Coolant/Water boiling in the reservoir?!

Adrian@TORQEN

Strange one tonight, stuck in traffic on A406 near Neasden in London for few good minutes and as I was moving sloooooooooooowly heard some funny noise, similar to a helicopter noise really far in the sky. Lowered the window and no sign of a helicopter, put the windows up again and noise came back. All happening in less than a minute. Then I checked the dashboard and the water gauge was on red, stopped immediately just off A406 and opened the bonnet. The coolant in the reservoir was boiling really hard and as soon as I stopped the coolant was coming off the overflow, must have been at least 500ml-1litre spilled in the road.

Being afraid that it could be the head-gasket from overheating I called RAC, didn't want to start the car again. An hour later, the guy came, add some water into the radiator directly and checked all hoses, all dry, no leaks. Started the engine, the engine held its pressure, radiators kicked in in few minutes, water level bellow half way on the temperature gauge, engine absolutely fine! Drove home for another 15 miles with no problem at all, oil level fine, coolant fine, no overheating.

The RAC guy said it could be a malfunctioning thermostat and that I should have it checked tomorrow, adding that it was very very odd.

What do you think it might have been? :wacko::surrender:

Right, had some more time today to have a look at the car and found out that one of the fans is not working, I guess this is the culprit!

What could it be? Do I need to change the fans? Could it be a sensor or a switch?

Posted from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk on iOS6

I've heard the Mishi rads are okay but the fans are not.

Edit - its either that way round or the other.

Check with Keyser as I know he's got te right setup of course ;)

Edited by Wasso

I'd go for the Mishimoto fan with shroud. I not heard any nasty stories about them. Getting them for my Sc. where did you read about this Ian?

You can get it from Mishimoto UK for 150 quid. However if you go OEM then get 2 new ones rather that replace the damaged one only. What a pain Addy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It could be the waterpumo drivebelt out of adjustment and not gripping enough to operate the water pump, a knackered thermostat, a couple of blades missing off the fan or the fan onoperative or the radiator cap not operating to the correct pressure and causing the sceeching sound. You haven't got any loose hoses anywhere have you? Best of luck with it, i hope you sort it out soon..

• 1 year later...

Replaced the fans, all ok afterwards. Try fixing them first, there is a tutorial somewhere on the forum.

I think somebody is spending far too much time on american forums again......

A "guide" to you and me :lol: