Engines

Jetpilot

Maybe a question that has been asked before but cant seem to find the answer.

Looking my first zed, my budget will only go from standard to rev up, not hr.

However, i plan to go fi at some point, so, will the rev up have any gains in the long run? Is it worth the extra weight associated with that model? Should i be concerned about the possibility of weaker rods with the non rev up? Oil consumption on the rev up? Is the six speed box better than 5.

Views welcome :)

The non revup has a 6 speed aswell and as far as i know the difference between the revup and non revup is the lower collector on the intake manifold and a slightly different airbox. Id recomend a gt model as it has the brembo brakes aswel as more kit inside

Brembo's standard on all UK cars :)

Out of interest were does the 200lbs of extra weight come from, thats a fair chunk :)

Where did you get that info from? I can't see the rev-up weighing 90kg (~6%) more than the non?

My350z website, that weight is over the entire car, not just the engine, sorry, badly worded on my behalf! :)

Edited by Jetpilot

The HR engine is the one people recommend for FI, so it might be worth saving up a bit longer & going for one of them. I thought all manual zeds were 6 speed?

Not at all.

Some of the earlier models were 5 speed and the picture I put up on Wednesday in the "H Gate" Post had a picture of a Yanky LHD Zed with 5 forward 1 reverse:)

• Like 1

Out of interest were does the 200lbs of extra weight come from, thats a fair chunk :)

Where did you get that info from? I can't see the rev-up weighing 90kg (~6%) more than the non?

My350z website, that weight is over the entire car, not just the engine, sorry, badly worded on my behalf! :)

Im pretty sure all the zeds weigh roughly the same, regardless of which year. The only ones which weigh a lot more are the roadsters.

Im pretty sure all the zeds weigh roughly the same, regardless of which year. The only ones which weigh a lot more are the roadsters.

Apparently: Copied and pasted

03-05

Coupe:

3,188 lb (Base)

3,197 lb (Enth)

3,217 lb (Perf)

3,247 lb (Tour)

3,225 lb (Track)

Roadster:

3,428 lb (Enth)

3,462 lb (Tour) Coupe:

3,339 lb (Base)

3,346 lb (Enth)

3,400 lb (Tour)

3,404 lb (Grand)

TBD (NISMO)

06-07

Coupe:

3,339 lb (Base)

3,346 lb (Enth)

3,400 lb (Tour)

3,404 lb (Grand)

TBD (NISMO)

Roadster:

3,580 lb (Enth)

3,600 lb (Tour)

3,602 lb (Grand)

Obviously from the US so they have different trim levels, but base to base or tour to tour etc, roughly 150+ lbs difference!

Edited by Jetpilot

Whats your budget?

Get a JDM and add the bits, early engine will take 400HP if your after silly number then you will most likley have a built engine and it won't matter :thumbs:

If it is heavy just add NOS :lol:

Whats your budget?

Get a JDM and add the bits, early engine will take 400HP if your after silly number then you will most likley have a built engine and it won't matter :thumbs:

Thanks, good advice (i hope), really was wondering if i would miss the advantages of a rev up engine.

No way do i plan on going more than 400hp, been down that road many times before and 400 is absolutely enough for the road and some track fun, anything more is overkill i think, fun, but overkill :)

I realised it wasn't just the engine you were talking about... It'd have to be made of iron or lead for just the engine to be 90Kg more! :D

I'm sure those figures are correct for the American cars, but I just don't buy it for the UK spec? They are basically the same car with the same engine... Only very small changes were made like a few things in the interior. I have no evidence to the contrary, but I just can't see what would make the car so much heavier?

The hr is a stronger engine and you can get more power out it safely but the de engine can run circa 400hp safely

Great info, i have read the rev up's have stronger rods, or will this not really matter around the 400hp mark :)

Im not sure about the rods etc, hopefully someone on here knows. I read on a yank website there was a guy running over 500hp with stock fueling and internals!! probably not running anymore though :lol:

The hr is a stronger engine and you can get more power out it safely but the de engine can run circa 400hp safely

Great info, i have read the rev up's have stronger rods, or will this not really matter around the 400hp mark :)

Im not sure about the rods etc, hopefully someone on here knows. I read on a yank website there was a guy running over 500hp with stock fueling and internals!! probably not running anymore though :lol:

Rods are destroyed by torque, not HP

OP, I know of a nice ginger one for sale that someone is selling cheap ;):p

Whats your budget?

Thanks, good advice (i hope), really was wondering if i would miss the advantages of a rev up engine.

No way do i plan on going more than 400hp, been down that road many times before and 400 is absolutely enough for the road and some track fun, anything more is overkill i think, fun, but overkill :)

You will miss out on all the oil it a rev up burns :lol::stir: sorry guys

As Ian said Torque kills if you go TT you can get the figures but to do a TT properly (full advantage) you want new pistons for lower comp so change the rods.

If it's SC your gonna be around 400 and lots of guys have them on stock non rev ups without issue.

As Ian said we know a Zed in your Budget :ninja:

Rods are destroyed by torque, not HP

OP, I know of a nice ginger one for sale that someone is selling cheap ;):p

Would have to be cheap if it is ginger :) Pm me some details please.

It's more like 150 lbs difference but as of yet I've not seen a decent explanation of where that weight comes from. The interior and exterior differences are well documented but they would only add a minimal amount of weight if in fact they add anything at all. One can only imagine that Nissan did a whole shed load of modifications to the chassis as just about every other part would appear to be interchangeable. Difficult to see how you could add the weight of a person to a chassis without it being noticed but there you go :shrug: .

Pete

Whats your budget?

NOS is ok for a 30sec blow but what about the rest of the M25?

:p

We have 450 plus rear wheel HP for the rest of the run mate - The NOS is just to get the speed up quicker :lol:

Edited by Keyser