Private Number plate yes or no

Toad

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a fan of private plates. You don't have to be a snob to have one. Or a knob for that matter. But I think they really set a nice car off especially with a short plate. My zed didn't look half as good when I took the plate off and the skyline looks a million times better with the plate on

A good plate should be clever or quirky, one that makes you smile or nod with approval when you read it. Some good ones come up in DVLA auctions

Initials are boring :lol: but they still look better than a standard plate

Load of threads about this already on here so its worth having a search.

If its just your initials on a plate then most people dont even realise its a "private plate". So if you have like C5 AHD people just assume its a C reg car.

If you have a plate which reads something funny or interesting without spending hours mis shaping letters, adding "full stops" or bits of tape and very dodgy spacing then I think its good and worth having. However, the "better" looking the plate the more expensive it is.

Ive a few private plates ranging from £250 up to over a grand. Havent got one on my car atm as its a 61 plate car, so I dont feel the need to try and "hide" its age.

Personally unless you have money to burn i think you`d be better off spending the cash on performance mods.

If it takes more that a couple of seconds to work out = fail

Mine is N17 (Spurs postcode) FTW (For The Win or F@@@ The World)

Using your logic there, that would have been an epic fail for me as ive absolutely no idea what N17 FTW means. In fact I wouldnt even realise it was a "private plate". I would have probably have puzzled over it a little as thats a 1996 (ish) number plate which is older than a zed, so I would have scratched my brain for a bit then given up on it and maybe just assumed it was your initials.

Isn't FTW What The F**K backwards? So SMD dont like N17?

:stir:

I want my brother's number plate when he sells his M3. Means nothing unless you're Indian, as it translates to "King". Worth a hell of a lot more than the car so dunno if it'd be stupid to put it on a zed. Needs to go on a fezza, lambo or Bugatti to make it worth the use. But it would be very very cool to have!

i would love a private plate, only want my initals, seen some cheaper ones which have 3 digits before the initials RJT but i really want just a 2 digit, pre initals. i did find F11 RJT and the 11 are natuarlly closer than any other 2 digits so it almost looks like 1 letter. but its £700 odd quid and i can think of other things i'd rather spend my cash on. i'd really love RJT 1 (single digit of any kind) but your looking at into the thousands for that.

for me it has to mean something to me, and something i can keep and transfer onto what ever i buy in the future.

no point buying car specific if you sell your cars often, just seems a waste of cash. although speak to ricey i think he sepnt a small fortune putting plates on retention when he keeps swapping every 6 months lol

I'm with the majority, if it's trying to spell something that you can't clearly make it it looks a bit stupid. However, if it's actually personal to you, i.e. you or a loved ones initials then I think it's a good addition. I got EC05 ZZZ for £250 and I'm quite happy, it's my initials and the obvious Z connection.

I used to believe there were only two reasons why people spent money on a private plate

1) to hide the age of the car from the neighbours

2) if a name plate like say TOM .... Then they were sad people who should get out more often.

BUT now I believe there's a third reason

3) and that is it adds something to certain cars typically sports cars.

Still believe item 1) & more so item 2) but if its a sports car then it's ok

I used to believe there were only two reasons why people spent money on a private plate

1) to hide the age of the car from the neighbours

2) if a name plate like say TOM .... Then they were sad people who should get out more often.

BUT now I believe there's a third reason

3) and that is it adds something to certain cars typically sports cars.

Still believe item 1) & more so item 2) but if its a sports car then it's ok

:lol:

It can also make the car more appealing to a certain type when it comes sale time, my plate read C5UPE which is easily read as Coupe, which the Zed is. Pretty sure that helped it get noticed on the for sale sites. Its a luxury yes, it is a recession yes, but there will always be people out there with plenty of money who like to buy this sort of thing.

There's not many things you can buy that put a wee smile on your face every time you look at it- for the rest of your life. And you can always sell it whenever you want, sometimes at a profit if it's a good plate

So I see it as a good investment