Tyres..... Tyres...... Tyres

drfeelgood73

Hi guys

After waiting what seemed to be a lifetime to get back from offshore to pick up my new lover, I eventually got behind the wheel to have a good blast around.

This car is absolutely amazing and just don't want to stop driving her..... Any excuse to get out and go for a spin now, a quick 10 minute pick up from the shop is an easy 30/40 minute excuse for a ride around.

Now that I have had a good few days to get used to her I have started to notice a few things with the handling which I think may be tyre related.

When I got her the owner said they had put two new tyres on the back end, and from going through the history and receipts automatically thought they matched the front bridgestones...

Stupidly not checking.... I was so amazed at the good condition of the car elsewhere that I just ASSUMED.......

It turns out the rear end now has WANLI 1063-S tyres.......

I was surprised at how twitchy the back end has been at relatively low speed with traction kicking in quite regular.... I expected it for a while till I got used to the car, but this is not right....

It also feels at higher speed that the back end is floating and dancing around..... In a straight line with no side wind.... And I am talking sub 100 here..... My Alhambra feels better ....

I have started playing with the tyre pressures, started at 31 on the bridgestones which is working superb , front end grip is amazing.....

On the rear I started with 35, am now down to 31 and very little difference.....Although it is fun with these tyres, there is no real feel with them, and it seems hit or miss on the the traction....

A lot of people will be putting it down to amateur driving which I don't deny, but I have raced karts in the past and have some minimal knowledge of rear wheel.....

Anybody had these tyres before, should I give them a while longer, sorely tempted to get rid and match the front..

Any thoughts appreciated....

I know exactly what your dealing with. I had KU31 Kumho's all round on mine and the road holding was good as was the handling but after having the car serviced and MOTed I needed new rears, not wanting to spend a fortune on tyres because I want to get some new wheels. Well since having Nexen N6000 fitted the grip is reduce by a considerable amount, traction light kicking in on corners where the Worn Kumho's would not let go, switchy in a straight line, turn in increased but due to the rear sliding earlier than before and a general lack of confidence in entering corners, the only bonus is that now I am looking much harder at new wheels as I want my Roxy but to how she was.

I must disagree with the others on here - everyone knows that Wanli's are the tyre of choice for most high powered BMW, Porsche and Audi drivers - i hear they're getting a good rep with Lamborghini guys as well such is their levels of grip and wet and dry traction.

in terms of tyre rating i'd say Falken, Toyo, Continental, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Michelin, WANLI!!! :#1:

:dry:

It's the RE040's on the front........Had her out for another spin this morning for a few hours, thought i would give them a good run and get some heat in them as its dry with a bit of sun just now.......

They were ok on the windy bits sub 60..... as soon as you want to do a bit more, twitchy as f**k......Tried running them at 29psi which certainly helped at the lower speed, but still the same when the fun pedal is used a bit more....... I have now put 800 plus miles on them myself and they were on the car for at least 2 months before i got onto them.....

Think i will just go get some 40's on the back to match the fronts as the fronts are like new......

Thanks for the feedback guys

Hi Neil,

Yes i understand about the tyre pressures, started off with 35 cold on the back, didnt want to go harder than that.......Just started playing around to try and find a hopeful medium...

Anyway,

Have got a set of 19's which i am looking at getting some pilots on........ As the winter is fast approaching and by the time i get back from offshore agin, will be well and truly here, will just get a set og 40's on the back end to do the winter.....

Get onto camskill.com and buy a full set of falken fk452's for about 450quid delivered. They may be less than that as sometimes they're on offer. 225.45.18 and 245.45.18. Very good speed and load ratings and once they're run in they're fantastic for the money and tread wear is really good. Can't go wrong. You might pay 1k for the bridgestones and they'll be worn out in half the time. Effective costing you 4x as much for no real noticeable gain on grip. Read some reviews etc.

And no I don't work for falken. :p

Hi Neil,

Yes i understand about the tyre pressures, started off with 35 cold on the back, didnt want to go harder than that.......Just started playing around to try and find a hopeful medium...

Anyway,

Have got a set of 19's which i am looking at getting some pilots on........ As the winter is fast approaching and by the time i get back from offshore agin, will be well and truly here, will just get a set og 40's on the back end to do the winter.....

As it sounds like these tyres are just required on a temporary basis, why not get some part worns on for the time being. Will be far better than your Wanli's!

Try http://www.thetreadshop.co.uk/

no point playing with tyre pressures, won't help. at the end of the day those rear tyres are made from the scraps of an eleastic band factory. they are crap. changing pressures on them is like polishing a turd. how ever hard you try its still a turd.

no point playing with tyre pressures, won't help. at the end of the day those rear tyres are made from the scraps of an eleastic band factory. they are crap. changing pressures on them is like polishing a turd. how ever hard you try its still a turd.

Haha! Brilliant! +1

Do people really rate the 452's?

I had them on my old Golf because they stretch well but offer very little grip in anything but bone dry conditions imo.

Wouldn't a winter tyre be the better option,then new wheels/tyres in spring?

I had them on my old Golf because they stretch well but offer very little grip in anything but bone dry conditions imo.

Absolutely. If the wheels are only on for the winter, a winter tyre would be the way to go. :thumbs:

Its been covered many times before that there are mixed opinions on the 452s. I am another hater and think they are absolutely sheite in the wet and in cold conditions. However, they are probably slightly better than Wanli and 040s.

I don't think people "really rate" 452's, they do however think they're an excellent tyre for the money. I doubt anyone believes they're as good as MPSSs, AD08s or even the standard RE050s, but for the money they're a good tyre.

I don't think people "really rate" 452's, they do however think they're an excellent tyre for the money. I doubt anyone believes they're as good as MPSSs, AD08s or even the standard RE050s, but for the money they're a good tyre.

Indeed, I mean I run them, but as I don't really track the Zed and it's my daily driver, the midrange 452's work well for me.

Did take the Zed to the Ring in the summer and I did loose traction at some corners after having gone two laps already.

I guess this is where the premium or track tyres come into their own, since they are designed for purpose.

I'd also like to add that the 452's were rubbish in the winter for me, hence me switching to winter rubber in the colder months

Did you try running the 452's in the right sizes to see if made any difference? :stir:

;)