Spa

Ekona

So, Spa then. Certainly a weekend of mixed feelings, and weather!

The Saturday didn't start off too well, as the forecast light snow became heavy snow and started settling as we set out for the sighting laps, so the track was quickly closed and didn't reopen fully until 11am. Essentially, it was a wasted morning but hey ho, not a lot you can do about the weather. The actual snow wasn't too bad, however the ambient temp was -2c which meant that ice had started forming in the braking zones, which clearly is somewhat dangerous. Temps never got above that all day long, and the wind chill was bitter.

I've mentioned the Impreza before, but for reference it's a 2005 STi with the PPP putting out 319bhp, and shod with OEM RE070 tyres. It also has the DCCD which lets you shift the amount of lock on the diffs rearward 70/30 or lock them 50/50, or anywhere in-between. I always drive in 70/30 mode, however given the track conditions I decided that leaving the diff mode in auto was probably the wisest course of action. Suspension is standard, and the brakes are Godspeed own brand pads and discs, with RBF600 fluid in.

There is no feeling in the world that compares with the first time you drive up Eau Rouge, not even a lap of the Ring or Hangar Straight at Silverstone. It's utterly incredible, and far steeper than it looks on TV. I guess I'll drop the video in now, terrible lines and pace from me however in my defence I would gently remind you all of the conditions ;)

As far as the rest of the circuit goes, I'm in two minds over it. From La Source to Pouhon it's terrific, but after that I found myself getting a little bored with it. That could well be because of the weather, as with little grip you cannot use the power and get the real pace from Stavelot through to the Bus Stop, but still I found it lacking a bit. The first half though is easily as interesting as anything else I've ever driven, and technical as hell though. The Impreza was flawless all day, although the tyres don't offer much grip on snow and ice so the 4WD wasn't as helpful as you might've thought. It was great fun though, and put paid to my belief that all wheel drive might be dull on track. It really isn't. Top whack was about 128mph which I only achieved the once, as after braking for that the pedal went very soft and to the floor almost, so I think the brakes need some attention if I'm to turn this into a proper trackday toy.

Sadly the day was blighted somewhat by my mate Mark, who had hired one of BaTs' Caterhams, stuffing it into the wall after Les Fagnes right in front of me. Luckily it was a very slow impact (enough to snap the steering though) and he was fine, but it did dampen the spirits in the afternoon somewhat. About 10 mins after the car came back to the garage on the back of a low-loader there was another Cat which binned it at Raidillion, and then another 15 mins after that saw another one go off somewhere else so the attrition rate was quite high for the day. Everyone was okay though, which is the main thing. A silver CLS 65 AMG was also driving somewhat excitedly and drifting through every corner, however the talent didn't match the angles and he threw it against a wall, probably writing it off looking at the damage. Due to the way he was driving, there was little sympathy for him from the paddock.

Sunday morning was fun, as the snow came down very heavily overnight and the back roads to the motorway were interesting to say the least! That did at least allow me the fun of sliding the car up the wide, abandoned roads with joy whilst the guys behind me in an S2 Elise and a 997.1 T4S were struggling :D

Would I go again? Yes, I would, but it would need to be in the summer to give myself the best chance of actually getting a dry day.

Looks immense. I always fancied myself as a driver from hours of karting as a youth, but it looks SO much more serious in a proper car. Good minerals IMHO just for getting out there with even the THREAT of ice!

I'm booked on May 27th with CAT driving training... Really looking forward to it.

It is a shame CAT choose not extend their driving training opportunities to this forum as I am quite sure there are many on here who would jump at the chance, with other members from here who value a good social opportunity along with gaining some really valuable knowledge about driving ZEDS on the limit at some great venues.

• Like 1

It is a shame CAT choose not extend their driving training opportunities to this forum as I am quite sure there are many on here who could really use the training, with other members from here who value a good social opportunity along with gaining some really valuable knowledge about driving ZEDS on the limit at some great venues.

FTFY. :stir::lol:

It is a shame CAT choose not extend their driving training opportunities to this forum as I am quite sure there are many on here who could really use the training, with other members from here who value a good social opportunity along with gaining some really valuable knowledge about driving ZEDS on the limit at some great venues.

Better start a list then

1) HaydnH :p:lol:

2) Ekona

Do CAT do driver training for buses? :lol: Saying that the bus handles about as well as my 350z did before I let it go, think the suspension needed a bit of attention, and the bus is only a few hundred kilos heavier than a Zed when empty!

Sounds like you made the best of it Dan. At least you had 4WD! Did you get any pics of you on track?

Look forward to seeing pics if you go back again.

Did you get any pics of you on track?

There's a bunch on the BaT website that I'm going to download tonight when I get home, I'll pop some up then :) There's some quite good ones on there, some decent places to stand at Spa for pics it would seem.

Shame about the conditions but it sounds like you had fun anyway. I was at Spa last year for the WEC. the Spa micro-climate certainly lived up to its name. Au Rouge is STEEP! I know they always say it's steeper than it looks on the TV but I think that is an understatement. I can only imagine the butterflies you would get flying over that crest flat out.

Needless to say I'm very jealous. I would love to go this year if I didn't have to drive the entire length of England to get to the euro tunnel - the drive through France and Belgium is very easy as I'm sure you found out.

Glad to hear your friend is OK. Stuffing it in a exposed car like a Caterham would be scary enough. But at those temps, in a foreign country and someone else's car - I'm not surprised he was a bit down afterwards.

Better start a list then

1) HaydnH :p:lol:

2) HaydnH

3) Ekona

I better do it twice. ;)

I know, I was quite impressed with that myself, didn't realise I was pushing that hard! :scare:

Yeah, the outfit needs to go really. The helmet is fine still but ageing, it's the suit that really needs to get binned as it used to fit the old me when I weighed 5st more than I do now, so it just hangs off me! :lol: Never mind that it really does look like I copied the Stig too :blush:

Done Spa on my 2 wheels rather than the Z- the weather is always a problem but at least you were dry in the Scooby! Eau Rouge on a bike is scary as the change in angle is unsettling but you seemed to be getting a good run through there which is never easy :thumbs: . Jealous- need to combine a Spa and Ring trip this year- they're only an hour apart.