Anyone else upgraded to Win 8Pro

rtbiscuit

So i had a quick look online and the upgrade fee if you are already on windows was £25 so i thought for that price, what the hell.

so far i've been pleasantly suprised. it takes a bit of getting used to where everything is, but its not bad. and it seems to have solved my boot up issues.

i have to say i like it.

well for 25 quid it turned my not so original copy of win7 into a very original win8 which no longer seems to blue screen on me. i had a very original win vista but the computer was having issues, so a friend gave me the win 7 which was alot better. but glad to be back to original again.

my computer has/had a BIOS issue, i managed to eventually find the bios update, but i'm not 100% sure its right. so i chickened out of doing it. and just put up with the odd crash and restart. but since 8 has gone on it seems far more stable than before.

• 2 months later...

Anymore zedders reviews on this - likely t be far more rewarding to read than the general 'tinternet reviews of "great" / "awfull" etc

I am using the old style desktop whoch is part of windows 8, the actual 'new' tablet type desktop is ok, some apps are ok some are total crap....

It is much quicker and reliable than previous builds which is the main thing, boots up and shuts down very quick :thumbs:

Amanda has it on her new laptop I got her for xmas. First thing she has learnt is "Ctrl-D" to get to the old desktop. Second thing she learnt it to put shortcuts on the desktop for everything she needs. The new start screen is now redundant as she goes straight to desktop! :lol:

Trying to find old settings such as control panel is infuriating :rant:

Had a new laptop for the office arrive with it on. For a corporate environment its absolutely horrible. The amount of time it would take for users to get used to the new desktop would be ridiculous. I dont envy the IT departments of large corporates rolling this out. The lost worktime from staff as they wade through trying to find things would cost a fortune.

First thing I did after trying it for a while was format the HDD and stick windows 7 pro back on. If only it was as easy as that though with the way Win 8 ties itself into bios and not allowing "legacy" software to be installed.

I would be surprised if Microsoft didnt deploy a "business" edition which has the daft tablet oriented stuff removed and a standard start bar installed.

• Like 1

Anymore zedders reviews on this - likely t be far more rewarding to read than the general 'tinternet reviews of "great" / "awfull" etc

I am using the old style desktop whoch is part of windows 8, the actual 'new' tablet type desktop is ok, some apps are ok some are total crap....

It is much quicker and reliable than previous builds which is the main thing, boots up and shuts down very quick :thumbs:

better than win 7 ?

past history of microsoft (without fail) has been good - bad - good - bad etc etc