Modifications that can be done on a budget?

oasisniall

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here with a few suggestions.

Im looking to start modifying my 350z and I was looking to get some advice on modifications you can do for little or no cash. I am looking into getting the air filter, exhaust and suspension done in the future but sometimes the little things just make the difference.

So if anybody has any ideas or suggestions I would like to hear them no matter how small.

Cheers.

Just save your money and do the filter/exhaust/suspension etc etc.

There aren't really any "free" modifications.

Cheapest one I suppose is changing the aerial to a stubby (Redline Styling supply them).

I kind of thought that would end up being the sensible thing to do. Its better to spend the money on the things that count I suppose. Im fairly new to modifying cars so I would be up to any suggestions as to what filter, exhaust and suspension would be the best to fit. I have had a good look through other posts on here but there is that much to choose from you end up getting more undecisive the more you read.

I would go with your original idea, stick a few quid aside and have some fun. The great thing about the Zed is that although exhausts and the like are quite expensive, there is lots you can do otherwise in the meantime, the standard exhaust isnt that bad in any case.

I put together my own engine bay bolt set off ebay for £25 (although I ended up getting a full set off Tarmac), stubby aerial, buy some vinyl wrap and have a go at a few bits on the interior like the door grabs, centre console, rear strut brace (as suggested above) etc. Gear knob is pretty cheap and I would really recommend changing the handbrake for something a bit chunkier it will make a big difference to the look and feel when driving. I also found that refurbing the leather seats makes a BIG difference to the interior, there is a trader on here (4RE I think hes called) who can provide some leather treatment stuff to bring the seats back up to standard. Maybe some new foot well mats? One of the most fun things I did was buy some wet n dry, some primer and some red paint and have a go at the plastic bits in the engine bay, total cost about £20 and makes a massive visual difference.

Hope thats given you some ideas. Exhausts and the like are great but you already have a fairly competent one, unless its rotting away which some do...unless you got a decent budget have fun with some of the small stuff in the meantime :thumbs:

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here with a few suggestions.

Im looking to start modifying my 350z and I was looking to get some advice on modifications you can do for little or no cash. I am looking into getting the air filter, exhaust and suspension done in the future but sometimes the little things just make the difference.

So if anybody has any ideas or suggestions I would like to hear them no matter how small.

Cheers.

A good service with plugs is a nice refresh.

Pulleys are cheap and can be done when changing the belts. You could also remove the idler pulley. Stubby and or bose hack or the tape that goes in and lets you plug an mp3 player in. A free suspension check could be worthwhile and see what needs attention?

Id say the lowest your going to be able to do performance mods for is like 200 or so, i.e. hfc / air intake etc

If its cosmetics your looking at, do a bit of spraying or vinyl with the interior such as dash, rear strut bar etc.

My first mod was a verticle stand for in the dash hole thingy, so when i have the phone on as a satnav, i can just lean it there instead of sticking it on the windows. Ebay for like £5 and works fantastic

Change all bulbs for white led eg side lights, number plate bulbs, boot light, dome interior light, chrome indicator bulbs. Stubby aerial is a must to get rid of the standard telegraph pole! Changing speakers can be cheap especially if you sell the stock ones it's prettying a trade off and you get better ones a member done it on here somewhere. Pop chargers are fairly cheap especially of u get one second hand off a forum member and adds nice grunt to car. Few ideas there...

Could always start with some carbon wrap for the strut brace cover and door pillar trims,I did mine, makes a difference and thats less than £30 with some left over?

DSCF1049.jpg

I like the look of this, especially since the original in my car is a little scuffed. Where did you get it? Is it easy enough to fit?

I like the look of this, especially since the original in my car is a little scuffed. Where did you get it? Is it easy enough to fit?

Its just vinyl wrap, you can buy some from rtbiscuit, easy to do yourself :) get any colour you want, ive done mine green. 20-30quid with loads left over

I got mine off Ebay, 3M Di Noc, as said less than £30, did my pillar trims and cover with a fair bit left, quite easy to do just a case of removing the trim :)

• 4 weeks later...

Bulb changes across the car can make a big difference I've found (I'm still yet to do some though! lol).

But as others have said - vinyl wrapping bits like the strut bar, and the driver/passenger door handles are nice features - mine were both scratched to hell so I had to do it :)

Haven't seen your car & there plenty of great suggestions on here, but it depends on what you want from the car. My vote would be with G's give if a. Good detail, including wheel arches, cills, calipers & exhaust tips, it will make the car look a bit fresher whilst you save to go FI ;)

Then it's not likely to get cleaned to often