The 2013 F1 Chat Thread

Beavis

I thought Pirelli mounted the tyres to the rims and not the teams. You saw at silverstone the Pirelli tyre fitting station

They do (and it was the case with Bridgestone and others before Pirelli got the contract) but its down to the teams to ensure the wheels are then fitted on the correct sides as we see when the blankets go on with the directional arrows but I doubt very much that several teams would end up 'swapping sides' with the wheels and if anyone saw an advantage doing that it would be Red Bull who didn't have the issue.......

I thought Pirelli mounted the tyres to the rims and not the teams. You saw at silverstone the Pirelli tyre fitting station

They do (and it was the case with Bridgestone and others before Pirelli got the contract) but its down to the teams to ensure the wheels are then fitted on the correct sides as we see when the blankets go on with the directional arrows but I doubt very much that several teams would end up 'swapping sides' with the wheels and if anyone saw an advantage doing that it would be Red Bull who didn't have the issue.......

Full list of drivers affected, RedBull are on the list

L8: Lewis Hamilton - left rear explosion

L10: Fernando Alonso – right rear deflation but pitted before explosion

L11: Felipe Massa – left rear explosion

L13: Sebastian Vettel – cuts to left rear but pitted before deflation

L15: Jean-Eric Vergne – left rear explosion

L29: Esteban Gutierrez – cuts that led to left front failure

L42: Nico Rosberg – left rear vibration but pitted before failure

L46: Sergio Perez – left rear explosion

but its fitting of the tyre to the rim thats the issue and not the wheel to the car. If the inner designated edge of tyre is been fitted to outer odge of the wheel ( so effectively the tyre is the wrong way round) then this is where the issue happens at pirelli.

but its fitting of the tyre to the rim thats the issue and not the wheel to the car. If the inner designated edge of tyre is been fitted to outer odge of the wheel ( so effectively the tyre is the wrong way round) then this is where the issue happens at pirelli.

The wheels can then just be mounted on opposite sides though surely?

The wheels can then just be mounted on opposite sides though surely?

Yep! Switch the wheel to the wrong side of the car and the tyre goes the wrong way round.

• 1 month later...

I very much doubt Seb had much of a say in the decision. Asked for input definitely, same as Webber, but very little weight would be behind his words. He's paid to drive, nothing more. RB want the best drivers but want to pay as little as possible, and Ricciardo certainly falls into that category.

I know seb had an agreement with Ferrari a few years ago but there's no way he'll want to swap teams with RB in the form they're in. Also Horner newey and seb all seem to be in a live triangle. Unless they lose their dominance (which may well happen next year) I can't see Vettel moving from red bull.

That said Ferrari have the two most consistently good (apart from Vettel maybe) drivers in f1s recent history. Surely they are looking good for the manufacturers championship next year. A lot revolves around whether Riciardo finds his form.

Also there maybe one team who has found a loop hole and dominates next year regardless of drivers like brawn did when Jb won. It's all speculation and i'm sure we'll all be completely wrong in the end.

Edited by CrumbMC

I wonder if Mclaren will find form next year!? Be good to see so many teams fighting for the championships

I'm sure they will return to form soon. They can't afford not too!! However I don't think they have a very good driver line up. Perez is average and JB is very good on his day but its not his day very often.

Mercedes have a huge budget and some big players In their team. I would say they are the favourites for next year performance wise. However I don't like to speculate too much. As I said in my last post there is sure to be some kind of double diffuser moment with such a big shake up in the regs.

I think the lower teams will be nowhere near the front runners next year too.

Mercedes have a huge budget and some big players In their team. I would say they are the favourites for next year performance wise.

Huge budget and big players doesn't necessarily mean results, look at McLaren over the last 20 odd years, for example, I always thought Toyota would do a lot better than they ever did considering their results in other motorsports.