Opinions on transparent film wrap.....

malibu stacey

Hi All,

Having just parted with a wedge of cash getting the car resprayed I am extremely paranoid about stone chips. The car used to be my daily, however so far I have managed to kick the other half out of his Focus and on to a push bike so my car can stay in the garage :p (Not sure how long that will last with our wet winters! :angry: )

To remedy this I am considering having the front end of the car wrapped in 'Car Protect' transparent polyurethane film. I am after peoples thoughts and opinions of the product, i.e. how long it last, does it discolour in the sun, does it effect the look of the paintwork.

My car will be attending a lot of shows next year so I do not want to comprimise the deep shine & reflectiveness of the paintwork.

Thanks

S :)

My car will be attending a lot of shows next year

Don't wish to be horrrible, but maybe you should have waited till after the winter !!

Cost of wrap ?

How good a job it does ?

Looks when removed ?

All things to think of, but you could end up having to have it re painted for the shows next year. How long is a piece of string ???? :shrug::shrug:

Don't wish to be horrrible, but maybe you should have waited till after the winter !!

Cost of wrap ?

How good a job it does ?

Looks when removed ?

All things to think of, but you could end up having to have it re painted for the shows next year. How long is a piece of string ???? :shrug::shrug:

As stated in my post the car will stay garaged for most of the winter so the timing of the respray is not an issue, it was a now or never situation. I was thinking off having the wrap long term if it could save stone chips cracking the bumper, I know how much it costs and I think it is pretty reasonable if it works.

I was just after feedback from anyone who has used a similar product previously to help make a decision.

I was looking into getting my car resprayed and then protection wrapped and one place told me you shouldn't get it wrapped straight away. think they said to wait a few months.

Yes, I have been told to leave it at least 6 weeks.

Its the Marmite syndrome this one.

It does a job but does it look right?

You will get away with it on a white car but looks really bad on a red one.

Mine has it on from factory except the front end where you thought was most important!

What price are you talking about as everyone will ask that one?

best of luck.

:drive1

Cost of wrap ?

How good a job it does ?

Looks when removed ?

Twice the distance from the center to any one of it's 2 given ends!

:wacko:

Sorry Chris I have to much time on my hands. :dummy:

I've seen various films on various different cars, and the following is generally true on all of them:

Yes, it's noticeable. Not from a distance, but definitely from arms length.

If it gets hit by a stone, it will mark just like paint. Not as easily, and you still have the paint underneath, but there will be a mark you cannot get rid of.

They do yellow with age, but we're talking years rather than months. With a garaged car that only came out for shows I very much doubt this would ever be an issue, as it's the UV that does the damage.

You'll never get as good a finish as you can with just paint. The shine simply isn't there.

In terms of how well it protects the paint, it does an exceptional job. It will still look battered and worn, but once you peel it off then underneath is immaculate.

I've considered it on most of my cars, and I always come to the conclusion that since a front-end respray is equal to or less than the cost of having the film professionally applied, you might as well just budget for a respray once every couple of years instead.

I've seen various films on various different cars, and the following is generally true on all of them:

Yes, it's noticeable. Not from a distance, but definitely from arms length.

If it gets hit by a stone, it will mark just like paint. Not as easily, and you still have the paint underneath, but there will be a mark you cannot get rid of.

They do yellow with age, but we're talking years rather than months. With a garaged car that only came out for shows I very much doubt this would ever be an issue, as it's the UV that does the damage.

You'll never get as good a finish as you can with just paint. The shine simply isn't there.

In terms of how well it protects the paint, it does an exceptional job. It will still look battered and worn, but once you peel it off then underneath is immaculate.

I've considered it on most of my cars, and I always come to the conclusion that since a front-end respray is equal to or less than the cost of having the film professionally applied, you might as well just budget for a respray once every couple of years instead.

Thanks for this extremely helpful! It never ever crossed my mind to compare the price to the cost of respraying the front end (blonde!) :thumbs:

ekona said what i would have said,

also facotr in that the new paint spray you have has probably more than doubled the original nissan paint thickness. and should be better wearing than nissan.

nissan paint is notoriuosly soft, it chips easily and you can even to some extent sqidge it back in place for a repair.(not if its really deep.)

your new paint should be better wearing than the nissan, and more resiliant to chipping.

nissan paint is notoriuosly soft, it chips easily and you can even to some extent sqidge it back in place for a repair.(not if its really deep.

We manufacture and paint automotive components by the thousands every day. One of the many paint tests that we have to do is to check for film hardness. It surprises most people to find out that it done with lead pencils, honest, it's true. Take a look here.

http://www.astm.org/SNEWS/SEPTEMBER_200 ... ept02.html

Steve

I take the opposite view that prevention is better than cure so had Fendershield fitted to the front of my 370 from new and it has done a great job, not a stone chip anywhere and is very resiliant to marking. The film itself has been on for nearly 3 years has not yellowed and polishes as well as the paintwork, i will concede that up close it can be seen but to my mind that is a small price to pay for perfect paintwork.

