Goodwood FOS

Aliensurfer

Guys,

I'm looking at heading to the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year. I've never been before and would be interested to hear from anyone how has and their thoughts. Also, at £57 entry plus another £44 for the Grandstand tickets is it worth the money? (Especially for the additional Grandstand entry and not sure exactly what that'll give us)

Cheers,

Matt

Id say no to the Grandstand,but without a doubt worth going! You just have to see the pictures that people post on the forum to know its a mecca for car nuts. Its really busy,and dont try to do all of it in one day,you just wont. If you go for a day,check out everything that you want to see,and dont worry about what you dont as you will have a brilliant time anyway.

Up to you how you play it,but food and drink there is expensive,so maybe take a packed lunch,but take your wallet anyway,as there are tons of stools and stands there to spend your money. Watch your speed when you get about 30-40 minutes away too,as there are always police with speed guns dotted around the place. Its a great place to go and im sure you will have a great time.

I'd say yes, you have to go at least once. You have a couple of options depending on your finances and time off etc. You could go on the Saturday which leaves the Sunday free to do normal at home weekend stuff. Saturday is fairly busy but if you get there early you should be ok to see all the cool stuff and then meander around the rest of it for the afternoon. As others have said, you will struggle to do everything, a few musts are as follows for me:

1) See if you can get near the hill climb start, great to see the cars / bikes launching off!

2) The pits, make sure you have a wander around the pits area, its amazing to get so close to the cars (and drivers, designers, team owners etc)

3) Try and see the off roading / rallying near the top of the hill climb if you can, great action up there although its a bit of a walk!

4) The Super Car paddock, some drool inducing vehicles to be seen

5) Pimms tent, rude not to, but no driving afterwards of course! :)

If you can stretch to it I would do the Friday and the Saturday, I know its two days but the Friday is much quiter and you get a great chance to look around, leaving you to concentrate on the hill action / pits on Saturday. The Sunday is great as its the hill climb final day but it can get manic on Sunday, so just bear that in mind.

We stayed at a a litle place called East Lavant and actually walked to the FoS on the Saturday / Sunday and got taxi's back, about £6 I think. Best thing about the FoS is walking around and seeing everything, that's the fun of it. We had grandstand tickets one year and to be fair it did give a great view of the action, we saw a lot more from there but I wouldn't say it's essential.

Food and drink wise we've taken a cool bag, some rolls, dips, couple of beers, wine and stuff. Make sure you take water though if the weather is really good you'll need it.

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1

Been to the FOS a few time, its great B)

+1 on Bockaaarck's advice

As other have said I would not bother with the grandstands, there is so much to see and you can get a good view from the standing areas.

The first time I want was the best, my sisters ex hubby was Murray Walkers bodyguard so not only did we get in for free, we had access ALL areas. Murray was a really nice bloke :thumbs: Had lunch with JB... well on the same table. And I bumped in to Barry Sheene ... literally "Ooops sorry mate".

The funniest was walking out of the drivers area with two bodyguards, and a few in the crowd muttering "who's he, is he a racing driver" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think one of the coolest things we saw last time whilst wandering around (and there were so many others) was Horacio Pagani driving and a brand spanking, new out of the box, Huayra around the grounds of Goodwood House and then manouvering and reversing it on to a special stand, it was so cool.

I think that was after watching Ken Block do some crazy ass stunts in his car on the hill climb in front of Goodwood House, or was that after bumping in to Paddy Hopkirk and having a great chat about his wonderful mini drives and the fesitval. Or was it just before we were stood in the pits when the FI cars were coming back in to the paddock and Marc Gene letting the clutch out on the the Ferrari in front of us so he could whip the ass end round to get it lined up for the Ferrari pit area (left my ears ringing for about an hour !).

Oh well, I can't quite remember, as you can tell its actually quite boring and you'll probably hate it and wouldn't enjoy all the sights, sounds, cars, girls (ahem) excuses to buy bits for your car to clean it, make it look / go faster, a glass of bubbly etc........ ;):lol::yahoo:

Went a few years ago. Went for the three days. Had a great time. Must do it once in your life as has been said previously. Make sure your overnight accomadation is booked well in advance.

A big + 1 on the accommodation front, get that organised asap if you're going to say over.

• 2 months later...