A weekend in Germany . . .

ianphampton

Had a very entertaining weekend in Germany, you'll guess where . . Ferry from Hull to Rotterdam, and it's only about 4 hours drive to the Nurburgring from there, especially on unlimited motorways.

Just a passing comment - because the Germans all have good lane discipline, so go back into the inner lane after overtaking, there's less hold ups even on 2 lane motorways, than the stupid morons you get in the UK hogging the middle lane. (Ahem.. Rant over :rant: )

Anyway, lovey run down, weather was fantastic and the Eifel countryside ablaze with autumn colours, nice hotel, then. . . 2:30 on Friday, they opened the 'Ring for 'tourist rides'.

I got in one gentle lap just feeling how the track was - got back and - it was closed! Took them over an hour to clear away the ruins of 2 bikes, no idea what happened to the riders, but the waiting queue just backed up, so when I got on again around 4pm the traffic was horrendous and the driving was not such fun. Then they closed it again for about 40 mins while they swept up a Golf. . . I let the traffic clear a bit but had my best round at about 6pm, but even then there was a section yellow flagged and about 3 cars off to one side.

You're not supposed to take cameras so I was cautious and didn't film any of these, but decided to get there early (before the crush) on Saturday, and as this was my last lap (bought 4 laps for 95 Euro) I thought - "What can they do to me, but throw me off" so clipped the camera up after passing the start.

It's not a great lap, and if you watch the video you'll see another section yellow flagged where a bright yellow Ferrari has spun off (I couldn't turn the camera but the car hasn't got anything in front of the front wheels!)

All in all, great weekend. Now for the really sad bit, after talking about Nurburgring . . . drove back in one go, filled up at Aachen, then to Calais and tunnel home. Through Germany, all at about 95mph, then into Holland drop to 85 (130kph) and down to 80 in France (120kph) and over 417 miles I got 31.29 mpg. Obviously there just wasn't the accelleration / decelleration as it was high speed running, but still, I was impressed.

The car ran like a dream, the whole way, only issue at all was the smell of hot brakes on the ring!

I'd recommend it to anyone - but do try for an early circuit to avoid the traffic on the ring.