Any Knowledgeable Audio HiFi buffs out there

rtbiscuit

i just have a sony blueray that cost about £100 a couple of years ago, has lan connection for extra features, plays discs well. went for sony disc reader after seeing how good the disc player was in the PS2. would play discs that were scratched that other plays just threw errors on.

very happy with its performance

Import... yes to you, no to me ;)

Budget - not really that concerned, but dont want to spend bucket loads on a player. Already getting a Denon AVR and some new Kef's B)

You should read this first.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/blu-ray-players/denon-dbo2012ud-finally-going-back

It is good sense to keep the same brand if what your buying is good stuff, if you listen to cd's too I would seriously consider Marantz, they had a long time away but have produced a few good players recently.

i just have a sony blueray that cost about £100 a couple of years ago, has lan connection for extra features, plays discs well. went for sony disc reader after seeing how good the disc player was in the PS2. would play discs that were scratched that other plays just threw errors on.

very happy with its performance

I hate to use the hifi terms but in this case it fits, the sony's are very "musical" ie when playing music dvds, cd's they are good performers, no doubt about it.

Yea Marantz is very good for music, my folks have a full set up and it does sound good.

I only have about 60 CD's now..... burned them all to MP3 and sold the rest before I left the UK. I certainly want the same brand for AV and BluRay/DVD. I have always had Denon Amps, and can't fault them.

Maybe its time I tried something else...... Just been looking at some of the Yamaha stuff B)

yamaha is where i would put my cash if i had more to spend. the RX V673 looks very impressive. has all the latest kit and looks like good figures and it was what hifi's winner this year.

I have got my last 3 setups from Richer Sounds, wouldn't go anywhere else.

Yeah, I got my stuff from there too in 2006. Previous setup lasted me a long time as I got my speakers in 1978 and my amp and turntable in 1980. I was pretty impressed with Richer Sounds actually, the only problem we had was matching a turntable as my entire music library is on vinyl. It would seem that they're not in great demand these days :blush: .

Pete

I have got my last 3 setups from Richer Sounds, wouldn't go anywhere else.

Yeah, I got my stuff from there too in 2006. Previous setup lasted me a long time as I got my speakers in 1978 and my amp and turntable in 1980. I was pretty impressed with Richer Sounds actually, the only problem we had was matching a turntable as my entire music library is on vinyl. It would seem that they're not in great demand these days :blush: .

Pete

Pete, vinyl is so in demand. There is nothing can compare to vinyl played on the right system, but it would also depend on whether it's Pink Floyd or Des O'connor :) No offence to Des fans

I miss my Rega Planar 2, I bought in 1986 I think when I was 17 and it cost something rediculous like £200 then.... everyone laughed because I had to take the glass turntable off and move the belt to go from 45 to 33 rpm when they all had 'automatic' switches on their record players.... but when I actually put a record on and played it through my Marantz Amp with my Tannoy speakers they were blown away :cloud9:

I had an SL1210, a mate "found a pair" so I bought one off him. Not that I had much vinyl. Sounded good though.

He sold his one and got a Pink Triangle (I think that's what it was called) ....... That was an epic turntable

Pink Triangle are epic, I remember back, way back when I was heavily into surround, there was the best of the best in HiFi Choice or something. £27,000 for a Pink Triangle, ok it was the top of the range, but it was beautiful.

Oh topcop your link to your French property is broken?

Amp wise, I'm going to leave Yamaha and move into Onkyo. I only change my equipment every 15 years lol. I think I'll be going for the TX-NR 818.

Amp wise, I'm going to leave Yamaha and move into Onkyo. I only change my equipment every 15 years lol. I think I'll be going for the TX-NR 818.

now he sells up after i've just bought my kit :lol:

If you wanted my amp I wouldn't bother as its old has no 'current age' tech and the led screen has become very dim. If its because I'm moving away from Yamaha it's only because I want something next stage up. I'd have Yamaha again anytime, but I'd be boring to stay and not experience a new sound with Onkyo.

Onkyo have been going well for some years now, just make sure there is plenty of ventilation around it coz boy oh boy they get hot, great amps.

Oh I've done my research for many years on AV receivers. I was aware they can get very warm shall we say, which is great because the heating in our house isn't that great and me and the other half with our cat can huddle round the amp to stay warm :lol:

Have a browse on this sight http://www.teufelaud....keyword.teufel, you can budget to suit and not your usual Sony etc stuff.

I've got one of their systems with a sub that would sink Trident!!

They're very good at explaining stuff and are happy to converse on line. Their listings will also let you factor in your room size.

This is a similar set up to what I've got http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/home-cinema/columa-300-r-set-l-p5890.html

Edited by The G Man

They do everything for hifi/home cinema, the system in the link is an integrated av amp, has 2 x optical connections so takes care of Blu Ray/PVR combo very nicely. I looked at quite a few options including Onkyo when I upgraded, but took the chance on Teufel. The build and finish quality is superb.

One thing I would say though is whatever system you choose, make sure the ancils are top notch, especially the speaker cable, can make or break a system :)

i shall find out what i'm working with this evening when i go pick it all up

I'm sure your love it!! Will be much better than the TVs own speakers....just a warning before you go splashing out on stupidly overpriced cable (speaker or HDMI) have a read of this.....http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths

I have some decent floor standers (Mordaunt-Short THX 502) which came with some "free" Oxygen Free Cables which retail for about £5-6/m!!! Out of interest I hooked up the speakers to some standard HiFi cables which cost about £1.5/m.....nor me or the wife couldn't tell any difference between the two set ups...I'm sure for some super audiophiles they can hear a difference but for me spending money on expensive cables is just a waste of money.

nor me or the wife couldn't tell any difference between the two set ups...I'm sure for some super audiophiles they can hear a difference

Nail on the head :bangin: They can. One lead does not make much of a difference, but all of them including the speaker cable does. :)