heathrow terminal 5

ewan221

What a horrible place :-( took an hour to get through security as they seem to have different rules to other UK airports. No fast food outlets (I have a hangover and want a burger) several c list celebrities walking up and down trying to be noticed and a glut of stupidly expensive shops that 90% of the passengers have no interest in .

Another reason to add to my avoid London list :-)

They have the exact same security rules as every other UK airport. It just depends on whether the person on security knows they're being watched by their superiors or are on camera as to how detailed the search goes ;)

I got put in the bad persons line because I left my kindle in bag, never had problem with that before in Glasgow, Cardiff or Bristol airports and fly though them at least once or twice a month. While in the line started to take shoes off as I know they set scanner off, but was told not to take them off unless asked, then as I was about to go through another person told me to take shoes off and go back and put through the x ray machine thing.

And yes think my hangover was not helping :-)

Given that Heathrow is constantly under scrutiny for security it can be a bit hit and miss and the sheer number of passengers sometimes makes it look disorganised. Although I never complain about security at airports, its there for a very good reason, a pain in the backside security guard's persistence could save hundreds of passengers lives one day.

The trouble I have with airport security, and working at Stansted means I deal with it several times a day, is that there is no consistency. Sometimes I have to put my yellow jacket through, sometimes not. Sometimes they want the van emptied, sometimes not. Sometimes they want to check your passes, sometimes not. It makes for a jarring experience when one minute you fly through with a bit of common sense as we only came through 5 mins ago, and then just because there is a DfT inspector standing there they want the bonnet lifted, every toolbox off and x-rayed, stripped down and shown the special glove etc.

That's extremely irritating, believe me.

Not on a basic random searching of people going airside. It should all be to the same level, but it never is.

Intel is the only really effective way to stop attacks, random searches are essentially useless and are only a minor deterrent. There was a cracking article on the subject by a chap who did the federal level security in the US just after 9/11, shame I can't find it now.

I never moan about airport security either. It is a pain in the arse but a necessity.

To be honest I think they should make the X Ray scanners mandatory, all that rubbish about an invasion of privacy or human rights is ridiculous!

Totally agree, it seems to me that blowing people up is a bit more invasive than that.