Scream if you want to go faster!

evilscorp

Jeeze that looks a pig of a job to do. :surrender:

Fair play for attempting it yourself and it does look pretty good from here. ;)

Thanks mate, I think it should turn out ok with the rest of the door trim parts i've been messing about with, shame I am back at work tomorrow so won't get to play again for a while :dry:

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought a cheap dismantled engine no idea what was up with it until it arrived.

Fortunately the damage isn't bad, one valve had a chunk break off and do a bit of damage to the head but should skim off and the cylinder wall has a small scratch which will 0.02" bore out with the new pistons. The upper oil pan also has a small piece broken off which will need welded back on.

Cleaned up the heads to check the valve seat of the damaged one and thankfully it looks ok (need to remove the valve to have a proper look but need to order the tools) This means I can keep standard size valves and save some machine work.

I will be hitting these with the dremel when I get a chance to remove the casting marks and clean things up.

This guy rules.

IMAG1243_zpslzgmb59z.jpg

IMAG1254_zpsrfvnzrz6.jpg

IMAG1256_zpslkqgqwro.jpg

The better head.

IMAG1255_zpsfzbdac5z.jpg

Some of the lifters/buckets fell out but no biggie as they will all need regaped for the new springs and maybe valves (if I can justify/afford them).

IMAG1253_zpsscotes2e.jpg

Intakes are cleanish but I will remove the casting marks down the side and polish the longer runner radius.

IMAG1247_zpsty6xufbj.jpg

These are manky however,

IMAG1246_zpske99ni2c.jpg

The broken valve has plenty fragments and grime to clean up on the exhaust side.

Off to night shift so might have a go at this tomorrow. Ran out of contact cement for the alcantara door as I had to start again on the second one as I wasn't happy :dry:

Also the bodywork still needs attention asap as the builder showed up to say he will start the garage build soon...... heard that before :rant:

Some really nice work. I don't envy you with the engine stripdown though.

Where did you source your alcantara fabric from?

I'm interested in covering my two dash panels.

It was A German eBay add, I have been told there is material that is just as good and a lot cheaper, need to have a hunt through my emails.

All I can remember is the add saying it's stamped with the words alcantara on one corner,

So I started to clean the bust head.... bought some gunk, a brush and a bucket that was too small :blush: good start.

Then I though how am I going to dispose of the stuff after? So I moved from my dads garage to my cramped one which has a broken sink that will be knocked down soon hopefully anyway.

So my face mask snapped and the weather was crap and the battery was flat on Poison so probably a bad idea but mehh its my only day off for a while.

Managed to remove these studs but the intake ones were stuck solid so I left them on for now.

IMAG1281_zpsxgxx8vmh.jpg

Took this guy off. Something to do with VTC probably.

IMAG1282_zpsveqya6vq.jpg

Clean workstation

IMAG1285_zpshows50rd.jpg

No photos of the application as this stuff is nasty and I didn't want to touch anything with the gloves.

After it got a good rinse with some warm water.

IMAG1284_zps6qvzyxnm.jpg

Should have removed the valve buckets and springs, stem seals etc... :yawn: but this was more of a test.

Dried the head using some old towels, wish I had some compressed air :surrender: would have been a lot quicker!

IMAG1286_zpswvossefd.jpg

Need to give the other chambers some more tlc

IMAG1287_zps4nqykthr.jpg

IMAG1288_zpsrwdrioab.jpg

Cleanish and dirty head. I had to leave it upside down so the valve seats don't rust as I can't make sure the valves are 100% dry.

IMAG1289_zpsrkehtpnb.jpg

Another photo dump :yuck:

IMAG1296_zpshzvkisl0.jpg

IMAG1297_zpsitycmgxx.jpg

IMAG1298_zpswg1dorel.jpg

IMAG1302_zpsrxguclr9.jpg

IMAG1303_zpsrqymzixf.jpg

IMAG1305_zpspjyxeomf.jpg

IMAG1307_zpsmvqzn1fg.jpg

Started removing the casting marks on the intakes, removing valves tomorrow.

IMAG1308_zpszm7klte7.jpg

IMAG1309_zpsnbcvlqug.jpg

IMAG1310_zpswbvxogrr.jpg

After cleaning the jaggy casting marks which needlessly trap oil/ have a chance of coming off (unlikely on a high mileage engine.)

IMAG1312_zpsndenizas.jpg

IMAG1314_zps3qkhzwkk.jpg

Photobucket is playing up, probably bored of my photos, The exhaust side will be done tomorrow.

Excited about sitting on a stool slowly grinding metal on my birthday :lol: SAD!

Valve removal on my birthday :D new tools yey!

a wee jolt was needed with a brush handle and hammer to free the keepers.

need to give the valve seats a good clean to see if they can be saved or if they need a 3 or 5 angle job to get them usable.

Those exhaust ports :scare: YUK!

