Why would it be worth less

Gts-tom

I'm looking at buying a Zed and have seen one for sale for a very good price and the sort of spec that I'm after. Advert seems very honest and it has been reported on HPI as stolen recovered (mentioned in the advert). There is no accident damage or any other nasties but why would this affect the price and its desireability, I also question whether its worth buying because of resale issues afterwards and it does put me off because of the previous history.

i've seen people off here drive their cars like they stole it, probably worse than a crim has driven it :lol:

check it out. have a look and see what its like.

I wouldn't rule a cat D out or even a C, its normally just means its a repair that would have been done if the car was newer but due to reslae value its un economical to repair.

you could have the same accident in the same car one when its brand new and one when its 6 years old. identical damage etc. the new car would be repaired and you'd never know. could even be driivng one now without realsiing it. the car thats 6 years old is written off for the same damage and is now a cat D. only difference is you now know about the damage.

if the repair work is good its no reason to discount a car. just make sure you pay the right price for it taking into account others will hesitate after you when you come to sell. but if the price is right it shouldn't put people off.

But you'll probably find due to the nature of the Zed most of them have been shown a hard time at points in their life or there would be no point in owning one, would just go and buy a Boxter to pose in!

Yes but thats not quite the same as some crackpipe chasing smack rat spreading his aidsy little mitts all over the car whilst smashing it over kerbs and other general twatteridge.

But you'll probably find due to the nature of the Zed most of them have been shown a hard time at points in their life or there would be no point in owning one, would just go and buy a Boxter to pose in!

Yes but thats not quite the same as some crackpipe chasing smack rat spreading his aidsy little mitts all over the car whilst smashing it over kerbs and other general twatteridge.

I'll remember that while I'm test driving it.

i've seen people off here drive their cars like they stole it, probably worse than a crim has driven it :lol:

check it out. have a look and see what its like.

I wouldn't rule a cat D out or even a C, its normally just means its a repair that would have been done if the car was newer but due to reslae value its un economical to repair.

you could have the same accident in the same car one when its brand new and one when its 6 years old. identical damage etc. the new car would be repaired and you'd never know. could even be driivng one now without realsiing it. the car thats 6 years old is written off for the same damage and is now a cat D. only difference is you now know about the damage.

if the repair work is good its no reason to discount a car. just make sure you pay the right price for it taking into account others will hesitate after you when you come to sell. but if the price is right it shouldn't put people off.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Surely the insurance would cover it or write it off then?

Surely the insurance would cover it or write it off then?

Why because there are sack rat germs and it been thrashed over kerbs and the like? Doubt it personally.

as more and more insurance companies move to writing cars off rather than fix them (it works out cheaper it seems) there will be an increase in cat D's etc.

i think alot of people are hung up on the stigma of Cat D's from years ago. most are very good these days. you just need to check it out before buying.

as more and more insurance companies move to writing cars off rather than fix them (it works out cheaper it seems) there will be an increase in cat D's etc.

i think alot of people are hung up on the stigma of Cat D's from years ago. most are very good these days. you just need to check it out before buying.

Surely that is the problem, a larger percentage of people will be hung up on the stigma than not and therefore it will the value of the car AND will appeal to a much decreased audience. If you're not concerned by this then check it out. Good luck with it :)

but there are people out there who buy them, insurance companies do insure them,

the stigma sadly comes from dodgy repairs 30 odd years ago.

a cat D wouldn't be my first choice, but i usually find my budget is normally more than adequate for a car. but i have several times considered ones,

And therein lies the problem for me, I can remember 30 years ago, I'm obviously too old :lol::thumbdown:

Judging by some of your music collection :wheelchair:

:lol::lol::lol:

Stolen / recovered means exactly what it says just as likely it was taken and stored somewhere than it was thrashed about...... as RT said I have been on many drives and seen some real abuse :blackeye:

Is it not the same with anything like this though? Why is an import worth less than a UK model........not really any proper explanation other than it just 'is'.

Maybe it was owned by the Jap Stig or maybe it was wiped with a diaper for the first 5 years of its life.

Maybe a car was stolen by a smack rat, thrashed, smashed into kerbs, filled with normal unleaded (the horror!) or maybe it was stolen by a professional car theif parked in a heated garage whilst waiting for George Adedguengo to come and pick it up.

One doesn't know so it leaves an element of uncertainty.........therefore its worth less.

Problem is if you apply these theories to normal UK car's you'd never buy a car again because lets face it if Zeds are in the price range where scrotters and 19 year olds can afford them then anything can happen........not to mention the people who are rich enough to own one and not give a @*!# so they thrash the balls off it and couldn't care less.

In summary..........its worth less just 'because'. Provided you payless and expect to sell for less who cares.

Is it not the same with anything like this though? Why is an import worth less than a UK model........not really any proper explanation other than it just 'is'.

One word; insurance. As with an import, generally speaking it'll cost more to insure a cat. C or cat. D car over a straight, UK car. The "worth" of such cars are therefore offset to make that car more appealing to buyers.

If I had the option to buy one of two identical cars, one a straight, UK and one an import/cat. c/cat. d, all else being equal. The UK car is going to cost £300 to insure and the other £400, I would always choose the UK car. If the latter car is cheaper though, it then becomes more appealing.

Stolen/Recovered often means a certain amount of damage. When my RS Turbo was stolen at 21.00 and recovered the next day at 07:30, 30 miles away there was about £1200 worth of damage, lock was forced with a screwdriver which was hammered into the lock, creasing the door somewhat.... steering lock was snapped and the whole column had to be replaced together with all the locks. However, the problem is that if the insurance have paid out and its been recovered later then it could have been stored in a garage or it could have hooned around for a few weeks on false plates :shrug:

Pete