Car Wont Start - steering lock issue?

BigSlick

Update:

Picked up my car today. 1 day early so cant be bad.

Good news on arriving, Benfield Nissan offered me further discount on the £475 repair. This was a total surprise and I just cant believe how good this dealer has been with me. Even better than Honda, which is saying something since I was a customer with them for 5 years.

They reduced the charge down to £366, another £109 off!!! :D

With the £175 ill be getting from the place I bought the car means I'm only paying £191

Im over the moon.

So good to have the car back, and the steering lock control comes with 12 month warranty. Fingers crossed for no more issues.

All in all Benfield Nissan have been outstanding as far as customer care goes...

\0/ cheer!

Given that figures of £1200 for a fix were being quoted, over a grand off is a good result.

That said, the number of failures does indicate a manufacturing fault affecting a quite a few Nissan vehicles that I would have hoped they would address more generously - even if that meant taken action against the supplier so the customer was not out of pocket.

Good result in the end considering the robbing bar-stewards that are Nissan. If you really wanted to fight NMGB I dont think you'd have had a problem (he says!) getting all the money from them. Paying something admits they are wrong. Saying they wont pay for it all because the car was not serviced at a Nissan dealer is not on. They should have covered all of it and I think if you'd chosen to threaten them with legal action you may have gotten all of it, but I think I'd have paid the £200 and done a runner too. Just remember to pull the fuse in 11 months time ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My 2009 out of warranty 370z is currently at dealers with suspected steering lock fault. Did my homework as dealer was suggesting £1300 approx to fix which scared me!

In America Nissan started a recall for this fault last week which includes parts and labour. I spoke to Nissan UK who logged a case and got back to me same day which was impressive. They will cover the part and will get back to me on labour when vehicle is diagnosed.

Hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel

Also suffering from a drivers door that doesn't open from the outside which I think is unrelated but very annoying

Heard back from dealer, it is the steering lock.

They are just waiting to hear from Nissan to see how they proceed as the process is different to just ordering a part. If I do have to pay labour they reckon it will be 1 hour at £80+vat

Heard back from dealer, it is the steering lock.

They are just waiting to hear from Nissan to see how they proceed as the process is different to just ordering a part. If I do have to pay labour they reckon it will be 1 hour at £80+vat

Keep us posted so we can see if Nissan/dealers are being consistent. :thumbs:

But Nissan really ought to do a free replacement for all the affected models knowing there is a manufacturing weakness and could lead to owners being stranded.

"Relaxing" Sunday afternoon(17.3.2013)

RE: July 2010 370z.... failed to start due to the same fail module as described by other members.

AA took 4 hours to recover the car back home (17:00>21:00), 1.5 miles from breakdown??

Mon am contacted Nissan road side assistance(RAC) for support, did not want to to touch the job as it was an "AA" recovery!!

Cranked up the volume, insisted as a Nissan customer "Nissan road side assistance" was nessesary to recover my vehicle to a main dealer. 1 hour later RAC technitian arrives at home to confirm a transporter is required, 1.5 hrs later transporter arrives, 1 hour later Nissan dealer confirms zed arrives on forcourt.

I speak to the service manager Steve to review his work load as to when a prognosis and root cause can be established.... "24hrs was the reply...OK mate thats fine".

"Ho by the way Steve I require a courtesy car today in order to get to work are you delivering to my house or whats the arrangement?

"When you registered your breakdown, the RAC should have arranged the courtesy car, its thier responsibility for the first two days... didn't they do that? you need to get back intouch." (RAC claim "if dealer is with 31 miles of home, then dealer provides the courtesy car).

Anyway 3 calls later Dealer Steve rings "Ive got athe courtesy car, but not available untill 17:30".... OK mate I'll get a lift and come and collect.(seems Nissan are responsible)

Hello Nissan Micra 21 miles on the clock, never mind it'll get me to work in the morning I thought.

Steve rings Wed am "370z has a moduler failure on the steering column, just shorting the warranty paper work". Steve calls 10 mins ago: "new module part arrives tomorrow am, you can collect zed tomorrow afternoon" thanks Steve "i'll see you tomorrow mate"

Brindley Nissan Cannock seem to be doing the right thing. Steve (service manager) is doing a good job supporting his customers... so fair play, credit where its due.

How ever there does appear to be friction between Nissan & RAC regarding the courtesy car...... so thats the only gripe so far.

I'll let you know what happens tommorow, and hopefully get the intel on the failed steering column module.

Apparently different parts used in America due to their hotter climate, wasn't completely sold on that answer but as much as I tried they wouldn't budge on the labour charge. I had seen a copy of that letter you posted and mentioned it but no go.

Apparently different parts used in America due to their hotter climate, wasn't completely sold on that answer but as much as I tried they wouldn't budge on the labour charge. I had seen a copy of that letter you posted and mentioned it but no go.

That makes no sense. If the the US and UK cars both have high number of steering lock failures there is clearly a common issue and yes, rather like we end up paying high prices compared to the States, Nissan may think we will be a soft touch on this kind of issue.

Those who have followed the issue on the US forums will see that the recall came about due to a 'campaign' by 370 owners to get the result, so that should mean Nissan doing the honorable thing here, including refunding those who have already had to shell out for the repair.