tyres?

Chan267

How are you finding the VREDs? You're right though at £854 (plus £12 delivery with Camskill) the PSS are good value if they ever have any stock in. Add another £40 for fitting and it's still a reasonable price. I think my RE040's (standards) are getting low now and maybe tram lining, so sooner rather than later they will have to go.

I certainly hope your 370 does not have RE040's on :scare: :scare: :scare: :scare: (one for each corner!)

I have found the Vreds very good - good feedback, got rid of the tramlining - only issue is tyre wear but I blame my right foot for that :blush:

I would not entertain the new vorti's until I heard good reviews coming in from other high performance users.

Im only down to just over 2.5mm on the outer edge on my passenger side front, thats it. The rest of that tyre and the other 3 tyres are all around 4-5mm.

If I understand correctly, the tyre has to be over 1.6mm over 75% of the width, so if that 2mm drops below 1.6mm its not illegal as over 75% of the tyre is well over the limit, am i correct?

Not that I want to be messing about with the only part of the car that touches the road, but I'd like to wait until Camksill get stock on the MPSS if I can, legally of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I have just had fitted all round on my 370Z GT Falkens 453's front and rear all the correct oem sizes for 19's Rays forged magnisuim alloys After driving arround now for about a month they have very good grip in the wet not as noisy as the bridgestones excellent cornering at speed grip is miles better than my old 350z running on 452's . Tramlining is less apparent and I have also noticed my traction control is less blinking under a spirited driving also when the bridgestones were cold on full lock turns they juddered but now with my new 453's AVENSIS this is alot better hope this helps you guys out thinking of new tyres for there z's

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry dumb question but is it okay to have different brands front & rear ? I am thinking of putting MPSS on the front. Back (and front) are currently RE050A

IMO Yes you will be ok. but change to same when rears need changed.

Other members will say you will die and your car will burst into flames on the way to the tyre fitting station.

• Like 1

Ultimately, it is your decision.

They are both good tyres, so its not like your putting budget tyres on one axle but bare in mind it will handle/grip differently to what your used to.

Putting new MPSS on the front and leaving partially worn RE050As on the rear will make your car more likely to oversteer (rear end breaking loose) then your current set up, so if you do go for it, be prepared for the change.

Read Dan's (Ekona) sticky thead for more info, it is very good and will help you understand.

FYI - I have run mixed tyres for 3 years on my 442bhp Zed without issue. HOWEVER, I know that my front NEXEN are poor compared to the rear RE050A and drive accordingly.

When the time comes to change I will be matching tyres all round.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I would rather do all 4 at once but the rears are still quite new. If mixing was a massive risk to health, I think there would probably be rules about it or at least a lot of publicity*. Anyway I will avoid mixing, settle for getting 2 more RE050's while stocks last, then hope all 4 run out at once.

* and a fleet of euro bureaucrats writing 4000 page reports.

Only thing I can add to this and it's on a slightly different car, is that I have Falken 452s up front and Cooper Zeons on the rear, without any issues. My Z32 is around 400bhp (ish, getting dyno'd next Thursday to hopefully go higher and get a figure) and has turbos, so has a sudden burst of power, rather than a controlled curve of increased power like an NA engine. Tyre choice always really comes down to personal preference. I had 452s all round, until I had a blow out on one of the rears, then swapped to the coopers in an emergency, but found them so good, I've stuck with them. Many say the Coopers are crap, but I've found them excellent in ALL weathers.

On my work car, which spends most of it's time flying up the motorway, I run Continentals all round. Had PS2s all round until a nail ended the life of one of my rears and I sadly discovered PS2s no longer existed, so had to buy a pair of PS3s, even though the remaining PS2 still have tonnes of tread on it after only a few thousand miles.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Sam, I read the sticky. Mixing is worse than not mixing.

The rears are at 5mm of tread, fronts barely legal. MOT in 2 weeks.

If avoid mixing this time by getting 2 x re050as in the front, the problem will just happen again when the rears run out. I will have to mix sooner or later, or toss perfectly good tyres away which would make the penguins sad. Any suggestions of what to mix with RE050as, so as to have as few fireballs as possible ? Not the MPSS they are a summer tyre.

In fairness mixing isn't necessarily bad on a RWD car anyway, as tyres that handle having power put directly through them, may not handle changing direction at speed all that well. Personally, I've had no issues with the Falken 452s I have on the front, they grip very well in corners, even at high speeds and even in the wet, but I think they're phasing out the 452s and are now hard to get hold of? There's little point trying to match your front and rears, what you need to do, is match the tyre to the job it's doing. I just paid £360 fitted and balanced for a pair of Conti PS3s in 255 35 18 on the beemer and the PS2s which I have on the front are also very grippy in the corners. I'd recommend just buying something that isn't made in China, costs more than £150 per tyre and is a recognised brand, you can't really go wrong at that.

Thanks for the link Sam, I read the sticky. Mixing is worse than not mixing.

The rears are at 5mm of tread, fronts barely legal. MOT in 2 weeks.

If avoid mixing this time by getting 2 x re050as in the front, the problem will just happen again when the rears run out. I will have to mix sooner or later, or toss perfectly good tyres away which would make the penguins sad. Any suggestions of what to mix with RE050as, so as to have as few fireballs as possible ? Not the MPSS they are a summer tyre.

MPSS will still have more grip in the winter than most tyres except specific winter tyres tbh