I take the opposite view that prevention is better than cure so had Fendershield fitted to the front of my 370 from new and it has done a great job, not a stone chip anywhere and is very resiliant to marking. The film itself has been on for nearly 3 years has not yellowed and polishes as well as the paintwork, i will concede that up close it can be seen but to my mind that is a small price to pay for perfect paintwork.

I never saw it Kev!

Incidently if i don't ask someone else will. How much?

:drive1

My first thought on this matter was to just get it resprayed as i wasnt sure what the shield would look like and given the cost i may as well have the respray but seeing Kevs car gave me pause for thought. It did look really good, was not immediately obvious and when you did see it it looked fine on the car, very subtle. It hadnt aged and the front of his car was mark free. it looked really good and i wished i had put that on Rosie.

I was out with my mate for dinner a week or so ago and he'd been removing a 'shield' type wrap from a 911. Nightmare to remove by the way.....

Anyway, he showed me some pictures of it being removed, it was yellowed, swirled, dull and generally not very nice to look at. From a distance it looked fine however when you saw the nice paint underneath it really made you wonder why you'd bother putting it on. I actually saw pics of the car finished too (post detailing) and it looked like a different car.

It's lovely to keep your paint fresh for the next owner however I'd rather enjoy it myself if I'm honest.

I used to be an assistant applying it as a part-time job. I'll try and set a few pointers out:

-It doesn't chip and definitely doesnt scratch as easily as paint, you can quite happily key your car with it, and unless you really dig in with force, there will be no mark. I'm happy to do this on my own car in front of anyone! Also, even if it does scratch or chip the film a bit, because its clear its much harder to see than a white line or white chunk out of blue or red paint, for example.

-Yes it's expensive, but will resist more scratches than plain paint, and you don't have to worry about respraying just your bumper and the colour not matching.

-Kits are usually made to measure for specific models, and cover the danger areas (different for each car, but usual basic kit is half bonnet, front bumper and half front wings. maybe front of spoilers/splitters and front of rear wheel arches).

-99% of the time, nobody notices unless they take a really good, hard look. I personally don't think it affects shininess much at all (I have my full bonnet done so a big, flat panel!) but it will never be the same as metallic I guess. You can see the lines where the film stops, but again, only if you look closely! If you get full panels done this is much less noticeable. Having a half bonnet, you can often tell when showroom/petrol station lights reflect differently from the non covered half to the covered half, but again, it doesnt make the car stand out as looking odd!

-White cars are most prone to showing yellowing, pretty much every other colour is fine. UV will eventually yellow it but as has been said only after a few years.

-3M is supposed to be the best stuff, so try and find an installer who uses it.

-It can be cleaned and polished just like any paint. Just no really hot water (but you wouldnt wash your car with that anyway...).

:) welcome to come and see mine anytime!

I was out with my mate for dinner a week or so ago and he'd been removing a 'shield' type wrap from a 911. Nightmare to remove by the way.....

Anyway, he showed me some pictures of it being removed, it was yellowed, swirled, dull and generally not very nice to look at. From a distance it looked fine however when you saw the nice paint underneath it really made you wonder why you'd bother putting it on. I actually saw pics of the car finished too (post detailing) and it looked like a different car.

It's lovely to keep your paint fresh for the next owner however I'd rather enjoy it myself if I'm honest.

I agree with you on that score Stew but if your the same as me we are the types that wipe every spec of dust off and keep detailing stuff in the car.

So if anything were to occure we would be climbing all over it.

If you want maintenance free then put it on.

If you likie to polish then keep it off!

B)

Thanks Guys this has given me alot of food for thought! :headhurt:

So I just need to decide what I want more:

1. Appreciate the paint in all its glory

2. Protect the precious paint, and have a little more peace of mind

Contact Robbie at Valet Magic in Camberley - he has an amazing reputation for wrapping on the GT-R owners club (yes I am there too.). He does clear wrapping as well as colour wraps.

Maybe he wont work out to be the cheapest but his work is incredible.

David

If your happy with the work and you are going for the clear wrap, makes sense to get Taras to do it does it not?

After all he is a wraper lol.

B)

Don't do it , as said it might look ok from a distance but from a metre away the shine on the paint isn't there. Yes they are good because you don't get stone chips but I would rather have some than the film.

I removed mine from my Kuro when I bought it , Total Nightmare to remove but looks much better now

If your happy with the work and you are going for the clear wrap, makes sense to get Taras to do it does it not?

After all he is a wraper lol.

B)

That is who I was going to use :thumbs: