cam chain change,

dazzer-b

hi all,

i have a 2003 jdm, done nearly 60000 miles, its making a rattley noise on startup for about 3 seconds, my mechanic thinks it could be the cam chain tensioner, but it apparently has 3, and to do them all could mean the job becoming quite large and might aswell do the cam chain aswell, has anyone had the chain done and remembers the price roughly, just so i can prepare myself.

lots of peoplesay its normal its just the engine, but im pretty sure if you bought a brand new 350z and you went to drive out of the show room and it made that noise you would give it straight back, its a bit embarrassing having a nice car and when someone walks past looking at you funny as if to say ''your car sounds a bit f**ked

cheers

hi all,

i have a 2003 jdm, done nearly 60000 miles, its making a rattley noise on startup for about 3 seconds, my mechanic thinks it could be the cam chain tensioner, but it apparently has 3, and to do them all could mean the job becoming quite large and might aswell do the cam chain aswell, has anyone had the chain done and remembers the price roughly, just so i can prepare myself.

lots of peoplesay its normal its just the engine, but im pretty sure if you bought a brand new 350z and you went to drive out of the show room and it made that noise you would give it straight back, its a bit embarrassing having a nice car and when someone walks past looking at you funny as if to say ''your car sounds a bit f**ked

cheers

I'd be more likely saying how have you bought a brand new 350z when they went out of production in 2009!

How rattly is rattly? Could you get a vid of the sound up? Might be normal

Hmmmmm that sound more like shitty oil like alex said. Surely if the tensioners it would happen all the time.

All might not be lost bud!

Alex never said it was crap oil just change the thickness of it :p

Where did I put the snoring smiley?

The VQ35DE motor tends to rattle for a few seconds on start up from cold.

The rattle is usually from the timing chain area.

In laymans' terms, the chain tensioners are hydraulic and the oil tends to drain from them overnight leaving the chains slightly loose.

Once the motor is started the oil pressure activates the tensioner within a few seconds and the chains retighten.

Alex :)

never heard of a zed needing anything chain related playing with.

if it gives you an idea of price i have literally about 2 weeks ago done the timing chain tensioners, chains and guide runners on my V8. parts were independent so not jag prices and they were around £350 for the parts alone. then the labour was another £600 roughly. all in the job is the best part of £1000 worth of work. and i would think most f the owrk is the same on the zed.

but being that they shouldn;t need doing on the zed anyway, thats £1000 you just saved.

£1000?????? jesus, think i'll put up with it, you say VQ35DE tends to rattle on startup, so your saying if you bought a brand new 350z (if they were still being made, to stop any sarky comments) and it made that noise when you 1st picked it up, and the chap in the show room said, ''its just that engine'' you'd accept it and drive away?

put up a video of the noise it makes, will make life alot easier for us to diagnose.

maybe a thinner oil might improve the speed at which the pressure is activated in the tensioners.

are their any mods in the engine bay? i know some have had carbon airboxes that fit badly, and the lid rattled against the bonnet.

£1000?????? jesus, think i'll put up with it, you say VQ35DE tends to rattle on startup, so your saying if you bought a brand new 350z (if they were still being made, to stop any sarky comments) and it made that noise when you 1st picked it up, and the chap in the show room said, ''its just that engine'' you'd accept it and drive away?

No.....if it made THAT noise i wouldnt have bought the car because it sounds shagged :thumbs:

Back to the dealer

so i understand what your saying on post #11 but do you think changing the oil will cure it, i currently use 5w-30 castrol i think, i think ive had an oil change and it still make the same noise but i dont think it was for a different thickness, so i know fresh oil wont make a difference.

ive got a few flat spots when accelerating so taking it to a local garage in marlow where they have a rolling road, so will get him to take a look at it.

Fresh oil will only help it there is an issue with your current oil or if the oil is low.

The flat spots may be related to the VVT which is also chain driven and controled by the solenoids and sensors.

Pull the VVT front covers and lock up the VVT and see if that makes any difference.

Alex: :)