IMAG1315_zps8yrux0en.jpg

IMAG1316_zps0qkejlan.jpg

IMAG1317_zpsnsb9uwbc.jpg

wouldn't budge with the magnet so a little rotate with a screw driver in the hole to free it up.

IMAG1319_zpsqkvtijqk.jpg

IMAG1321_zps4btoqfkq.jpg

IMAG1322_zpsspnwidxz.jpg

IMAG1323_zpsk1qksvqf.jpg

IMAG1324_zpsg2a8zbhf.jpg

IMAG1327_zpsd4advagm.jpg

IMAG1328_zpspmxlxtat.jpg

IMAG1329_zpspvriahxc.jpg

IMAG1330_zpsl96yissz.jpg

IMAG1331_zpsoglnry95.jpg

IMAG1332_zpsowqroamt.jpg

IMAG1333_zpstldvbu23.jpg

IMAG1334_zpsbahgyyrm.jpg

IMAG1335_zpsoqwavzhq.jpg

• Like 2

Chime in if I have missed anything I need to order to get these heads ready.

Torque plate looking at CCA racing one.

Valve stem seals = supertech

Valve guides = ferrea or supertech

one oem exhaust valve (need to clean the rest to see if they have any marks)

3 or 5 angle job on the valve seats (probably to give a good seal)

Slight skim of block deck and a big skim from the heads.

Cometic 97 or 98mm bore and 0.051" (depends how much comes off the head) thick HR head gaskets.

A good clean!

So this got a little bit more expensive :blush:

After thinking and doing my research I believe the valve broke due to detonation and it burnt the valve.... no doubt the rest of the exhaust valves experienced very high temperatures as well so rather than reuse them I have just pi**ed away a small fortune again on @*!# I probably don't need and no one will see :lol:

Bought the full ferrea valve setup off TORQEN as their prices are some of the cheapest around and the service is always great.

Intake + exhaust valves, dual springs, spring seats, titanium retainers, keepers, valve stem seals and bronze valve guides.

So no point in all the hassle of keeping the old stuff in order :headhurt:

Always handy to have spare for the next N/A high rev build.... well I now have a spare set of BC valve springs+shims :surrender:

A bit of bowl work on the intakes and some cleaning/slight polishing of the combustion chambers. Also removing some casting marks from the other head.

IMAG1342_zps3rqkc2i5.jpg

IMAG1343_zpsz9pi4zw0.jpg

IMAG1344_zpsbbqxsokn.jpg

The burnt valve has melted around the valve guide, tried sanding it out but wouldnt budge so need to have a go with a small pick or something.

IMAG1345_zps9jbipe6e.jpg

IMAG1346_zpswckq0qaz.jpg

IMAG1347_zpsxiucve1v.jpg

blueprinting the block before the work is done so I can check tolerances.

IMAG1348_zps1lj0ulqy.jpg

The results threw me so I decided to be more in depth.

IMAG1349_zpslod88hgl.jpg

IMAG1350_zpsxrxmebq6.jpg

IMAG1351_zpsddga8szc.jpg

need to shave this for the HR gaskets.

IMAG1354_zps8fv5gkkv.jpg

battery was dead so no checking head thickness today. :dry:

IMAG1357_zpsel4tee9g.jpg

other heads lifters/buckets/whatever.

IMAG1358_zpsjqdueaty.jpg

IMAG1359_zpstt5i6eze.jpg

IMAG1360_zpsswega9kg.jpg

IMAG1361_zpskm9gnbrl.jpg

IMAG1364_zpsbd7yyfdu.jpg

IMAG1366_zpsikeeug9p.jpg

I need to get a set of machinist gauges to calibrate the bore gauge tool. As I think I must have used the 0.5mm spacer with the 95mm tool.Nope just checked it was correct so the bores have reduced by 0.5mm from factory specs?? Lucky the rebore will be to 96.088mm with a hone of 0.02mm hopefully so they need to bore to 96.068.

Yep just checked need to get a gauge to calibrate it properly, something about initial spring pressure on the gauge probably so need to take a reading from a known source.... pooo! Just wasted 45mins of my time.

Edited by evilscorp

That's because its never on the road :lol: moved back to largs area also, so less likely to be buzzing about the motorways.

Where abouts in glasgow are you from?

Stay out bishopbriggs way was just surprised I'd never seen it.

• 4 weeks later...

New cylinder head arrived the other day from ZMANALEX so started polishing that to match the other head, just doing the exhaust ports and combustion chambers, the inlets will just have the casting marks removed, to my surprise the head had less casting imperfections to remove which saved time. Sadly the upper sump Alex sent got damaged in post so he is sending me out a new one :D

Also had this box of goodies arrive from Z1.

IMAG1409_zpsnw5mfxkx.jpg

IMAG1406_zpsfb5pnbvd.jpg

Still have many hours left on the heads, really time consuming but finding it therapeutic.