Project Plastidip

jumping350

After much hard thinking and a couple of test pieces today, ive come to the conclusion im rubbish at wrapping!

So in a bid to be different im going to plastidip the whole car white (two tone with black/carbon fibre) im doing this for few reasons

1.im bored with silver now

2.if i **** it up, can peel it off again

3.having used the stuff loads am quite confident it will go ok

4.i want a white 350z

Some may hate some may like but guess we will never find out till someone tries :shrug:

im not going to do the whole car at once as i dont have that much time to invest, so week by week bit by bit the whole car will get done (and if it starts not looking good can stop and rethink plan)

Tommorow i start on the window pillar bits will upload pics as i go along

I'm assuming you've thought through the implications of spraying your car in something that's designed to peel off?

Kudos for having the stones to try something different, and white is definitely the way to go, but I'm finding it hard to see how this can end well, lol.

Prove me wrong :thumbs:

DB

theres a wax you put on the car before you spray acts as a protector between the paint and original car colour and makes peeling much easier..plenty of coats and is not as peelable until a hole goes through it...this is based on having my front splitter and wheels plastidipped for a year both are fine and have more stonechips on my front bumper and none on the splitter at all (they just bounce of it)

Havent really got the funds to get it wrapped by pro at the moment until find out how secure my job is after funding reviews etc

may well do but i done a few bits on the car already and no one is none the wiser until i tell them and it will be gloss too, ive seen it done on a few cars including a R35 GTR (in yellow)

i love it when people say 'just stump up the cash' (have you seen my bank balance :lol: )

everyone has there way of doing things this is mine if it works great if not then no one will try this one again :lol:

may well do but i done a few bits on the car already and no one is none the wiser until i tell them and it will be gloss too, ive seen it done on a few cars including a R35 GTR (in yellow)

i love it when people say 'just stump up the cash' (have you seen my bank balance :lol: )

everyone has there way of doing things this is mine if it works great if not then no one will try this one again :lol:

Fair play :thumbs: I say do it, and hope this works out B) looking forward to your progress :D

im not sure what people mean by ending badly??

It means their cup is always half empty :lol::lol::lol:

I just think that as you have already said that you don't have the cash to get it wrapped professionally, I would think twice before doing something that has the potential to require professional correction if it goes wrong. My main concern is that bodyshops use sprayguns for a reason, and I think you'll struggle to get an even finish over such a large area with rattlecans. I would assume you can't colour sand this stuff?

DB

this stuff strpay like a matte finish. even coats are achievable on a large area but it takes skill for an even coat.

you can buy this by the quart and spray it with a spray gun. if it was me i'd look at investing in a spray gun and compressor for this job.

ive got a gun and compressor wont be doing it by rattle can, gonna mask a section off in a bit and see how it goes..proffesional correction?? to peel it off..think i can manage that one myself :lol:

You mean the way vinyl 'just peels off'. Because no one has ever ended up with knife marks and scratches all over their paint from a bodged vinyl removal...

I'm on your side here, I just don't want you to end up with a shite-looking car because you hadn't thought this through properly. That's the point of mooting the idea on a forum surely?

The fact that you'll be using a spray gun significantly increases your chance of success I'd say :thumbs:

DB

i hear you DB and glad you bring it to my attention as it does make me consider it more, if it looked bad i wouldnt do it believe me but if people do it on a GTR/M3/Audi that are worth considerably more than my car i cant see why its looked so badly upon, had the car nearly 4 years its got stone chips all over it and light scratches so needs respraying at some point so thought heres away i can have the best of both worlds even if for only a year.

My friends helping me too and hes quite handy with spraying so im not alone he can get some of the blame to :lol:

yeah im doing it properly not 10 cans in my back garden :lol: and take pride in the fact i will do it mostly myself