tyres?

Chan267

I have been reading on the us the370z forum posts about tyres they been using over there and the bridgestone RE11 is highly rated, has anyone got them on their car or had any experience with them? What tyres has everyone been using and their reviews?

Looking to replace my tyres in the next few months

thanks

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/5174-tyre-guide-post-your-tyre-review-here/

have a browse through that thread; pretty much answers all questions you have asked or are about to ask.

short version of it is:

for ultimate grip for the car r888's are the daddy but its a track tyre and only come sin 40 profile

so next best step is michelin pilot sports preferabbly the PS2 but the new PSS are very good. or something like the bridgestone re050a's or goodyear eagle f1 assymetrics. but the down side is they are at the costly end of the scale.

so if you don;t want to sink a grand into tyres the aim is to get the best grip and performance/value for money.

at this point it gets down to personal preferences and everyone seems to have their own ideas but general consensus is:

falken 452's

toyo t1r's

vredestein ultrac sessantas

kuhmo ku31

these are what are deemed as the minimal tyre point, anything under this price bracket is deemed ditchfinder hedge missile.

bear in mind the falken toyo and vreds are all being phased out and replaced.

so the short answer is anything as cheap as a toyo up to something like the michelin PSS and anything in between.

thanks for the link which was really helpul.

I have narrowed it down to the following so will decide when its time to change them:

Falkens fk453 (had the fk452s and perform good in all conditions)

Goodyear eagle f1 (had them and again performance was good overall)

michelin pss

You have the 19" wheels on your 370? Just clarifying you don't have the base model with 18" wheels noting the advice above ;)

I would check availability/price as the options above come from use with the 350's and 18" wheels.

i.e. I changed from Stones to Sessantas (which cured tramlining issues I had found), and been very pleased with the grip/performance levels and at the time they were nearly half the price of the PSS. Also, the 245/40 profile in the PPS was not available. Sadly the Vredestein have dropped the Sesstanas and I'm not convinced its replacement will be as good - rather like the PS3's were inferior to the PS2's by all accounts .

Will be interested to hear what you decide. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it will either be the michelin pilot super sports or the vredestein ultrac sessanta, I have ruled out the toyos, falkens and hankook V12 for certain reasons and based on recent reviews online and from my friends who have them fitted to their cars.

Intertesting....My 370GT also needs new boots soon & i'm looking to move away from the roadnoise of the Stones.

Are you sticking to the same spec as the OEM? ie 275/35 R19 (front) & 245/40 R19 (rear)

I'm guessing a set of Michelin Pilot SS will be over 1k. What price have you found the Sessanta's to be?

Marco

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally decided to buy a full set of michelin pilot super sports to replace the rather useless bridgestones which were even worse when the temperature dropped. The tyres took forever to heat up and were constantly a nightmare as the car wanted to slide around roundabouts with very little effort plus the tyre noise was alot louder than the MPSS i have now.

The grip in the dry is amazing and in the wet it is very good which gives me plently of confidence in them. Recently here, the temperatures have dropped to around minus one so far and I have no issues in getting about without the car wanting to slide due to lack of traction from the tyres.

My friend whose got a 2011 m3 has the MPSS on his car for the past 12k miles and he highly rates them, he will be getting them again after his current set needs replacing. He also mentioned he did three track days on themlast year and he was very happy with the feedback and grip offered by the MPSS.

So anyone looking to replace their tyres in the near future, I highly recommend the michelin pilot super sports :thumbs:

• Like 2

I will probably need new tyres next year. Does anyone have any views on ATS as a supplier/ fitter? I've been really careful to keep my repainted rims in good condition so I'm keen to find a fitter that won't damage them. There's an ATS nearby but not sure whether they are a good choice?

ATS trashed my wheels, the idiot who did it used a screwdriver to gouge the weights off the wheels leaving nice scrape marks. Also marked the rims puttinge tyres on. This was 5years ago, in Kettering..never been back. They did cough up to have them put right.

Edited by philb1965

I tend to view the big brands as individuals, rather than a chain. Your local one might be okay, unlike Phil's above.

I use my local JustTyres, because the guys in there are excellent and I trust them to work on any of my cars.

I tend to view the big brands as individuals, rather than a chain. Your local one might be okay, unlike Phil's above.

I use my local JustTyres, because the guys in there are excellent and I trust them to work on any of my cars.

Makes sense - I will see if I can find some reviews of the ATS local to me. I'll also take photos of the rims etc before I drop the car off.

• 1 month later...

Michelen Pilot Super Sports are £854 for all four on Camskill (when they have stock)

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta are £996 for all four on Camskill and they have stock.

However, My tyres have totally the opposite prices

VREDs Fronts 194 Rear 224 = £836

Michelen Pilot Super Sports - Front - 241 each Rear 296 = £1074

I'm coming upto 10,000 miles now tyres need replacing, but I don't welcome shelling out over a grand when you include fitting.

Edited by Badger

A set of MPSS (19") at £854 is a great price - they have certainly come down in recent times - maybe a winter thing and I'm tempted to snap a set up for that money, for when I do need them. Have to keep an eye on their stock. ;)

How are you finding the VREDs? You're right though at £854 (plus £12 delivery with Camskill) the PSS are good value if they ever have any stock in. Add another £40 for fitting and it's still a reasonable price. I think my RE040's (standards) are getting low now and maybe tram lining, so sooner rather than later they will have to go.