S5 or RS4

P19DRO

Hi guys and gals,

The Z is getting sold soon to make way for a more sensible 4/5 seater. The only issue is I cant decide whether to get an S5 or RS4 as they are roughly about the same money second hand, both have the 4.2 V8 engine, both are quattro, the RS4 has 420 hp and the S5 has 350hp.

The only real thing that is putting me off the RS4, is that it has lamborgini front brakes that are over a thousand pounds to replace. S5 front brakes are £200 to replace and I can imagine its a bit cheaper to run.

Whats putting me off the S5 is its not an RS4 lol. Its a head to heart battle.

Need help!

Edited by P19DRO

Fuel consumption (urban) 16.3 mpg Fuel consumption (extra urban) 31 mpg Fuel consumption (combined) 23.3 mpg 0 - 62 mph 5.1 seconds Top speed 155 mph Cylinders 8 Valves 32 v Engine power 354 bhp Engine torque 324.5 lbs/ft

S5

Fuel consumption (urban) 13.7 mpg Fuel consumption (extra urban) 30.1 mpg Fuel consumption (combined) 20.9 mpg 0 - 62 mph 4.8 seconds Top speed 155 mph Cylinders 8 Valves 32 v Engine power 420 bhp Engine torque 317 lbs/ft

RS4

Fuel consumption (urban) 17.8 mpg Fuel consumption (extra urban) 33.2 mpg Fuel consumption (combined) 25.2 mpg 0 - 62 mph 4.6 seconds Top speed 155 mph Cylinders 8 Valves 32 v Engine power 420 bhp Engine torque 295 lbs/ft

M3

if you are dead set on the Audi i guess you need to make a choice how 'sensible' a 4/5 seater you want to get... the two Audi's, although on the face of it very similar, are very different cars. the S5 being the softer option. OK the RS4 will cost more to run but if its just the £800 extra in brakes thats putting you off the car think of it spread over a couple of years (time it will take to need the new brakes) for £7.60 a week you could have the harder and probaly more raw feeling RS4.....

if i was in that kind of market i would seriously consider the V8 M3....

Brakes on the RS4 aren't over a grand. 2 mins googling found replacement rotors for $500. Suspension issues are far more expensive to sort, especially if you want to stay OEM.

Which one did you prefer the drive of?

What site were you on Ekona?

Not driven either yet, Thats whats taking up my time in the next couple of weeks.

I've driven an RS4 (saloon) a few times and to be honest it kind of bored me. Didnt really feel special at all. I had a normal 53 plate S4 (4.2 V8 one) avant at the time and the interiors bar the lovely RS4 buckets and steering wheel was exactly the same. Don't get me wrong it wasn't slow by any standards but it wasn't overly exciting, not to justify an extra 10k over my S4. If it were me i'd opt for the S5, newer, cheaper to run and probably insure, plus with a Milltek fitted it will sound the just as good as an RS4!

Chris

I have just had this same decision, test drove an RS4 and v8 M3 last month and I was put off by the RS4 bucket seats and the fact it felt slow/flat below about 5K RPM? Test drive MPG was 14.2 and IMO i was not pushing the at all.

I would drive them both and see as for me the RS4 was a let down as i did love them :(

I have just had this same decision, test drove an RS4 and v8 M3 last month and I was put off by the RS4 bucket seats and the fact it felt slow/flat below about 5K RPM? Test drive MPG was 14.2 and IMO i was not pushing the at all.

I would drive them both and see as for me the RS4 was a let down as i did love them :(

Is the zed going Timbo? :(

- I driven RS4 before. Didn't really do it for me... but comfortable car with good interior.

- The v8 M3 is a very good drive and sounds brill.... but my mates one has an ESS supercharger pushing over 650bhp so could never buy one of those unless it was that one! LOL

- GT-R is amazing, but needs to be modded...

- E60 M5 is good value for money, but need to remortgage every two days to fill up.

Edited by wizard

Cheers, for the advice guys. Will hopefully be test driving one soon and can make my mind up from there.

M3's interior really puts me off.

GT-R is too much money.

Dont like the look of the M5.

Probably has to be an avant as well for .... future additions