oil level

formatzero

After buying my zed thought oil pressure was a bit low,put it straight into garage for service,when they drained the oil there was only 1.5litres approx in it.Previous owner must have run it like this.Will there be any damage to the engine with this little in it,cheers

Bloody hell! I hope that's it took 1.5 litres to top up and not 1.5 litres in it if not pretty sure engine will be damaged in some way.

Oil starvation is not good for the bearings, timing chain, bores, crank pretty much everything... Hope all turns out ok

Big question is what caused oil to be so low. Leak or is the car burning it?

Well guy,s thanks for the responses,mechanic showed me the amount of oil drained out,these guy,s have done all my servicing in the past,and no it wasn,t 1.5 to top up that was what came out.Car is a 57plate one owner with 18.5k miles.Oil pressure was reading at first line on gauge around 30 i guess when running at 60mph,i had no idea what it should have been reading,and no oil light on.I know i should have dipped it before completing the sale but took the guy at face value.There were no noises at all from the engine and pressure is much higher now,but going by your comments i may have to trade it,cheers

From memory its 5 litres from empty to top up with oil.

at 1.5 litres it would be just under the min mark at a guess or just on it. if thats the case you may well be ok.

what you want to monitor is from now over the next 1000 miles how much oil the car uses. if its only about 1 litre per 1000 miles i wouldn't be too worried as some cars do burn oil. if its using more than that i'd be looking into why.

if it is using oil i'd also try a thicker oil and see if that stems it over the next thousand miles.

at 1.5 litres it would be just under the min mark at a guess or just on it. if thats the case you may well be ok.

Min to max is 1L, so with just 1.5L in there he would've been a good 2.5L under the min mark. Unlikely to have even registered on the dipstick full stop that low.

what you want to monitor is from now over the next 1000 miles how much oil the car uses. if its only about 1 litre per 1000 miles i wouldn't be too worried as some cars do burn oil. if its using more than that i'd be looking into why.

if it is using oil i'd also try a thicker oil and see if that stems it over the next thousand miles.

4.7 litres to be exact :thumbs:

4.7 litres to be exact :thumbs:

and it's 1.5 litres between max and min marks :thumbs:

ETA I would trade any Zed that's using 1ltr/1000 miles :thumbdown::surrender:

That's very very low! will have caused some wear. I would have the oil changed and a flush put through in another 500 miles. Then keep track of oil weekly to see if your using oil :thumbs:

I have seen loads of VQ engines crap themselves due to low oil now :thumbdown: