Which Clutch?

Hannahbtw

Apologies if this has been covered a million times before, but I did have a brief look and couldn't find the answer for my particular age of car!

Been told my clutch is on its way out :(

Something to do with a "thrust bearing"...and it's making a weird chattering noise on idle (when I don't push the pedal down, goes away when I do!).

The car is a late 2007 registered 313...that's the HR engine I'm led to believe.

So what do I need to buy?

If I buy a clutch kit does it include everything I need or is there additional stuff that has to be replaced at the same time? It's all double-Dutch to me, like "thrust bearings" "dual mass flywheels" wtf?

Just need to know that what I buy is correct and not for an older model of Zed...

Realise that I'm gonna have to pay extra for a garage to fit it, but am budgeting for that too.

Any help appreciated...

Thanks guys :)

Hannah x

Mines not always but sometimes makes that noise and it goes away when the clutch is depressed... clutch seems fine though to me :shrug:

Is it slipping etc? When your doin a quick manouver like, reversing and then quickly putting the clutch back in to go to first it can make a kinda clattery sound. Tried one before this and sounded the same. Dunno if its normal but the clutch seems to work alright for me. Any other more experienced older Z'ders want to shed any light?? The clutch/gearbox seems heavy duty mechanical feel, might be slightly concerning to someone not used it...eg..me in my previous car but meh...

Not slipping, no...and the guy in the garage that I took it to couldn't get it to slip either...but he checked it all, and said that the thrust bearing was on its way out. Like I said, meant nothing to me, but the garage advised that I looked at getting a new clutch sooner rather than later. They said that if I went off and got one they would fit it...bout 2 hours labour according to him.

I just don't know what I'm meant to be buying though, lol!

Hannah x

If it still works, keep using it lol My old car was fairly new when the clutch needed replaced due to the bearing thing, but you'll know as the clutch will more than likely feel wierd and the revs might fly about as you change gear. As I said I get the noise thing too on occasion, but works. Give yourself time to save up and don't replace it until you KNOW it needs done. :thumbs:

I'm just scared of it going and then being stuck without the use of the car (the Zed is my daily and need it to get to work! Lol!)

Stuff going wrong with cars petrifies me, and u always seem to pick the ones that lots of stuff goes wrong with...typical :)

Thanks so much for your replies, folks...I've PM'd ZMANALEX and will see what he can come up with for me to get this sorted in December.

Hannah x

I know what you mean, the Zed's my daily driver too... still would be good to hear back from some more experienced 313r's to see if they get those noises too though, maybe settle your mind a bit lol. Right enough it is a Saturday at 11:35pm... I've been out today already, quiet one tonight...I promise I have friends haha :lol: good luck Hannah!

Transmission can be fairly noisy at idle in neutral, it's a common 'non' issue. So I would suggest a second opinion before you commit to any work, especially as there are no other symptoms at the moment. Mileage may give some indication if you know whether the clutch has been replaced before, although driving style (yours, or a previous owner) can have a big effect on this, so not an exact science.

General consensus suggests replacing the flywheel at the same time as the clutch if you do have to go down that road to avoid similar expense in the future. Good luck.

• Like 1

My Zeds mileage reads in miles, not kilometres...and he's done just over 59000 miles, I'm guessing its on the original clutch :)

No idea of the previous owners driving style, but I've always driven fairly conscientiously and don't coast, leave my foot on the pedal etc etc :)

The clutch does feel a tad heavy but always has (since I got him) and the biting point is high (too high really and I often forget and stall, lmao!).

Should I take the Zed to Nissan to get a second opinion on the clutch or just bite the bullet and get it done? It's a nightmare being a girl with a half -decent car, as no matter where u go you just seem to get taken for a ride (no pun intended!) or ripped off.

Hannah x

Don't bother about the chattering on idle if it's not very loud and the transmission works without making other problems. If there are no strange noises or behaviour from transmission when you drive, it should be ok.

Many can confirm it is a common sound of the Z that you will have to get used to. I read all that could be found on the net about this. Mine does it too, 2009 HR with only 20000 km. I even took it to the Nissan shop to be sure and they said is nothing wrong with the transmission. They gave me a signed technical inspection paper stating that it is common functioning noise and everything works within parameters. The Z transmission is loud, that's a fact and you can do nothing about this. You can also hear a sort of clunk sometimes when you step on the clutch in first or second gear at certain RPM and speed.

People who changed from dual mass flywheel to single mass reported that the transmission noise is even higher...

So if the clutch is not slipping i would not put a great deal of money in it for "just in case" reasons.

And a worn thrust bearing should make noise WHEN THE CLUTCH IS ENGAGED not at idle. The only bearing that could make noise at idle is the one of the main gearbox axle, but should also make noise when you drive as it is always spinning.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about it too much, mines an earlier car but I had an Exedy racing clutch (pink box) fitted as the old one was beginning to get judder. I still hear some noise when the pedal isn't depressed even with the new one. So long as there's no judder or slipping I'd just keep an eye on it. :)

Hannah, if you can get to someone like ZMANALEX or another trusted zed owner then its worth them taking a look. I took mine to Alex who got a right good look over it after i bought it and i left feeling loads more confident about driving it :D Mine needs a new clutch, but at least i know i have a few miles left in it (until after christmas fingers crossed!). I never had any interest in cars and what goes on under the bonnet until i got the zed... and its been a steep learning curve so far!! wikipedia is ace... can speak to the lads at work about dual mass flywheels now and sound like i know what i'm talking about haha :lol: