Steering issues

MrsNiki

Me and t'other half are having mixed ideas about the steering on the zed.

I find the steering sensitive, and driving on most roads it pulls to the left (as per the camber) and on roads that fully camber to the right, it pulls that way.

T'other half, however, doesn't think the steering centralises properly after turning a corner and naturally wants to go left, and it's not the camber.

We have another rear wheel drive car which doesn't pull to the left (although its a daft German car...) and I haven't known any other cars wanting to drive on the pavement as much as this.... I put it down to being a 'proper drivers car' and not a namby pamby easy drive car, but I may be wrong (although rare, as I'm a girl). Somebody prove me right please

:D

Yes, all checked on a very regular basis (had a blowout so always cautious!)

T'other half is more concerned about it not centralising rather than the pulling to left, but car is under Nissan warrantee at moment so if it is an issue I'll take it in :)

have you changed tyres recently??some track the road more than others so that could be it but mine rarely goes in a straight line on its own anyway so as long as its not excessive id say characteristic of car,

as for centralising after a corner ive never noticed as im the one usually doing that

Edited by jumping350

I'd get the wheel alignment checked for the sake of £30 ish. It'll give you peace of mind that all is pointing in the right direction and will surprise you how much difference a small adjustment (if needed) will make.

I'd get the wheel alignment checked for the sake of £30 ish. It'll give you peace of mind that all is pointing in the right direction and will surprise you how much difference a small adjustment (if needed) will make.

You talking nearer £100 usually.

Have you got spacers on? I know a few people who have complained about handling with them on. Personally I never had an issue with mine on, but thought I would mention it.

+1 on getting proper alignment done and the bushes checked :thumbs:

Cheers for the replies :)

I don't have spacers, so it won't be that. I will be getting a full geo alignment check done on a hunter machine, and will also get the bushes checked.

Fingers crossed it gets sorted :) I do have new wheels to go on the car with a full set of Falkens on that are all equally worn, so that'll get away from my front tyre issues of one being more worn than the other :D

Cheers again everyone :teeth:

• 2 weeks later...

Right, help needed now!!

Have got my car booked in at the Nissan dealership to get stuff checked out while its under warrantee to make sure there is no major issues before i take it to get a full geo alignment done. I want to leave a list of things for them to check, as i've had experiences with garages where they will try and fob me off! I've booked it in as needing the compression arm bushes to be checked, but what other problems would cause the steering issues i've had?

i want to make sure all avenues are checked and that they don't think i'm just a girly airhead who doesn't know one end of a car from another! (i do by the way, the shopping goes in the boot, so there.... :p )

I'll ask to get the front hub assemby checked, and one of the guys i work with (a mechanic) says it could be a snapped antiroll bar joint or something... i was trying to listen to what he was telling me but there was an unopened bar of chocolate on the desk at the same time so i lost concentration for a bit....

Anyway, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

:teeth:

If it's never had a geo, then give it one. They should be done annually, or every 6 months if you drive on extremely bad surfaces. That will not only help eliminate any mechanical issues, but make the whole car feel a lot better too.

You're not just after a standard 'get the wheels pointing in the right direction' kind of geo, you really need to take it somewhere that understands performance cars and will give you a setup based upon your own driving style.

• Like 1

Me and t'other half are having mixed ideas about the steering on the zed.

I find the steering sensitive, and driving on most roads it pulls to the left (as per the camber) and on roads that fully camber to the right, it pulls that way.

T'other half, however, doesn't think the steering centralises properly after turning a corner and naturally wants to go left, and it's not the camber.

We have another rear wheel drive car which doesn't pull to the left (although its a daft German car...) and I haven't known any other cars wanting to drive on the pavement as much as this.... I put it down to being a 'proper drivers car' and not a namby pamby easy drive car, but I may be wrong (although rare, as I'm a girl). Somebody prove me right please

:D

I'm sorry but I haven't bothered to ready any replies (Being lazy) but I have experienced this before with many cars (Normally after fitting coilovers or playing with alignment), I found it was always due to the TOE settings being out. Get it laser aligned, hope this helps!

After adding spacers or fitting coilovers (this is how I have witnessed this many times), it will throw the alignment out and this, what you're describing is normally due to the TOE not being central.

Do you have a PROTYRE near you? Or KWIK FIT will do it. (Both suck but they will do it)

Edited by Dave-350
  • Like 1

Yeah, theres a few places locally that have a hunter machine for the full alignment, so will be ringing around doing some research. As for my own driving style... hmmm, not something i might want to admit too.... haha :lol:

Doesn't need to be a Hunter machine, there's others out there equally or more capable. It's down to the person using it, and I'd go for an expert using string over a numpty using a Hunter any day.

Yeah, theres a few places locally that have a hunter machine for the full alignment, so will be ringing around doing some research. As for my own driving style... hmmm, not something i might want to admit too.... haha :lol:

Doesn't need to be a Hunter machine, there's others out there equally or more capable. It's down to the person using it, and I'd go for an expert using string over a numpty using a Hunter any day.

This +1 when I put new suspension on previous car it was aligned by hunter machine. Wasn't happy with it and took to a guy well known as being the best at suspension set up ( being doing it for over 30 years) without a fancy hunter machine and what a difference