Coilovers vs Lowering springs - real word ride height

D8NMT

Hi Guys,

I am just about to purchase some suspension and would like some feedback...

I've narrowed it down to either Eibach 30mm springs, or Meister R coilovers.

I want the car to run quite low, but obviously the coilovers are 3 times the price of the springs.

I've done research and seen a few people saying they felt that the 30mm drop from springs was too much, others saying it's just about right and some saying it's not low enough.

I am trying to decide whether or not the coilovers are worth the extra money in terms of ride height?

Realistically what is the lowest people run their cars on coilovers for day to day use on our roads? (Pictures are encouraged here!)

If it's only 40mm for example, then for me its not worth the extra money, whereas if 60mm is achievable, then it is.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

thanks

I run mine on BC Coilovers, she's only about 20mm lowered and you have to be REALLY careful over speedbumps - if you're lowering it to track it then go as low as you like but in the real world if you take her down 30mm plus then you'll definitely hear plenty of grinding and scraping noises. . . . .

Eibach springs have a very good ride quality and a pretty low drop. I certainly wouldn't go lower, mine does scrape every now and then.

Had tein springs before and it didn't quite lower enough for me and the ride quality was hideous.

personally i d say go for the coilovers.....that way your get the added bonus of adjustsable dampering as well as height control.run mine on the tien super street set up....has cost me a new y pipe but a small price in my eyes :D

417.jpg

oh and repairs to the v2 front bumper.

Edited by buster
  • Like 1

iv decided on coilovers because of the ability to adjust as id like the idea for 30mm but thats a lot on the Zed and could be impractical. getting on my drive could even be a challange.

Lots of people rate BC Racing coilovers too, if you havent looked at these.

I'd go coilovers for the fact you can have them super low or high and the ability to change the damping. Plus get a good set of coilovers and it will be comfortable too.

Also remember if your dropping by 30mm or more you will most likely need rear toe arms and front control arms unless you like the stance.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm around 30mm down on coilovers with EDFC I don't do speed bumps now!!! but she's not my daily

IMG_3751.jpg

Watch out for Busters lowering tips he is slammed - does this to your bumper :scare:

DSCF2714.jpg

Wife runs about 15mm lower and runs hers as a daily, has to watch curbs though!

Edited by Keyser

BC coilovers are very good and wuite popular with 350z owners here and in the states. :thumbs:

Like a few have pointed out, the lower you go the more damage you can potentially do. The good thing with coilovers is you can raise and lower the Zed as you please.

Interesting thread, I'm pondering the same at the mo.

I'll be keeping the standard rays, probably spacing the front 20mm and rears 25mm but wasn't sure about suspension. After browsing the galleries and comments here it seems a 15-20mm drop will be enough for me without compromising useability.

Thanks, Jon

I've been mulling over this for a while too, although i don't care about stance, i just want to sharpen the car up.

I've noticed that nobody who has put eibach lowering springs on has mentioned dampers.

from what i have read up about, lowing a car on springs means the dampers should be changed also otherwise they are in constant compression and they wear much faster

If this isn't true then perhaps the Bilsteins i had on my golf were a bit of a waste of $$$ (even though they were awesome)

On the BC racing coilovers (and possibly other coilovers) when the ride height is altered via the spring seat adjustment, the damper lenght must also be altered to suit.

This keeps the damper from bottoming out when the car is lowered (as the damper can be shortened).

If you are doing it for looks- a set of springs will do

If you want better performance- springs and matched dampers or a set of coilovers.

All IMO

30mm drop bc coilvers

Drive the car pretty muxh any where on roads in south africa.

Its a bit tricky in places but nothing a few angles wont sort out

yzeta2u6.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by wls350

• 4 weeks later...

We have 2 version of coilovers for the 350Z, the Zeta-S (retain the OEM inboard rear springs), and the Zeta-R (replace the rear to true coilovers design).

(I don't have the proper picture of the Zeta-S at the moment, but the picture will give an good idea of what they look like)

Zeta-S

AZ33S.jpg

Zeta-R

AZ33R.jpg

The Z33 actually have alot of adjustments due to the long damper design.

So in most cases, lowering with coilovers won't be an issue and pretty much you can find a ride height you are after.

The main difference with coilovers is along with having control over the ride height.

You also get increase damping response from the mono-tube dampers, and also damping adjustments so you can control your ride quality.

Jerrick

Hi all,

I decided on 30mm springs in the end.

Got some Apex ones and I have to say I am more than happy with them.

The ride is excellent, feels pretty much the same as standard and dropped the car exactly how I wanted it, looks great.

For anyone researching these springs in the future, here is a before and after photo

BEFORE:

standard_height_zps38a8a7a7.jpg

AFTER:

lowered_zps99b6eed0.jpg

Thanks