cost is an issue Poorboys Wheel Sealant is very cost effective but will only last two or three months between applications.

As with paintwork, you'll get much better results (both looks and durability of the LSP) if you clay, decontaminate and cleanse/polish the wheels before applying any coating.

I don't mind re-sealing my wheels every few months so I use Poorboys, which I've found to be the best wheel wax of the numerous that I've tried - I've not tried any of the nano-sealants though.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a quick browse on detailing world regarding wheel sealant last week as mine are still boxed so easy to do

Read so many mixed reports so I'm confused. A few people said poorboys wheel sealant is overrated but it's always the first one mentioned here. Some said any decent wax would do the trick

I used to just wax my wheels everytime I waxed the car. What's peoples thoughts- a few coats of dodo juice enough?

So, I think poorboys is way over rated - I used to use it too.

Like bodywork, it is all in the prep - dirt can't stick easily to slippery wheels... but the difference is heat and hot iron / metal particles flying off brake pads.

I'd swear by a silica nano coating for wheels.

Do a full clean off them, including tar and iron X, IPA wipedown, then Gteqnic or CarPro wheel seals - do two layers once cured.

This will last for 6 months to a year and only need bodywork shampoo and a sponge to remove dirt from - worst case.

A wax will work, but their protection breaks down under such extreme heat - if you wanted to spend less money there are cheaper options like jetseal and fk1000p which are high temp sealants

So, I think poorboys is way over rated - I used to use it too.

Like bodywork, it is all in the prep - dirt can't stick easily to slippery wheels... but the difference is heat and hot iron / metal particles flying off brake pads.

I'd swear by a silica nano coating for wheels.

Do a full clean off them, including tar and iron X, IPA wipedown, then Gteqnic or CarPro wheel seals - do two layers once cured.

This will last for 6 months to a year and only need bodywork shampoo and a sponge to remove dirt from - worst case.

A wax will work, but their protection breaks down under such extreme heat - if you wanted to spend less money there are cheaper options like jetseal and fk1000p which are high temp sealants

Basically that. Although I disagree about Poorboys though - as with pretty much any detailing product though, it almost always comes down to personal preference.

Nano sealants will always out perform any wax and so will usually be the best choice for most people for that reason alone, however I personally think that Poorboys is often underrated - it's more than adequate for 3 months protection at a time, it's easy enough to use that even the most ham fisted application is easily buffed off and at that price nothing else comes close to it. Also, some (admittedly not all) nano sealants can be a bit fussy about how it's applied (at certain temperatures, etc) whereas Poorboys can be applied in pretty much any conditions. It is very good, in my opinion, for the price.

Mint Rims is a very good rival for Poorboys in terms of performance and ease of use, the only real difference for me is that Poorboys just beats it on price - albeit only by a few quid but Poorboys is roughly 25% cheaper for the same performance.

I can't really fault Mint Rims at all though (and obviously this is just my personal opinion).